Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 20 parent reviews

Sort by:

It’s the best!!!!

Others say that this has little inappropriate scenes but people over 11 should start to feel comfortable with this kind of stuff. My 11 year old loved this movie

Terrible Ending

The ending was the worst! The movie is sad and ropes you in only to end so suddenly! Please don’t waste your time on this!!!!

Great Movie

This was an amazing and heartwarming movie. Great for anyone over the age of twelve. A little bit of cursing. No nudity, just passionate kissing. Great messages and role models. Wonderful movie.

Good teen romance/drama

If you’re looking for a teen romance tear jerker you will enjoy If I stay. If I Stay is a teen romance/ drama based off the book by Gayle Forman. It is directed by R.J. Cutler and stars Chloe Grace Mortez and Jamie Blackley. Staying true to the book, the movie goes back in time, showing the progression of Mia (Chloe Grace Mortez) and Adam’s (Jamie Blackley) relationship. Mia is a young cellist who meets rock star boyfriend Adam. Despite their obvious differences both appreciate the other’s passion for music. Mia’s biggest decision is whether to go to Julliard after so auditions. This is until a tragic car accident that takes her family from her and sends her into a comatose state where she must decide whether to stay or go. A lot of her decisions are based around the fact she will wake up an orphan. Should she stay and be with her grandparents, friends, and Adam? Or should she leave to be with her family? Overall the movie is good if you enjoy teen romance. It has the awkward girl and the cool popular guy together as an unlikely couple. Throughout the movie Mia faces challenges with who she should be. This is something most, if not all teenagers can relate to. Her relationship with Adam is intimate. Often, they find themselves in heated conversations as they struggle to find what path they should take in life. This only intensifies when Mia thinks of Julliard as a possibility. This will put distance between the two and with Adam’s band’s growing popularity, they find it hard to hold onto their young relationship. The viewers can relate to most of this in some way or another as all of us have been in some type of relationship or have had to make the difficult decision on where we will go in life after high school. Chloe Grace Mortez is a successful actress who fits the part well as she was young when she took the role of Mia. Despite this, the interactions between Mia and Adam are awkward at times and almost forced. After a band gig Adam brings up Julliard and argues with Mia over the plans they had previously where they were going to move in together. Even though their voices are raised, and it is obvious that it is a heated argument, Jamie Blackley doesn’t seem to have enough expression. The conversations between Mia and Adam are straight to the point and always escalate. So intense that it gives a feeling of temporariness and infatuation. There is no way to really take the relationship seriously because of how rushed it is and how it does not allow you to follow it and watch it grow. This is a problem throughout the movie where he has the same facial expression no matter what he is talking about. With the other actors, Chloe Grace Mortez looks more convincing. Mia and her friends and family’s conversations are easy and full of inside jokes and an obvious connection. Watching Mia and Adams relationship is like observing as an outsider with no input. There is a lack of details that would have benefitted these characters. The music in the movie fit well at some parts but not so much at others. In the scene where Adam is running to the hospital after hearing of the family’s car accident, the music is an almost upbeat melody. It is more of a comfortable song rather than one to make you feel the seriousness of the situation. Adding Tom Odell’s song, Heal was a good choice for an emotional moment at the end of the movie. The movie’s special effects were decent, although the car crash didn’t have enough gore for how serious it was. Lack of gruesome detail worked well for targeting younger audiences. Although, some still argue that the car accident and intimate scenes between Adam and Mia are inappropriate for younger teens. The hospital scene where she chooses to go, she walks through the hospital hallway toward a door filled with warm light as it silhouettes her form. As she looks out the door the warm light touches her smiling face. You feel her peace and it was a beautiful scene that has been well executed. Overall this is a movie for teens, especially the ones that love a good tragic teen love story. If this is not your cup of tea, then If I stay is not the movie for you.

Glamorizes teen sex

I watched this with my 13 y/o daughter. What a mistake. The movie sends the message that sex as a teen is a good thing. The movie also contains under aged drinking. Would defiantly not recommend this movie.

good

Directed to the production team of the movie

I just finished watching your movie if I stay, let me start by saying that you had an amazing concept behind this whole production however I felt like the movie was rushed, it lack details. It felt like you guys got tired of writing the screenplay and ended it on a sloppy note. It lack of that one thing that brings it all together to just make the viewer fall in love because I know I was waiting for that moment to separate this movie from the regulars to a classic. Don't get me wrong it was a good movie, the acting was great , however it felt like you did not give the actors enough dialogue to take this movie to another level. When Mia wakes up and the movie ends, it feels like you left an opening for sequel but sequels never work when it comes to romantic movies, honestly. I'm not writing this to be another critics because let's be real chances are you are never going to read this. If you however do I hope you know I enjoyed your movie but just felt like there was so much more potential to it.

Great

This Movie was a great family movie I am 12 there was no "bad" sences in this movie and if your kid is mature enough this will be a great movie

Amazing

I think that if your child could buy the book in a book store, or borrow it from the library, they're old enough to watch the movie. The movie was moving and just pulls so hard on your heart. There is one small sex scene in the movie, but it's more romantic then sexy. There is so much more going on in the movie then just that.