Kid reviews for If I Stay

Heartbreaking but faithful adaptation will please book fans.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygmvyoshi August 22, 2014

Great movie!

"If I Stay" is a great movie and I loved it! The movie is great for anyone 14+. (I agree with CommonSenseMedia.) The language wasn't horrible. B--ch, bulls--t, s--t, s--thead, a--hole, p-ssed, and "to get laid.". The sex scenes weren't that bad either. (Although, I was surprised to see an 8 year old in the theater-which I thought was inappropriate) The first scene-Mia and Adam are shown from the top up slowly pulling each other's clothes off and then very briefly shown kissing naked. The second scene-Mia and Adam are, all of a sudden, shown naked but covered and then start kissing. Not nearly as revealing as The Fault In Our Stars. (In my opinion, they show a lot more in TFiOS than in If I Stay) drinking-underage drinking at party (Brief)Also, when Adam is talking to Mia about another girl when he's dropping Mia off at her house, he tells Mia that Adam and that girl have something in common: they both like girls. Then, the girl Adam was talking about is shown making-out with another girl. (Who are both lesbians) in the book, Mia's dad smokes a pipe, but not in the movie. 14+!!

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah September 5, 2014

Chloë Grace Moretz deserves better.

I'm not the target audience for this movie, but I love Moretz, and she's really the best part of this movie. Like her other performances, she's grounded and realistic and not going, "Oh, look how adorable I am," (even though she is) so she helps this for a bit, but she can't keep this afloat forever. This is 106 minutes, which is a comfortable runtime for any movie, but the characters have the same conversations multiple times and it really starts to wear on you. They talk about going to Juilliard at least five times and it gets pretty annoying. Even though the supernatural element here is a bit interesting, it all gets boring after about 50 minutes, which seems to be mostly due to the direction. The characters are fine; they aren't detestable but might come off as annoying (don't drive on mountain roads on a snow day because you WILL get in a car accident, duh), but carry the story along enough more the most part. However, the movie gets to be really manipulative as opposed to genuinely affecting, just throwing the saddest stuff at the screen. It doesn't come off as cynical or anything, but it just doesn't work. And side note: Jamie Blackley is six years older than Moretz, which is distracting and kind of creepy given that she's a minor in real life and he's an adult. 4.8/10, lame, two thumbs down, below average, etc.

Teen, 17 years old Written byhaa2015 September 1, 2014

Gripping story about family, but contains an unhealthy relationship

As an older teenage girl and self-proclaimed feminist, I found this movie highly cheesy and gag-wretching. The best parts of this movie are Mia's parents, who are funny, witty, and entertaining. I enjoyed watching Mia's relationship with her parents develop and seeing how attached she is to her family and extended family. However, Mia's unrealistic and often toxic relationship with her boyfriend screamed trouble. Adam is the type of boy that you NEVER want your daughter to bring home. He's moody, possessive, impulsive, and selfish, and it bothered me beyond belief to see Mia abandon her aspirations and her morals to be with him. I would highly recommend talking to your teen about healthy v. unhealthy relationships before allowing them to see this movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written bythelovelykat September 3, 2014

Made me really emotional

At the beginning of the movie, I wasn't sure what I thought about it. Everything about the main characters' relationship was wrong; they were moving too fast and acted like sex was no big deal. That's mainly why you should be at least 15 to see the movie, so you won't be swayed into believing that it is ok to have that kind of relationship before you're actually ready. So yeah, I didn't like the movie at first, but then when she started to have flashbacks and show all the stuff that happened throughout their relationship, I realized how much the characters loved each other and how perfect they were for each other. Don't get me wrong, their relationship isn't exactly the healthiest, but they definitely do complete each other. And then, of course, a bunch of emotional things happened and I ended up crying for the last half of the movie. I would definitely recommend this film to any teenager who needs a good romance movie and is okay with having their emotions played with (sometimes I wanted to punch something and other times I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry). Parents probably wouldn't enjoy this movie very much because they tend to think that teenage boys are overrated. To be honest, they're probably right.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 November 25, 2014

Meh.

This movie was disappointing and maybe that's just because I didn't read the book. But I thought it was NOT touching at all. It was kinda like the director was just like- "hey lets make a movie about a teen girl who gets in a car crash but ends up realizing she needs to stay even tho basically all of her family is dead she will stay because she has a 'hot' boyfriend that she can make-out with." If your a 13 year old teenager girl you might enjoy watching the two main characters make-out the whole movie but personally I didn't enjoy it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhipster_panda7 January 12, 2015

Really iffy for immature early teens

I absolutely loved this movie, but even at some parts (sex scenes where bare shoulders were shown) I felt like I shouldn't be watching it. I'm a mature 13 year old and could handle it, but please assess the maturity level of your teen before allowing them to see this.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylilywuzhere November 24, 2014

Loved it!

I loved this movie! It was a lot like the book (aside from the one mild sex scene), and was a total tear jerker! There is the one sex scene, but it's very mild compared to what is on TV and movies nowadays. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Kid, 10 years old August 23, 2014

Fine movie

I will have to say for twelve and up because of the sex there is some language include d--k a--face s--thead a--wipe a--hole b---hes s--t bulls--t crap and screwed that is pretty much it

Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 August 22, 2014

Book based film is tragic and will make you fall in love

This film based on the YA best seller is a tearjerker that will make you laugh and cry. Teens are sure to love the romance and chemistry between Adam and Mia. Content: Violence: the aftermath of the car acident is seen and is disturbing. Blood is seen. Sex: 2 brief and non-graphic love scenes are shown. Adams chest and arms are seen as well as Mia's shoulders under the sheets. One scene features Adam taking off his shirt and Mia unzipping her dress. Passionate kissing throughout. One lesbian kiss is glimpsed. Language: b***h is used 2 times. S**t is used 7 or so times. (One is said by a kid). Screw you is said as well as damn and hell MY RATING: PG-13/ for thematic and disturbing content and images, violence, alcohol use, and brief sexuality- all involving teens

Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2014

Grab some kleenex!

First of all like I said this movie makes you cry a ton! But only if you understand it. Kids may not understand what is going on or why people are crying while watching. The things in this movie that may not be okay for kids- boyfriend/girlfriend, sex, car crash, blood, hospital, people crying, screaming, swearing, but that's about it. This movie won't be super interesting for younger ones (especially boys) this is sort of a romance movie and so you should be mature enough to know what everything is and not to go around doing and saying things said and did in the movie. Overall this is worth seeing!

Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2014

Pretty Good

Just straight out- let me tell you that there is WAY more romance in the movie than there is in the book. Lots more kissing. I went to see this with my two friends and a mom, and by about the 18th kiss we were all looking around awkwardly. But anyway, it's a pretty good movie... if there were 3 1/2 stars I'd rate it that. Good acting by the leads, and it stays mostly faithful to the book (other than the romance). Yes, it's sad, but not really to the quality of "The Fault in our Stars." During the surgical scenes, you see a little blood but it doesn't go much further than that. The premise of a girl losing her mom, dad, and brother might be too much for some kids. A pretty good movie to see on a free weekend- but don't kill yourself to see it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMillie A. April 19, 2015

A few things to consider...

Ok a couple of things. 1. A lot of people say that this movie is a load of crap because in real life a guy like Adam would never fall for a girl like Mia. One of the main things in society people complain about is stereotypes that we can't seem to get rid of. This movie definitely defines the stereotypes. But for all those people who said Adam would never fall for a girl like Mia, you are proving to be the typical, sterotype-obsessive people. And you know what, i agree it is very unlikely, but somewhere in the world it has happened, you can guarantee. A lot of people think, I dont want my children seeing it for that reason, and what can it hurt? We complain about stereotypes all the time, and now we are restraining children from seeing it for that reason. It's only a movie! But, on the other hand, there is sexual activity, and it is not appropriate for all children, depending on how mature they are. It also has some devastating themes, so make sure your child is ready. Adam and Mia share a deep love that is not always understood in teenagers. They have a sexual relationship as well, which is not a great message for teens, but if your child is mature enough, than this movie is moving.People seem to think that the message was; I can follow to what ever comes next, or I can go back to make out with my hot boyfriend. If you have read the sequel, you would no that's not the case, but we are not talking about the sequel.Personally, I believe that Mia's decision is she can follow to the next life, or she can move on and resume her musical progression. But, it is your opinion, and if you think that a child is not going to take it that way, I would think twice. All in all, it was a reasonably good movie, with some good messages. And pack some tissues!
Teen, 15 years old Written byrave day November 3, 2014

If I Stay

Sex 4/10 Violence 1/10 Language 2/10
Teen, 16 years old Written byBawwy wazzy September 6, 2014

Dramatic teen friendly hit is too intense for younger teens

15 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byI_was_not_here_maybe September 21, 2014

It's good....

They go over problems that people have such as coping with death, the turbulence that happens with relationships when people are going on different paths. Some of the hospital scenes were a bit to gory for me... I think its fine for most teens despite that.

Kid, 11 years old November 6, 2015

So-so film doesn't live up to Gayle Forman's inspiring novel.

The young adult novel sparked a new 2014film based on the bestselling romance book. I obviously expected some sort of greatness in this film like The Fault in Our Stars, but what I got from the movie is a whole bit of non-senseical sexual situations, swearing and violence. There is blood, intense situations and alot of arguing and fighting. There are two sex scenes between teens, one very passionate. Adam has sex with Mia even though she was a virgin and he was not. Talk about sex and other sexual situations. There are hells, screw you, s--ts and goddamns. Adults drink alcohol. Mia has very strong flashbacks that shows the person she is, and Adam is a strong, couragous boy who can fight for his way. This is a disappointing adaption that I don't personally recommend.

Teen, 16 years old Written byElle.Sx September 4, 2014

Overated

This film was a big disappointment to me . The plot is quite dull and not enjoyable. I found that some scenes dragged out longer than they should. The main problem with this film is that it is very unrealistic. The relationship between Mia and Adam seems fake and pushed. The biggest disappointment was the ending. Nobody likes a film that just cuts out when you have so many unanswered questions. It will drive any viewer completely mad!! The film needs to be more realistic and show how teenagers actually behave and communicate and how families and friends deal with situations such as this. Overall i think this film is enjoyable for a younger audience, perhaps between ages 10-13 , anybody who isn't up for watching a cheesy romance i wouldn't advise seeing this .

Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2015

Good story, bad movie

This movie is really sad because the main character loses her family and the story is very touching but the movie gives the wrong idea. Also, Mia and Adam's relationship is very weird and unreal in general. Honestly, this movie was kind of disappointing with a fake relationship and a VERY disappointing choice in displaying some characters. I think this could have been better, and if you want to watch this, you should understand that this movie displays a few very fake things.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDaneeH January 10, 2015
The movie is really good and is a definite tear jerker! The family gets into a big car accident and the whole family dies besides the main girl. It's mainly about her trying to decide if she wants to live or die. It also covers her past and how she met a certain boy named Adam. WARNING. There is a love seen but it isn't that long and doesn't show anything eyebrow raising. If you've seen TFIOS and the love seen in that one, it's a lot like that.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykarialuvsyou September 10, 2014

its my favorite movie and i love it so much it made me cry so many time