All parent member reviews for Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bykarimck May 15, 2009

Who cares if "all of the other kids" have seen it!

I wish I would have checked this site before watching this movie with my 5 and 7 year olds. Most of their friends had seen it and other mothers told me it was fine for my kids. Not so. My kids were scared by the "creepiness" which occurs when Indy is inside the tomb and at the end when the Ark is opened and people literally MELT. They were afraid to be alone for a couple of days after watching this movie. I felt like a fab parent. :(
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Not As Clean As You Think

This film defies age. I don't know how many of my teenage guy friends still enjoy the Indiana Jones movies. My favorite is The Last Crusade, but this is a good one too. That said. I don't understand why so many people let their children see this movie. I saw it at age fourteen and it was still intense. People get impaled through the head with spears. Riddled with blowdarts. Burned to death. Shot and have blood dribble out of their mouth. Melted. Have their heads explode. Get shredded by an airplane propeller and have their blood spray a window. Some of this is fairly fake-looking, but I don't think that mitigates the violence. The Indiana Jones films try to gross you out with disgusting violence. This film was originally going to be rated R. Does that surprise anyone? It didn't surprise me at all. The language used in this film is overall not that bad for a PG movie in the eighties, but it should still be noted that there are about eight uses of cursing in this film (including one s-word). Also, Indiana Jones and his girlfriend have a very strongly implied tryst. The film shows them kissing on top of a bed in a fairly sensual scene and later shows her naked wrapped in the sheets so no nudity is visible there. Earlier in the film, the said girl-friend's bare back is visible as she changes and she wears a dress that isn't terribly modest. That all said, I think a lot depends on your teens when deciding whether or not to let them see this film. However, I don't think I'd let most kids under the age of fourteen see this particular Indiana Jones movie. The PG-rating is deceptive parents. Don't be fooled by it into thinking that this is a family movie. This was nearly rated R, remember? Treat it at least like a PG-13 (and an edgy one at that).
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 12, 2010

definitely would NOT be PG in our times,would be rated PG-13

awesome movie
Parent of a 9 year old Written byChitch January 19, 2011

Great movie but too violent for younger kids

I can't believe the guy who wrote "What parents need to know" says that there is "nothing graphic". Did he watch this movie?! I have always loved the Indiana Jones films but they are the reason PG-13 was invented. WAY too violent for younger kids.
Parent of a 2, 6, and 9 year old Written byDeerfieldDad May 13, 2011

Ok for 9 year olds but caution

The fighting in the movie is tame by modern day standards. In fact, the movie itself moves rather slowly. There is a lot of sword fighting, death, and the like but it's not actually that graphic. SPOILER ALERT: The part that sticks out that some 9 year olds won't deal well with is the whole face-melting scene when the ark is opened. My 9 year old tends to run away and hide when things get too scary or embarrassing, but his tush was firmly planted on the couch the entire time. Recommended.
Adult Written byPaigeG April 9, 2008

Great movie - not for young kids

Be very cautious with this movie. I know the newest Indy is out in the theaters, but the original was made before the PG-13 rating was available. Lots and lots of violence - including blood splatters from an airplane rotor and melting faces. Also, tons of drinking in excess and profanity that you would not want young kids to hear (including several GDs). Review this movie yourself before you introduce it to your kids.
Educator and Parent Written byaikos February 7, 2015

Should be PG13

I watched this long time ago and forgot how inappropriate this movie could be for kids under 12 or 13. If this movie was made in present time, it would be rated as PG13. Really shocking violent scenes.
Adult Written bypzelchenko July 26, 2009

Depends...

Depends on your family's personal attitudes. Kids can imagine worse than this. I like to laugh loudly during the horrific scenes (e.g., faces melting) to convey the message that it's just Hollywood. Worse is the bad role-modeling. Everyone is a mercenary, even the heroic couple. Don't really like that.
Adult Written byNM_Mike February 27, 2009

What about the language!

The language in this film is unacceptable. How many times does a movie have to take the Lord's name in vain before that is included in a "Family Friendly" review? There were at least two instances in this movie. Also, the violence was very graphic. As a college student, I didn't notice, but as a father watching with young children I was mortified. In my opinion, this should have been rated R and restricted to those 17 years and older.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byRT96950 December 25, 2010

Great for older kids, but to "evil" and too violent for tweens.

What a thrilling movie! Jones is a good role model almost every respect.
Parent of a 1, 1, 4, 9, 9, and 16 year old Written byMariofan January 26, 2010

The best movie ever !

My kid likes it! It's his favorite movie. He is constantly using the characters in his imagination. He makes a couple of bad characters good, and makes others extremely bad. My kid is a TohtFan , so he started crying during the Ark Ceremony. He makes jokes about the characters! Very funny ones.
Parent Written bycoolkid007 September 5, 2013

on for twelve and up

Indiana jones is avery good movie but is probably twelve and up. There is some blood and frightening scenes also some language and a little sensuality. My rating PG-13 for action/adventure violence, brief language, scary images, and some sensuality.
Parent Written byKraz July 4, 2012

Quite a lot of graphic violence - wait for age 13

I saw this as a teenager and loved it. But I had forgotten how much graphic violence there is in it. I took my 10 year old (in part based on reviews on this site) and in hindsight I would wait until he was 12 or 13. There is quite a lot of violence and a few really gory scenes where I covered his eyes - eg faces melting, characters getting speared through their torso.
Parent Written byCAROLYN AND MY MAREN October 21, 2011

BAD EXAMPLES FOR KIDS

I can't believe they let 3rd graders watch this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad Language, Drinking, and Bad Violence, I think it is very innappropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byMi3 February 9, 2011

Parent of a 11, 14, 15, and 18 year old Written bySuezq October 29, 2010

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysweetiemarch July 8, 2010

Great Action Classic!

Our family LOVED this action movie! It is definetely a great action movie! Kids younger than 10 can watch this movie, but they should look away at certain deaths! Such as the (what's his name) guy who got speared in the temple and the propeller guy that Indy got in a fistfight with! Other than that it is a great movie that 8 year olds can watch, but make sure you fastforward the parts that I mentioned! :D
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBrad Kemp October 16, 2009

You need to watch this with your child if less than 12 years of age.

This is the original movie from the series of treasure searching expeditions introduced by Steven Spielberg. This is very much a movie for boys. I would say it requires a parent to be with the child to add context to the action. The only problem you’ll have is keeping them contained as they try to recreate scenes by jumping from the couch. There is a drinking scene, a domestic slapping scene and a couple of the violence scenes are gory (early impaling by spikes and a late scene where a Nazi mechanic meets the spinning propeller). The distinction between good guys and bad guys is as clear as a Jersey divider with little ambiguity, which makes it easy for the 7 – 10 year olds to understand. And who doesn’t like to see the good guy prevail and get the girl in the end?
Parent of a 8 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... April 9, 2008

Great fun but not for young children.

Great fun but not for children. One of my favourite action movies. Some scenes, however, are very frightening for children. The mummies in the pyramid and the terrifying stuff that comes out of the ark will fuel nightmares and anxieties in children. One of the lead characters winning a drinking contest can lead kids to think that drinking large quantities of alcohol is a sign of strength.
Adult Written byCoolMan326 April 9, 2008

Excellent Film

This is one the first movies that I remember watching and it has not lost it power to entertain or move. My own children love it. It is a bit Gory and violent for young children but the power of adventure is great for all ages.