Kid reviews for If I Stay

Heartbreaking but faithful adaptation will please book fans.

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah September 5, 2014

Chloë Grace Moretz deserves better.

I'm not the target audience for this movie, but I love Moretz, and she's really the best part of this movie. Like her other performances, she's grounded and realistic and not going, "Oh, look how adorable I am," (even though she is) so she helps this for a bit, but she can't keep this afloat forever. This is 106 minutes, which is a comfortable runtime for any movie, but the characters have the same conversations multiple times and it really starts to wear on you. They talk about going to Juilliard at least five times and it gets pretty annoying. Even though the supernatural element here is a bit interesting, it all gets boring after about 50 minutes, which seems to be mostly due to the direction. The characters are fine; they aren't detestable but might come off as annoying (don't drive on mountain roads on a snow day because you WILL get in a car accident, duh), but carry the story along enough more the most part. However, the movie gets to be really manipulative as opposed to genuinely affecting, just throwing the saddest stuff at the screen. It doesn't come off as cynical or anything, but it just doesn't work. And side note: Jamie Blackley is six years older than Moretz, which is distracting and kind of creepy given that she's a minor in real life and he's an adult. 4.8/10, lame, two thumbs down, below average, etc.

Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2014

Pretty Good

Just straight out- let me tell you that there is WAY more romance in the movie than there is in the book. Lots more kissing. I went to see this with my two friends and a mom, and by about the 18th kiss we were all looking around awkwardly. But anyway, it's a pretty good movie... if there were 3 1/2 stars I'd rate it that. Good acting by the leads, and it stays mostly faithful to the book (other than the romance). Yes, it's sad, but not really to the quality of "The Fault in our Stars." During the surgical scenes, you see a little blood but it doesn't go much further than that. The premise of a girl losing her mom, dad, and brother might be too much for some kids. A pretty good movie to see on a free weekend- but don't kill yourself to see it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 November 25, 2014

Meh.

This movie was disappointing and maybe that's just because I didn't read the book. But I thought it was NOT touching at all. It was kinda like the director was just like- "hey lets make a movie about a teen girl who gets in a car crash but ends up realizing she needs to stay even tho basically all of her family is dead she will stay because she has a 'hot' boyfriend that she can make-out with."

If your a 13 year old teenager girl you might enjoy watching the two main characters make-out the whole movie but personally I didn't enjoy it.

Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2014

Amazing Movie !

I saw this movie and I absolute recommend it ! It is an amazing movie with great messages and role models I guess it's pretty much appropriate and easy to understand ! Suspensful ! And its a '' have to go to watch'' movie !

Teen, 16 years old Written byElle.Sx September 4, 2014

Overated

This film was a big disappointment to me . The plot is quite dull and not enjoyable. I found that some scenes dragged out longer than they should.
The main problem with this film is that it is very unrealistic. The relationship between Mia and Adam seems fake and pushed.
The biggest disappointment was the ending. Nobody likes a film that just cuts out when you have so many unanswered questions. It will drive any viewer completely mad!!
The film needs to be more realistic and show how teenagers actually behave and communicate and how families and friends deal with situations such as this. Overall i think this film is enjoyable for a younger audience, perhaps between ages 10-13 , anybody who isn't up for watching a cheesy romance i wouldn't advise seeing this .

Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 August 22, 2014

Book based film is tragic and will make you fall in love

This film based on the YA best seller is a tearjerker that will make you laugh and cry. Teens are sure to love the romance and chemistry between Adam and Mia.
Content:
Violence: the aftermath of the car acident is seen and is disturbing. Blood is seen.
Sex: 2 brief and non-graphic love scenes are shown. Adams chest and arms are seen as well as Mia's shoulders under the sheets. One scene features Adam taking off his shirt and Mia unzipping her dress. Passionate kissing throughout. One lesbian kiss is glimpsed.
Language: b***h is used 2 times. S**t is used 7 or so times. (One is said by a kid). Screw you is said as well as damn and hell
MY RATING: PG-13/ for thematic and disturbing content and images, violence, alcohol use, and brief sexuality- all involving teens

Teen, 13 years old Written bySage Liv June 16, 2020

Disappointing and some scenes kids that are 13 and under shouldn’t see but it should be fine for a mature 10 and up year old

Teen, 13 years old Written byMilow July 27, 2019

Not great

The book is heaps better, the movie is ok, but a bit cheesy
Teen, 15 years old Written byLiv Silber November 18, 2018

Teen, 15 years old Written bymslollipop39 December 14, 2017

A Movie for All!

I think 'If I stay' is a must-watch movie. It really makes you think twice about living and appreciating the people around you. It makes you feel a lot of different feelings.

Teen, 13 years old Written byActivistandLiberal July 11, 2017

Very good movie!

If your kid/you are mature than I think ages ten and up are good. Otherwise I say 12 and up. Includes some kissing and one very non specific kissing on a bed scenario however the scenario cuts before anything Inappropriate happens. It had a wonderful message and is based on a wonderful book. I definitely would recomend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCalysta1212 March 29, 2017

The ending is complete trash

Hey y'all I think that its a very good staisfying beginning,it has drama,and depth. It even made me cry a couple times but that freaking ending like Jesus she just wakes up and the movie ends. NOOO I wanted to see what happened at the end of the movie. I legit threw a tantrum like I was 5 when the movie just ended like that. It's a waste of time and it's a dissapointment in life.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKeremhib February 18, 2017

Wonderful movie

This film must be watched it's amazing ❤
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2016

I still think about this movie...

Even though i watched this movie around a year ago.. I still think about it a lot. This movie left us at such a bad ending..... I can't even. I read the book afterword. and I didn't like it very much. My mom and I were sobbing through this movie. Even though Chloë (See fifth wave or carrie for more of her) did an awesome job. It was sincerely disappointing. It had a lot of sex. Some violence (Including a crash scene) and so much more. I wish I had never watched this movie. I think a kid 12+ could watch it. Especially if their not fazed by sad movies. Thank you and I hope this review was helpful

Teen, 14 years old Written bygabbbycutrona March 14, 2016

Teen, 15 years old Written byAge critical reviews February 22, 2016
Teen, 15 years old Written byviewloo February 8, 2016

Amazing

What a beautiful and tear jerking movie. The love of music brings the two main characters together , the girl who enjoys classical and the boy who is part of a punk rock band although there relationships has ups and downs, the audience just wants to be apart of it. The great love tail has us in awe and this movie is a must watch

Teen, 14 years old Written bytilli14 January 28, 2016
If I Stay was an really good movie that followed the storyline of the novel well throughout. The actors, especially Chloe Grace Moretz who played Mia, were amazing throughout and the delivered the messages and emotions that were portrayed in the book in a believable way.

This movie is especially good for teenage girls, but for an older family I would also recommend it. It has a great plot and esteemed actors/actresses throughout, and it has particularly strong positive messages and morals especially towards the end when Mia, the main actress of the film, is forced to finally make a decision she never dreamt she would have to make.

However, this movie may not be appropriate for those other than teenagers and older (though of course this is also dependent on maturity) as there is snippets of deeper romance and sex a couple of times. There is no nudity in the film. The movie can also be a little bit hard hitting as there is a bit of sudden death at the beginning, even more so if the book has not been read. There is also swearing used in the movie at times.

Aside from that, the movie is amazing and the perfect film portraying love and life. It is the perfect emotion filled movie to watch, and I would recommend watching it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAge review kid November 28, 2015

Very emotional flick is too much for kids but ok for older teens

My rating:R for violent images and sexuality
Teen, 13 years old Written bykati.richardson November 21, 2015