Adult Written byjumpinbini April 9, 2008
I liked this movie mainly because of the way it portrays people who are mentally disabled. I feel that when people think of the mentally disabled that they automatically think that they are incapable of many things. This movie shows that there are many fully functioning people who are mentally disabled. Another message that I took from the movie is that sometimes people get wrapped up in their work and lose sight of things that are important to them such as their children or their marriage. And sometimes it takes a step back to see the bigger picture. A good movie about love and the great lengths that people will go to retain it.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Brilliant (though sad) film; Penn, Pfieffer, and Fanning shine.

I Am Sam tells the story of Sam Dawson (Sean Peen), a mentally challenged man who works at IHOP. He is given the surprise of his life when he realizes that he must take care of a child (he accidentally got a homeless woman pregnant when she slept with him). He names the child Lucy Diamond Dawson (Dakota Fanning), after a Beatles song. On her 7th birthday, authorities take away Lucy, thinking that she will have a more successful life if she is parented by someone who isn't mentally challenged. Sam must now fight for his right to maintain custody of Lucy with help from his lawyer Rita (Michelle Pfieffer). This movie contains strong language for a PG-13. There are several utters of "b*tch", "hell", "g*ddamn", and one use of "f*ck". The movie also contains some sexual content (Rita's husband has sex with other women, Sam gets a homeless woman pregnant by accident, a hooker comes on to Sam in a restaurant) and heavy commercialism for IHOP, The Beatles, and Nickelodeon. Despite its confusing ending (we don't learn whether or not Sam regains custody of Lucy), I Am Sam is a wonderful movie that I whole-heartedly recommend to everyone.
Parent of a 5, 5, 11, and 15 year old Written bygoodman April 7, 2011

A good messages

BAD WORDS BAD i lets my 11 and my 15 year old wach it but i will wait till my 5 year olds see it till there 7.Some kid will get the messages and some will not BUT it is a good movie for ALL family.The role models thay work hard and keep going on.
Educator and Parent of a 14, 17, and 18+ year old Written byBethDiane January 17, 2011

A movie that my daughter and my husband can agree on!

Love it! Finally, a movie that shares a message of hardship and compassion without feeling sugar-coated. It does inspire family conversations, but the product placement is mild and realistic, and the out of wedlock pregnancy isn't glamorized (that saves me a lot of words). The movie is unforgettable -- a joy!