All parent member reviews for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byachilleseffect July 10, 2009

Extreme Gender Bias

My problem with this movie lies in the gender stereotypes it perpetuates. First, there are too few female characters. Second, the ones that are present are highly stereotypical. The female squirrel uses her feminine wiles to manipulate the male. Ultimately, she is rescued by him and, of course, falls in love. Once the two are "married" she turns into a bossy shrew and he longs for escape. Terrible messages all around. Then there is Ellie. I see that other people consider her a strong role model, and in many ways she is. She is brave and courageous. Yet she is held back from rescuing Sid the Sloth because she is having a baby. How convenient that the baby comes just as they are about to go on the most dangerous part of their mission, which keeps her out of the hero role - a situation that is all too common for female characters in kids' movies. What kind of message does this movie send about women? They are either manipulative vamps or beatific mothers who are strong enough to bear children but not qualified to be rescuers. On the male side, we have other stereotypes, namely the idea that men cannot talk about their feelings. Manny is very uncomfortable admitting how he feels about his friends. Ultimately he is shown to be wrong in this belief, but his discomfort never quite goes away. Very unfortunate. This film was funny and had lots of action, but it sends entirely the wrong message about gender.
Adult Written bydkrdm July 24, 2009
I took my kids 4 and 8. Both loved it, and it was fun. We all enjoyed the new character "Buck". I'm disappointed in some of the sexual humor in the movie -- why must they include that? In addition to stuff already referenced here there is a scene where Mannie and Diego are being digested by a carnivorus plant. As the digestive juices rise, Diego says "oh, I'm all tingly" to which Mannie replies "don't say that when you are pressed up against me". Another reference later about a character "coming out". I'm sure most kids don't get the references, but they were just really unnecessary. The overall message was good. Sometimes families change (i.e. the introduction of a baby changes a lot), but in the end families (or the pack) stick together . . . and a family can come in many non-traditional forms. I also liked Sid's "mothering" of the dino eggs. Cute and sweet. Overall a good movie, just annoyed about the unnecessary sexual humor.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 June 17, 2010

Not my favorite

I didn't like it when I took my 5yr old to see it. The T-Rex was scary. The jokes and innuendo about homosexuality were un-funny. The language was not cool. But the thing I hated most was the implication about adoption. My daughter, who I adopted as a baby, saw Sid's "adoption" of the 3 baby t-rexes as "stealing from the mama" - which in fact is how the movie portrayed it. The baby dinos, however attached they became to Sid, were not supposed to be with him. They think Sid is their mama and we're supposed to laugh about that. Meanwhile their mom is furious, and we're supposed to laugh about Sid's peril - well, he stole away her babies after all. What was the movie saying about adoption? Anything? Well, this adoptive mom and her 5yr old daughter got some confusing messages from it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byerinmort December 16, 2009

fine if they already know the birds and bees

my only concern with this movie was the discussion of giving birth and contractions. my daughter is young enough that those words dont mean anything yet. but in kids a little older it might raise questions you werent ready for yet.
Adult Written byBan Moy June 13, 2015

Fun sequel has more edge than original.

Parents need to know that this sequel has more edge than the first two. Positive messages: 4/5 The film shows the importance of staying together as a family. Role models: 2/5 Manny is annoyed by Sid often and shows it. Violence: 3/5 Several intense action scenes. Sex: 2/5 Occasional innuendo. Drugs: 0/5 None Consumerism: 0/5 None Off for ages 3 and under, Pause for ages 4-6, On for ages 7+
Parent Written byImSpidey2 July 26, 2012

Not bad!

In my opinion, this is the worst Ice Age sequel. But that doesn't mean I think it's bad. A lot of kids love dinosaurs, but you have to be careful about the violence. I bet they'll love Buck...he's hilarious!
Adult Written byggover July 10, 2011

potty humour

I noticed a fourth one was coming out so i decided to watch this with my brother and sister. I was a big fan of the first one and the second one was okay, so i figured there would remain a consistency... i was wrong. It was lazily put together. There were blatant adult jokes. I mean...sure they go right over a kid's head, but they weren't even strategically placed. Plus there was an unholy amount of potty humor which was more gross than anything else. The little possum things are obnoxious. I think if the creators took a little more time and care it could have been a better movie. tldr. poor character development and too much potty humour plus all of the good moments were put in the commercials :|
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycorneater January 23, 2010
This movie is a cute thing to watch with ur child. My 3 year old son and I watched this movie 2gether. He luvs Sid and what can I say? Who doesn't? U will laugh a lot at this creative movie. So watch it. It is totally worth the watch!
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

not as good, but still a good movie

the ice age franchise continues to entertain me... this one is no exception, but it is slightly less than the others... each movie steps down a notch in this way... i was highly anticipating this but when i saw it it just wasn't.... SCRAT IS AMAZINK still a great movie... some weird comments and a little scary... i was hoping Rudy to be a LOT more menacing and a LOT more scary, but that's just me. kids will dig it.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byquirkybird November 9, 2009

We loved it!

This was our family's favorite Ice Age movie by far. super cute!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byNonni1215 October 29, 2009
Adult Written bybeph September 19, 2009

CUTE!

cute cute cute! my husband and i loved this movie and so did the children in the audience who were practically repeating the entire movie during and on the way out of the theatre. it wasnt as good as the first or second but i fall for movies with new familes!
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 7 year old Written bylosipchak August 26, 2009

Good for the whole Family

All my kids liked it. It's a fun movie.
Parent Written byMontses mom August 21, 2009

My 3 years old loved it.

My 3 years old was laughing out loud since the movie started, we went to watch it twice because she loved it and lets face it there are not a lot of movies for young kids. Rex was a little scary for her though. The squirrels flirt a lot but there is nothing a kid shouldn't see.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bykaloren August 4, 2009

Fun movie for the family, almost

We all saw this as a fmaily,e ven Grandma enjoyed it. But, my more senstive 8 year old had night mares about the dinosaurs that same night. So, although I think it's a great movie, I'd be sure you're kids like scary characters and can deal with peril.
Parent Written bymom2punkynbear July 30, 2009

Surprisingly fine for my young kids

We liked it AND the kids loved it. Even my 2y/o wasn't scared by the dinosaurs. The message on friendship is a good one. Mostly it's just fun entertainment for my toddler and preschooler.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byRamirez Family July 23, 2009
This is the first theatre movie our little one went to. He loved it. He's not even 3 yet, but sits through movies at home.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byamyriggsby July 21, 2009

Loved it !!

We all loved it, Great movie. However the kids were a little disappointed they did not get to see more of the baby mammoth, it was near the end and they were using the insults towards Sid on each other on the way home but other than that it was a wonderful movie.
Parent Written byernesto July 19, 2009

My kid had a blast but i had to explain a ton of stuff

My kid loves movies, still it has some scary moments. I found the moment when the characters get intoxicated worriing, because the message transmited is "ITS FUN BEING INTOXICATED, and there are are little or none consecuences to wrong doings and other stuff.And i could go on and on. Still i loved it and so did my kid, and helped me to explain some things to his level.
Adult Written bycheychy85 July 18, 2009

great fun

It was funny, and action packed. everyone should see it at least once..