Parent reviews for Incredibles 2

Terrific, action-packed superhero sequel was worth the wait.

Adult Written byAshley O. June 14, 2018

Great plot but is the cursing really necessary??

We took our 4, 6, and 9 year olds to see this movie. We were shocked that they said "I'll be damned" and "hell" on top of saying something sucked, Oh my God, and stupid repeatedly. The language just wasn't necessary, especially the curse words. There were definitely scary scenes as well, where even our oldest covered her face. I don't understand the reviews that say this is appropriate for all ages. In my opinion, it most certainly is not. I also cringed during a scene showing a burglar break into a house and shoot someone. Language and scary scenes aside, the plot was good and held our interest, although at 2 hours it was a bit long.

Adult Written byMm4321 June 14, 2018

Violent /unnecessary language

This movie starts off with a man being shot to death his home at night. Lots of the usual super hero fighting. Although a very disturbing fight scene with a supposed villain -(and Elasta girl)--left us with a very creepy feeling. The premise of movie relies on hypnotizing super heroes.
Too much unnecessary language for us:
Oh my _od ! used multiple times, as well as crap, hell, damn. This does not add to the movie. Why throw it in?
We loved the first. Excited to see #2. A waste of 1.5 hours of our lives we will never get back. Exposed my 6 year old to murder and cussing. Too bad!!
Adult Written byAnnie C June 14, 2018

Scary!

I almost never write reviews online, but I felt compelled to warn other parents of young children that this movie is quite terrifying. My 6 and 4 year olds couldn't make it to the end, and the 4 year old actually burst into tears during one of several nightmarish scenes. I wouldn't describe my kiddos as overly sensitive, either. Simply put, it's an intense, scary movie and I wish I had known that beforehand. Too bad- we LOVE the first Incredibles.
Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written byaumber June 14, 2018

DISSAPOINTED WITH THE CUSSING/ALCOHOL USE

Went to see this movie and we were all excited and then one of the characters starts swearing, "I'll be damned" "What the hell" not to mention it shows the adults in every scene to do with promotion with a alcoholic drink in their hand. Really Pixar? This is supposed to be a family movie, not sure if this is the "norm" now for families but I for one was not impressed at all with that.

Adult Written bygeo94 June 15, 2018

Sad

I'm truly sad that they added cursing to what could have been a great movie. I agree with others that it was scary as well. My daughters were exposed to words that we don't use around the house. It's sad...

Adult Written byDonnie H. June 13, 2018

Did we really need the cursing?

Good movie that could’ve been great. For some reason (and common sense media does NOT list it) there are uses of “promote the hell out of it” and “I’ll be damned” in the movie. Why? It’s ridiculous that they felt the need to include these phrases when alternate words would’ve been just fine and appropriate for young audiences. It’s disappointing. I don’t understand why this website does not list these under the language section. Very funny movie but ruined a bit by poor choices by producers/writers.
Adult Written byM0m0f3 June 15, 2018

Beware of bad language! Really disappointed!

I was shocked when I heard all the cussing in this KIDS movie! That was so completely unnecessary!! They also say “Oh my God” a lot and I didn’t appreciate that either. Save yourself some money and skip this one.

Parent Written byEchit84 June 14, 2018

Cute Movie But Disappointed

Movie was really cute and my kids enjoyed it. HOWEVER, I was really disappointed by the use of curse words.... not sure why that's considered acceptable for a kid's movie. Hell and damn are both used in the movie when other words could have easily been used instead. Not impressed. Oh my God is also used numerous times.

Adult Written byHudson23 June 15, 2018

My son enjoyed it

The movie was great . My 3 year old enjoyed the action scenes . Honestly they say maybe 3 “curse” words and have one drink . No one says it’s alcohol, it’s implied. I feel like they wanted to cater to kids as well as the big kids who grew up waiting for this movie. People say Oh my God all the time in real life . And I’m sure kids have heard more curse words than hell and damned. Also I doubt children even noticed half of what the adults did. Don’t listen to the dramatic cookie cutter parents who get offended over everything. It’s a great movie .
Parent Written bynic32 June 15, 2018

First time I feel compelled to write a review.

I was in a bind and needed to find something to do with my sons to beat the 100 degree heat on a moment's notice. I heard a review on a Christian radio station that it had a couple of swear words, but overall a good message about the sacrifices parents make for their children....I did not leave the theater with that message though.

My five year old was definitely scared in parts and he has seen a few early Star Wars movies without fear. I covered his eyes in a couple of scenes. He normally would have pried my hands off, but not in this movie.

In one scene, the mom thinks she has discovered the villain, who talks in a super creepy voice. She begins snooping in his dark and creepy stalker like apartment. The person jumps out of nowhere and they begin a very intense fight scene. I was surprised this person was actually punching the mom repeatedly. My younger son was also confused when the parents turned into the villains. That part is confusing for younger kids and frightening.

Since returning home, my older son has said a few times that we should not have taken his younger brother. He was also disappointed that they used, "damn" and "hell." They could have had a decent movie without those words. As a parent who expects her children to talk respectfully, I also did not like when the teenage daughter said, "This sucks" once or twice. But ultimately, I should have known better than to take the five year old.

It is worth checking out with older children, but definitely not for kids under 8-10, depending on how much swearing you allow your children to be exposed to.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byrobinb1965 June 15, 2018

Bad language in a kid movie

I had looked forward to this movie coming out for a long time. We loved the first Incredibles movie. But after the use of bad words (hell, damn) and the use of alcohol I couldn’t enjoy the movie. My son was still scared of the villian mask this morning after seeing the movie last night. I really hope there is not a new trend to put bad words in a pixar movie. Very disappointed.

Adult Written byT J July 4, 2018

Well worth the wait!

The incredibles 2 is just as great as the first film with tons of action, heart and humor! The story is similar to the first movie just with the roles switched as Elastagirl is going out and fighting the villains while Mr. incredible stays home with the kids. There are some continuity errors such as in this movie jack jack gets powers and the family acts surprised even though jack jack got powers at the end of the first movie and the family knew it. The animation is way better than the first film as expected since it was released more than a decade later and overall I really don’t have anything negative to say about this movie other than that the villain was kinda predictable. I won’t spoil who the villain is for you, I’ll just say that the villain is most likely who you think it’s gonna be.

Content: there are a few scenes where adult characters drink alcoholic beverages but no one gets drunk and it’s never said what the drinks are so younger kids probably won’t get it. There’s some flashing lights that may trigger seizures in some people, my local theater even had warning signs about this at the ticket counter. Words such as “stupid” and “sucks”. And as expected from a superhero movie, tons of violence. I personally think it’s fine for ages 7 and up; kids younger than 7 may find it too boring due to all the talking/exposition.

On another note, many parents are complaining that this movie was too scary or too inappropriate for their young kids, These people need to know that this movie wasn’t made for kids! Just because it’s animated and rated PG doesn’t automatically mean it’s made for kids! Nor is there a rule that says every Disney/Pixar movie has to be made for kids! Some people have tried to counter argument this by pointing out the fact that the incredibles 2 was marketed to kids (McDonald’s toys and such) but please remember that film marketing is very different from film production. A movie can be marketed to kids without being made for kids; especially since film marketing and filmmaking are two completely different fields. In other words, the filmmakers don’t get to choose who their movie is marketed to or how it’s marketed; filmmakers just make the movie and that’s it. Marketing a film is a completely different person’s job. Also just because a movie wasn’t made for kids doesn’t mean kids can’t enjoy it. The Terminator franchise, Jurassic world, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Marvel movies for example, are marketed to kids with McDonald’s toys, picture books, children’s sized clothing etc. but they’re rated PG-13 or R so they obviously weren’t made for kids, even though some kids can/do enjoy those movies. Likewise, kids can enjoy the incredibles 2 as well even though it wasn’t made for them. And guess what, The writer/director of the incredibles 2, Brad Bird, even said flat out that incredibles 2 is not a kids movie, so this is not an opinion, it’s a fact, as it is confirmed by the person who made the movie. If you are one of those people who think that incredibles 2 (or any movie, for that matter!) should play it safe and cater specifically to children (just because why? You want it to?), may I ask: Do you really think you know what demographic a movie was made for more than the person who actually made the movie?! Did you have a role in marketing or making this movie?! If not, then it’s not your place to be telling the filmmakers and marketers what they should (or shouldn’t) be doing! What makes you think you should have ANY say in who a movie was made for or how it should be made or marketed if you had no part in making it?! The filmmakers knew exactly what they were doing. They didn’t “forget about the kids in the audience” as some of you claim. Incredibles 2 has not only passed the first film at the box office, but it made over $1.2 billion at the box office.

Anyways, Sorry that this review has kinda turned into a rant, I’m just so sick and tired of ignorant parents criticizing movies for doing exactly what the filmmakers intended it to do and speaking as if they knew who a movie was made for more than the people who made it.
Btw if you don’t believe me that Brad Bird said incredibles 2 is not a kids movie, then see it for yourself here:

EDIT: I just heard that Brad Bird is also saying that incredibles 2 shouldn’t be under the “Kids” section on iTunes and should instead be with the Marvel and Lucasfilms movies in the “Adventure” section. See for yourself here:

Adult Written byaparker2007 June 15, 2018

Pause before taking young children

Like other reviews I’ve read, we too were disappointed with the language that was sprinkled throughout the movie whose audience is young children. My family loved the first movie and our children could not wait to see the sequel. The language could have been rewritten in a way more suitable for the intended audience. The scary scenes were also a little intense for younger children. If you’re taking your children to see this movie be prepared for cussing, scary scenes involving hypnosis (at one point the mom turns on her own children because she’s being controlled by hypnosis), and scenes with black and white flashing lights which were intense at times.

I agree with the other reviews which state the movie was good, but it could have been great. I believe many families taking their young children to this movie because they loved the first one will leave the theatre a little shocked as we did.

Adult Written byLilyPad79 June 15, 2018

Alcohol use and cursing not for little children

Waited a very long time for the second movie and at the end was so disappointed. There was alcohol use and cursing which I didn’t appreciate my 4 year old seen. Also not happy with the opening of the movie when a character gets shot in the head. Won’t be watching it again and won’t be adding to my Disney movie collection. Only stayed to finish the movie because my daughter felt asleep.

Adult Written byEmma P. June 13, 2018

Scarier than first movie

Incredibles 2 is an excellent movie, but the villain is much scarier than the original. He has a strange mask, has a creepy auto tuned voice, and uses hypnotism as the basis of his evil deeds. For younger kids (and even older adults) the spinning and flashing lights may hurt their eyes. The villain goes so far as to hypnotize many fan-favorite characters, causing them to attack their loved ones. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie; but my ten-year-old brother even said it's the scariest movie he's seen. Other than the villain, the movie is funny, interesting, and a lot of fun.

Parent Written bysdpulle June 19, 2018

Incredibles 2 = Incredible amount of Violence and Racism

Bottom line: Incredibles 2, smashing box office records as I type, is a shockingly violent, racist film that I recommend NOT taking your children to:
Today I took the kids (elementary school age) to see Incredibles 2. We were all excited to see an air-conditioned movie on a big screen, and after a morning of anticipation, snack-bar planning and sweating our way through the parking lot...we walked out of the movie after 15 minutes and politely demanded a ticket refund after explaining why .Here's why:

1. VIOLENCE: Within the first 15 minutes, someone is shot in the head in a robbery, and in the (way too long) opening sequence, entire city streets are blown up with cars and bodies flying everywhere. The violence against human bodies made my stomach clench. My brave 7-year old was covering her eyes and begging to leave (we were already on our way out). This movie is rated PG.
2. RACIST CARICATURES
The only Black character that I saw - a main character - was named Frozone. (Get it? If not, let me spell it out: (A)Fro-zone. No, I am not being oversensitive. Yes, I did the research and this was the "joke" behind the name) This character also lapsed frequently into Ebonics-laced English - meant to be funny. His wife? Nothing but a disembodied voice sassing and chiding her husband, ie "you betta be...".
3. Ok...so....parents and other adults: have we (as a culture) become so de-sensitized to violence and racism that we are numb to this? Do people see this movie and shrug the violence off as an "action sequence"? Is it just easier to turn the other cheek? Even the bodies flying through the air screaming in terror and the gunshot to the head? And do we (the rhetorical "we") find Black people so threatening that the only way we find them palatable as protagonists is if they adopt an Uncle Remus mentality? And Black women...are THEY so disdainful that we've reduced them to a sassy, bossy voice in the background? I only saw the first 15 minutes and frankly, do not care if the movie was good, great or excellent after that. I am disheartened. Not only at what I saw today, but that this movie has been breaking records and making outrageous money at the box office. Our country is broken with racism and violence. We can do better for our kids

Adult Written bySoshow June 15, 2018

Cursing/Violence/Disappointing

We waited a long time for this sequel and we were very disappointed with the amount of unnecessary cursing (Hell, Damn, God, Stupid). Also, the amount of violence was unsuitable for kids 8 and under. Last, adults frequently had alcohol in their hands. We are very disappointed in Pixar's judgement in the content they choose to display and it's shocking they thought it would be suitable for children. Preview this movie before allowing your kids to watch it.

Adult Written byWeAreStarDust June 15, 2018

Too Scary!

I took my almost 8 year old to see this movie, as he loved the first one! However he asked to leave the theate multiple times due to it being too scary. The villain uses screens to mind control people, give them creepy eyes, has a scary mask and terribly scary voice. Many of the scary scenes were longer and drawn out, not something to quickly cover your eyes then go back to watching. The plot was interesting, but sadly too scary to enjoy. Just be aware.
Adult Written byweasie4u June 18, 2018

Why???

I feel like I have waited forever for the sequel and now that it has come out I am having a real hard time connecting the two movies. In an attempt to appeal to adults, Disney has forgotten that the audience is filled with children. In addition to the story line being very dark, I just don't understand why anyone would think the unnecessary use of profanity in this movie was a good choice. There was absolutely zero value added to this movie with the choice of language.

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byPeter Pan Daddy June 16, 2018

Profanity, Violence, Intoxication, Gun violence, major Adult Themes ... disappointed!!

DO NOT TAKE YOUNG CHILDREN UNLESS YOU DO NOT MIND THEM BEING EXPOSED TO PROFANITY, MURDER BY GUN, ALCOHOL USE/INTOXICATION AND INTENSE FEAR AND MAYHEM ........ My family was so excited to see this movie, and we were a fan of the first one, but unfortunately The Incredibles 2 was "incredibly" disappointing in so many respects. There were several instances of profanity (damn, hell, crap, sucks,..), along with use of other adult oriented slang. There was unbelievably a scene where a person was killed with a revolver during a break-in. The villain was seriously dark and scary, and he reminded me of Bane or some other villain from the Dark Knight adult movies. There were several scenes of drinking alcohol, followed by obvious intoxication by the super heroes and others. I was shocked, and I am not easily shocked by movies. The sad thing is, there were very good elements in this movie of fun and adventure and character development, but it by no means redeems the garbage that was in this film. On top of all that, the Pixar short before the movie is depressing and very adult themed. It was made for a college audience, and NOT a theater filled with children. If you are at all protective over your children, and have younger kids, I would strongly consider not seeing this. I truly wish we had not. Shame on you Disney for exposing my sweet kids to these adult themes and elements.