All parent member reviews for Ice Princess

Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

Sends the WRONG message to our smart girls!

This movie is pretty innocuous on the surface, but the message is incredibly wrong for this era's young people. A very intelligent girl - highly gifted in math and science - is portrayed as making a good choice to pursue a VERY unrealistic dream of ice skating, mostly to flaunt what is percieved as her mother's dream that she go to Harvard. While some parents may be trying to fulfill their own dreams, most are just trying to get their children to make good and wise life choices about what the future really holds. This movie would otherwise be OK, but the message is all wrong for our smart young girls.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom of 3 Girlz February 19, 2013

Not quite for seven year olds

I think common sense missed the boat on this one. Girl lies to mom about going to a party, uses the mousy unpopular girl as her cover story. Not a 7 year old story line. Other girl lies to mom about what she does after school. Moms act irresponsibly. Ok, it's a movie. But I don't think 7 year olds quite get the fine lines and gray areas these characters cross. Also, the whole let's throw away our brilliant mind & hard work to chase our out-of-nowhere incredible skating talent is an uninspiring plot line.
Parent of a 7 and 18 year old Written byMidwestMom September 4, 2009

Lots to talk about....

I too really disliked the ultimate message of this movie...Not that all movies have to tow the line and be Politically Correct.. But it really would have been fabulous to have had a smart and beautiful protagonist who majors in physics at Harvard AND ice skates. There are just so very few positive images and role models in the media for girls. What if you don't want to be a rock/pop/movie/webcast star, a star athlete or a model??? I feel as though I spend major amounts of my time trying to counter the Disney and Cartoon Network images of girls and women...and we don't really watch much TV at all!
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 January 10, 2012

nice!

i thought it was sweet and yet insipiring a truly nice movie
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypegzhere April 9, 2008

Very cute!

Very cute movie! I was pleasantly surprised that there was some variation to the normal "tweenie" formula. My only problem was with loose usage of the words "stupid" and "idiot". Also the very last scene sort of does a 180 on the message the movie pretty successfully gave. But what kid is actually watching at that point? The climax of the movie was already over. Also there could have been more skating scenes to keep it from getting a bit slow in parts - who doesn't like those?
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

was glad to have my daughter as an excuse to see this

I completely enjoyed the movie, wept copiously. Much of the message was above my 6-year-old's head, but she enjoyed the skating.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Perfect Mom/Daugher Outing

My 8 year old loved this as did the 11 year old girl who came with us.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikilj April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypiggyslp April 9, 2008

Very Inspiring for young dreamers.

I was impressed with this teen that uses her academic skills to follow her dreams. Her respect for her mother was obvious even in the face of disagreement. A must see for any parent to remember our children's dreams are not those we would choose, but are just as important. Wonderful actors and actresses all around. Team building and supportive. A must buy for home library.
Adult Written byrhapsody722 April 9, 2008

great girly movie

this was a great movie that showed keeping a good head and figuring out your dreams-while not being afraid to stay smart is what it's all about. It's a little over the head for some kids on the moral issues-but it was a great movie.
Adult Written bylorlinhail April 9, 2008

Sweet story kids and moms will enjoy

Adult Written byicebluejanuary April 9, 2008
Adult Written bysandywabbit April 9, 2008

I LOVE IT

Probably the reason I like it is all the ice skating. One of my dreams is to be a ice skating champion and this movie says that you really have to work if you want your dreams to come true. It insprired me to work hard to reach my goals and that anything is possible when you want it more than anything. I think this is an excellent movie for all ages.