All parent member reviews for Inception

Adult Written byAlphaZK93 January 29, 2011

Any kid that can has watched Star Wars or Iron Man can easily handle this, but might not get it. AMAZING MOVIE!!!!!

Pretty much any kid that has seen Iron Man will be able to handle this movie, but they might not get it. It is such a mind-bending cinematic experience that it will probably freak their brains out. Plus, if kids are too young (like 5-9), they might worry about whether or not they are really in real life or if they are in a "dream". This was such a freakin' awesome movie. Like, a true cinematic masterpiece. Let me warn you: you won't get it after watching it once. You will have to watch it at least 3 times before you can conclude whether "it fell or not". watch the movie and you'll understand me. *******IN SHORT!!!!********* Kids who have sharp minds will LOVE this movie. Kids who don't will be lost. Kids with wild imaginations will probably start spinning tops and questioning reality. Seriously. I could not stop thinking about the movie for a very long time. It was just that awesome.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 22, 2010
It must be hard to think that Christopher Nolan can top THE DARK KNIGHT in any way, shape, or form. Oftentimes in successful careers like his, the director hits a high point and immediately sinks to mediocre projects (M. Night, I'm talking about you!). However, Nolan tops his latest Batman film in every way possible in the incredible picture INCEPTION. This movie is not only THE movie of the year, but also one of the best, most enjoyable movies I've ever seen! And I'm generally hard to please as far as movies go. However, INCEPTION does everything: it's action-packed, engaging, entertaining, moving, and thought-provoking. This movie is nothing short of brilliant, and all adults and teens should go and see it right away. It's not okay for kids, however. Violence in the movie is almost constant, with loads of explosions, gunfire, and countless casualties. However, almost all of these are bloodless and they take place in dreams (thus rendering them harmless in real life). In order to wake up from a dream, a character needs to die. So, the film has countless harrowing scenes that show main characters commiting suicide by gun, knife, falling from great heights, etc. Most of this is bloodless, but in any case it can get sort of hard to watch. A ton of the movie is very intense and nerve-wracking, and young kids just flat out won't be able to handle that. On the upside, there is no sex and language is usually mild, with frequent "d**n"s, "h*ll"s, and infrequent "s**t"s.
Parent of a 3, 10, and 13 year old Written byAvodahMami March 26, 2011

Very Good, but questionable for younger than 13.

Its very well done & quite mind-bending. I think that most of the concepts might be lost on a kid younger than 13. Its not overly violent or with gratuitous gore or sex scenes, but some drinking, alot of smoking. Moderate+ violence with suicide. I would put it at a YELLOW light for 10-13. My 13 yr old loved it, 10 yr old wasnt that interested due to loss of concept reasoning.
Adult Written byElsever January 19, 2016
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 17, 2015

OK

OK but disappointing movie. 12+ Some Violence.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 7, 2015
Adult Written bymirzaaftab99 May 23, 2015
Adult Written byartist April 18, 2015
Adult Written byOneVeryLongUsername January 31, 2015

"Inception" - Parental and Artistic Review.

Sexual Content: Cobb and Saito first meet in a "love nest" where Saito frequently meets his lover—a relationship he's managed to keep secret in his waking life. We see people kiss, and one character uses subterfuge to steal a kiss. A couple of women wear low-cut tops. 1.2 out of 10. Violent/Gory Content: Violence in "Inception" is tricky to tally. At times we see real men get hurt or killed. But much of the violence is perpetuated in dream worlds, where the people we see are not real, but manifestations of the subject's subconscious. As a result, the "real" body count is surprisingly low (at least for a film that wields this much intensity), while metaphysical fatalities run off the chart. Merging both categories, people are punched, kicked, choked, shot (scores of times), stabbed, hit by cars (several times), blown up, attacked by rampaging mobs, almost buried by avalanches and nearly drowned. Someone gets shot in the foot—just to illustrate that, while dying in a dream state is difficult, pain is all too easy to come by. The visceral feel of the violence is about what you'd expect for a PG-13 movie—and, frankly, maybe a step back from a prime-time actioner on television. The mayhem is practically bloodless (an exception: after a shot to the chest, we see red seep through a man's shirt as he coughs up flecks of blood), and it's perpetrated with a certain, almost chilly, remove. When someone wants to exit a dream, they simply "kill" themselves or have someone do it for them. Cobb, for instance, shoots one of his compadres in the head to wake him up. (We see a bloodless hole in his forehead.) Because the sensation of falling can jar someone awake, folks routinely engineer the end of their dreams by plummeting off bridges or cutting loose elevator cables. One character throws another off a cliff. This fixation with dreamscape suicide manifests itself in tragic fashion with Cobb's wife, Mal. The two of them slip into a dream state for, seemingly, decades before Cobb begins to think that perhaps both of them have gotten lost there. He plants an idea into Mal's brain—a true one, in this case—that the life they're "living" is not real, and he encourages her to commit suicide with him. They both lay their heads on a railroad track as a train rumbles toward them. (The scene ends just before the train reaches them). The act jars them both back to what is, apparently, the real world … but Mal can't shake the feeling that this life, too, is still a dream—including their two children. She begins to fondle knives and begs Cobb to enter another suicide pact with her so they can see their "real" children. Cobb, of course, refuses. Then, on their anniversary, Cobb finds Mal on a ledge, ready to jump. "I'm going to ask you to take a leap of faith," she tells him, adding that she fabricated evidence that, should she die, would frame Cobb for her "murder"—her way of encouraging Cobb to die with her. Then she jumps. 6.2 out of 10. Profanity: At least 11 "hells," 2 "asses" (both used with "hole"), 2 "damns," 1 use of "piss off" and 1 use of "bastard." The middle finger is briefly used once. Religious exclamations and profanities include at least: 6 uses of "Goddamn," 3 of "Jesus Christ," 2 of "Jesus," and 1 use each of "Oh, my God," "My God" and "Oh, God." 4.1 out of 10. Substance Use: Folks drink wine and beer. Intravenous drugs—sedatives and other mysterious concoctions—are required to put people into these dreamlike states. Perhaps the most nefarious drug here, though, is the dreams themselves. It's suggested that these artificial dream states are, in some way, addictive. In one scene, we see listless bodies strapped to machines pumping dream-causing chemicals into their bodies. We're told it's the only way they can dream anymore, and for them, an old man says, "The dream has become their reality. Who are you to say otherwise?" Cobb, too, has lost his ability to dream normally, and so he repeatedly hooks himself up to delve into his own haunting dream world. 5.1 out of 10. Conclusion: "Inception" is another one of Christopher Nolan's masterpieces. It has a great (but complex) story, amazing visual effects and a brilliant soundtrack. I highly recommend this film and I give it 8.6 out of 10.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 23, 2014

Dense, brilliant, mesmerizing sci-fi thriller is too complex for young teens

Every aspect about this movie is pitch perfect from the storyline to the cast to complex characters to the visuals to the score to the cinematography. You have to see it 5 times in order to understand the whole dream concept. Every time I watch I pick up new things. The only thing I didn't care for was Leonardo DiCaprio. I felt Nolan made a mistake by casting him as the lead. Nonetheless, this an exceptional movie. Young teens aren't mature enough to follow the complex storyline. 15+
Adult Written byccb1996 August 16, 2014

Great movie for older teens

Does your mind hurt if I told you we are in a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream? If not, it certainly will have after watching Inception. It's a brilliant mind bender that explores human nature and the depth of the consciousness. The story follows a thief of secrets through dreams, who is given an impossible job: plant an idea in someone's mind. But the stakes are higher than anyone can imagine, for the deeper they go into the targets mind, the more they delve into the main character's- and he's got some skeletons in the closet. Parents should know that there is plenty of bloodless violence, some language, and mature themes including suicide. It's a great film that will spin your head around.
Parent Written bythenoah November 16, 2012

Possibly the greatest film ever made

The main character is a thief. cool. action is amazing, plot ever better. not inapropriate in any way, shape, or form. only a bit of violence, but no blood
Parent Written byMandin October 19, 2012

Amazing and complex

Amazing movie but is very complex and hard to understand for some teens
Adult Written bybitesizemoviereview August 6, 2012

Stellar movie, plot too complex for younger kids

This is one of the best action flicks ever made, because of the stellar acting, directing, music and suspense throughout. There is not much violence--just a few people are shot. There are several moments that make you jump, especially when Dom's wife appears out of nowhere in his dreams. The characterization is remarkably good for an action flick. The overall concept of "a dream within a dream" is what really sells this movie. I recommend this for kids 13 and up--there's hardly any violence, but the complex dream-based plot would be difficult for younger kids to follow.
Adult Written bydarkknightrises232 July 14, 2012

Great, but too many shootings for kids.

Guns. guns. guns.
Parent Written byJLFM May 13, 2012

My main concern is that it may be too complex for younger viewers

Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

good movie

i think this movie is great and i think that you really need to pay attention. if you miss a part, you may be lost, for young kids this may be too violent or hard to follow.
Adult Written bygreenergere July 3, 2011

inception

too boring and kids wont understand it
Adult Written bybdh June 25, 2011

Twists to make this a top grossing movie

great movie with a lot of twists in it.
Parent Written byAkbar137 June 23, 2011

Good sort of violent movie, may confuse minors.

Good: Many references of teamwork and hope not to spoil any thing so i will only say this the end has a reference of seeking happiness no matter what. Bad: Violence (my kids are used to that much violence) Language: Minor swears Dam*,as*, jes*s ch*ist, etc This movie was very intresting for me and my kids i have an 18 year old son and 11 year old son my 18 year old was intrested and understood the whole movie, but my 11 year old was bored besides from the action until the end when i would explain to him what was happening. after understanding the movie he really liked it.