Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for If I Stay

Heartbreaking but faithful adaptation will please book fans.

Parent Written byDan G. August 24, 2014

Glamorizes irresponsible sex between children

The main problem for children in this movie is that it portrays sexual acts between the main character and her boyfriend, high schoolers, as a wonderful, positive, wholesome experience. The high school girl even seduces her boyfriend. Of course, there is no talk of the consequences of engaging in reproductive activity, so it would be understandable how your children would leave this movie thinking that sex is something for girls to pursue (and that it is not about making new kids). Other objectionable elements are exposure to homosexual activity and significant crude language. For adults, the story line is very contrived and predictable, not really worth a trip to the theaters to see.

Adult Written byTeenBoyzDad August 25, 2014

Depends on Your Family's Values

I really liked the movie, but I'm a music teacher so I'm biased. This movie shows a girl actually practicing her instrument to get better instead of the "Glee" style "Come back tomorrow with a song about 'heartbreak'" (all arranged, choreographed and perfected overnight). HOWEVER - the movie does give the impression that intercourse is the next step after passionate kissing, and that that is fine if you're 17 and in love. Yes, it happens in the book, but putting it onscreen is what teaches that it's OK. My 15 year old son loved the book, but he's not seeing the movie for a year or two.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byAmira1976 November 20, 2014

Very Unrealistic with a Spoilt Message

One thing is that teenaged sex should not be promoted at any level (there TWILIGHT is a champion) and this film does exactly that. But the disappointment comes with the moral of the story. While I understand that the main message here is to stay alive no matter what and that life is worth living (which I agree with 99%) , on the whole the message is useless because the reason behind it is not well-grounded. In general, I can say that a guy like him (Adam) will never fall for a girl like Mia, but if he does, he will not be crazy in love, rather just have her until he takes her virginity and then leaves her or even if he stays with her for some mysterious reason, he will cheat on her continuously. This guy just does not exist. (I wish he did) And that is my biggest problem with the movie: the girl decides to stay alive for this non-existing guy, plus she finds out she has been accepted to the university she has always dreamed of. So what hope is there for a teenaged girl who loses her family, has no "perfect, absolutely smashing and succesful boyfriend who gives up everything for her(?!!?!?) and even worse, is not an unusually talented, beautiful girl, who wins either way she chooses (and loses either way he chooses)? I was bored stiff at some parts. I was only moved to tears at two parts: when the brother dies and when the grandfather says he accepts her death. When Adam comes up with the guitar and his song for her is just way too predictable and Hollywoodish. If the girl had died in the end and we did not see her ghost all the time, the film could have been more shocking thus really educational with a great message: do not wait until it is too late.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez November 28, 2014

14 and up.

this love and emotional drama movie if i stay is one of the most touching and great movie to see stars with Chloe Moretz from the movie kick-ass this drama movie is great for your older teens to watch but parents you need to know that if i stay has some disturbing moments where Mia is in a coma in a hospital where Mia's boyfriend, grandparents, and friends are also shown sobbing, embracing, and grieving the loss of their loved ones also there's some love sex scenes but nothing explicit and no nudity shown there's also some mild language used and some underage drinking seen despite the disturbing moments of the film the movie does have a positive message and its about love and relationships and the role model is that Mia's are wonderful, and their relationship with her is everything a parent or teen could hope for: open, understanding, trusting, and encouraging. Mia is also a lovely and caring big sister to Teddy and a true best friend to Kim. Mia and Adam's relationship is on the intense side for a teen romance, but it's deep and mature, not just about looks or sex. They respect each other as musicians, and each understands that the other one's career might take them away, even if it hurts to consider separation. Mia's grandparents are also portrayed in a loving manner.

Parent Written bysarahrocks8913 January 12, 2015

it is a great movie for eleven year old's if they are mature!

it was a great movie with one sex scene showing (the shoulders.) other than that it is a great movie!!! :)
Adult Written byalysonab September 9, 2014

great movie

i saw this movie with my 11 year old and she loved it.

Adult Written byMarieC 3 September 19, 2015

Directed to the production team of the movie

I just finished watching your movie if I stay, let me start by saying that you had an amazing concept behind this whole production however I felt like the movie was rushed, it lack details. It felt like you guys got tired of writing the screenplay and ended it on a sloppy note. It lack of that one thing that brings it all together to just make the viewer fall in love because I know I was waiting for that moment to separate this movie from the regulars to a classic. Don't get me wrong it was a good movie, the acting was great , however it felt like you did not give the actors enough dialogue to take this movie to another level. When Mia wakes up and the movie ends, it feels like you left an opening for sequel but sequels never work when it comes to romantic movies, honestly. I'm not writing this to be another critics because let's be real chances are you are never going to read this. If you however do I hope you know I enjoyed your movie but just felt like there was so much more potential to it.
Adult Written byvalentinegoethals October 15, 2014

great touching movie !

I saw the movie 'if I stay' in the cinema with some friends. The film was very emotional, so the majority of the watchers was crying. Nevertheless everybody loved it. So did I. It's a great movie for youngsters and parents. I do not recommend this film to children under the age of 13 because I think they would not understand every detail. The film is definitely a recommendation!
Adult Written byFujimo January 30, 2016

Glamorizes teen sex

I watched this with my 13 y/o daughter. What a mistake. The movie sends the message that sex as a teen is a good thing. The movie also contains under aged drinking. Would defiantly not recommend this movie.

Adult Written byaic2003 August 21, 2015

Great

This Movie was a great family movie I am 12 there was no "bad" sences in this movie and if your kid is mature enough this will be a great movie

Parent of a 11 year old Written byGoodParent37 November 2, 2014

Good !

I think that this movie is good but could be better. My 11 year-old daughter saw it and I think it's not that appropriate for kids her age ! I think you should be between 15-17 to see it. It's hard to understand for kids her age and it's really sensible.

Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written byTeasaTheBabysitter July 12, 2015

Amazing

I think that if your child could buy the book in a book store, or borrow it from the library, they're old enough to watch the movie. The movie was moving and just pulls so hard on your heart. There is one small sex scene in the movie, but it's more romantic then sexy. There is so much more going on in the movie then just that.

Adult Written bymillyr July 4, 2015

The ending

I feel that the ending of the film was very bad as I cried for the full 1 hour and 46 mins of the film and for the ending to be like that I don't understand why the film was produced :)

Adult Written bymagbens9 December 15, 2014

Loved the book & the movie!

I thought that the movie did a great job of staying true to the book and that everything was done very artfully.

Adult Written byargs January 2, 2016
Adult Written byTKMORENO December 5, 2018

Good teen romance/drama

If you’re looking for a teen romance tear jerker you will enjoy If I stay. If I Stay is a teen romance/ drama based off the book by Gayle Forman. It is directed by R.J. Cutler and stars Chloe Grace Mortez and Jamie Blackley. Staying true to the book, the movie goes back in time, showing the progression of Mia (Chloe Grace Mortez) and Adam’s (Jamie Blackley) relationship. Mia is a young cellist who meets rock star boyfriend Adam. Despite their obvious differences both appreciate the other’s passion for music. Mia’s biggest decision is whether to go to Julliard after so auditions. This is until a tragic car accident that takes her family from her and sends her into a comatose state where she must decide whether to stay or go. A lot of her decisions are based around the fact she will wake up an orphan. Should she stay and be with her grandparents, friends, and Adam? Or should she leave to be with her family? Overall the movie is good if you enjoy teen romance. It has the awkward girl and the cool popular guy together as an unlikely couple. Throughout the movie Mia faces challenges with who she should be. This is something most, if not all teenagers can relate to. Her relationship with Adam is intimate. Often, they find themselves in heated conversations as they struggle to find what path they should take in life. This only intensifies when Mia thinks of Julliard as a possibility. This will put distance between the two and with Adam’s band’s growing popularity, they find it hard to hold onto their young relationship. The viewers can relate to most of this in some way or another as all of us have been in some type of relationship or have had to make the difficult decision on where we will go in life after high school. Chloe Grace Mortez is a successful actress who fits the part well as she was young when she took the role of Mia. Despite this, the interactions between Mia and Adam are awkward at times and almost forced. After a band gig Adam brings up Julliard and argues with Mia over the plans they had previously where they were going to move in together. Even though their voices are raised, and it is obvious that it is a heated argument, Jamie Blackley doesn’t seem to have enough expression. The conversations between Mia and Adam are straight to the point and always escalate. So intense that it gives a feeling of temporariness and infatuation. There is no way to really take the relationship seriously because of how rushed it is and how it does not allow you to follow it and watch it grow. This is a problem throughout the movie where he has the same facial expression no matter what he is talking about. With the other actors, Chloe Grace Mortez looks more convincing. Mia and her friends and family’s conversations are easy and full of inside jokes and an obvious connection. Watching Mia and Adams relationship is like observing as an outsider with no input. There is a lack of details that would have benefitted these characters. The music in the movie fit well at some parts but not so much at others. In the scene where Adam is running to the hospital after hearing of the family’s car accident, the music is an almost upbeat melody. It is more of a comfortable song rather than one to make you feel the seriousness of the situation. Adding Tom Odell’s song, Heal was a good choice for an emotional moment at the end of the movie. The movie’s special effects were decent, although the car crash didn’t have enough gore for how serious it was. Lack of gruesome detail worked well for targeting younger audiences. Although, some still argue that the car accident and intimate scenes between Adam and Mia are inappropriate for younger teens. The hospital scene where she chooses to go, she walks through the hospital hallway toward a door filled with warm light as it silhouettes her form. As she looks out the door the warm light touches her smiling face. You feel her peace and it was a beautiful scene that has been well executed. Overall this is a movie for teens, especially the ones that love a good tragic teen love story. If this is not your cup of tea, then If I stay is not the movie for you.