All parent member reviews for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Adult Written byBlaWhCorgi May 13, 2011

Hearty Review

There is a scene where a guy's heart is taken out and he is then sacrificed to a false god.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bytrixietrout November 10, 2012

Certainly not for the under 12 age set, and not that great a movie anyway.

This was really disappointing as a parent after the first Indiana Jones movie. I hadn't watched them in a long time and my 7 yo really enjoyed the first one. I understood his friends had seen these movies, and I didn't remember anything too terrible in them. Anyway, this second installment is extremely gruesome with weird pagan rituals where people are being burned alive, the heart thing mentioned in the CS review, and a lot of, I think, gratuitous grossness. And the woman character is absolutely ridiculous, and, frankly demeaned by Indiana Jones. If your child wants to see it when he is 12 or older, I guess fine, but I don't think it's that great a movie anyway, no matter how old you are. We turned it off in the middle.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bysweetiemarch July 8, 2010

Terrible Sequel to Great Raiders!

This movie is terrible! I mean it makes minorities look horrendous and then you have all the voodoo junk and the gore with terrible acting! Can it get any worse! The only okay scene for me was the mine cart scene, but other than that it's terrible! Skip it! :D
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykit kalen August 23, 2009

Too much for my 9-year-old

I showed this movie to my 9-year-old because he has seen the other three Indiana Jones films and loved them. I had held out with this because of how dark it is. He watched it and didn't complain, but was clearly uncomfortable with the darkness of it (including pulling people's hearts out - too much for younger kids). The bad guys are too creepy, in a more demonic way than the other Indiana Jones films. For that reason, in retrospect, I think it was a mistake to let my son watch this. A couple more years would have helped, I think.
Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

Gruesome violence but good movie

It is a great movie but this should be R rated, a guy is tied up and gets his heart ripped out before being burned alive
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

A movie that stood the test of time.

Well, first off, this is definitely not a PG movie. But I don't see why because of this, people are giving it bad reviews. This movie is very violent, and there is much blood shown, so it is a PG-13 movie, but it is a good one. Mature eleven year olds should be just fine watching it, but they might be disturbed at the heart-ripping-out scene. As far as social behaviour, I don't think it was rascist to Asians as much as CSM puts it. I loved the little chinese boy, who added a great character to the movie, throwing in some comic relief where it was needed. This movie is also much funnier than I expected, instead of just being a serious action flick. On the flip side, there are some pretty morbid (for lack of a better word) things shown, such as enslaved children being whipped. Indy and the chinese boy were also whipped, and you see the bloody scratches on Indy's back (think Will Turner in Pirates, only the afflictions weren't actually shown being applied.) As far as other violent material, a man is crushed under a cement roller kind of thing (the same kind of thing as in the first one; a big strong man that Indy can't beat in normal terms ends up being killed by something large... say a propeller.) He isn't actually shown being crushed, but he is shown sucked in when his cape gets caught, and then there is a trail of blood as the roller turns around again. Men are eaten by crocidiles, but you hardly see anything, it basically looks like the crocs are tearing up their clothing. People are also shot, but it is very cartoonish (someone fires a shot, the actors jump backwards or tumble off of a cliff...think powerangers). Blood is shown often on people in fistfights, including on children (there is a fistfight between two children.) Sheltering moms beware! There is a demonic cult in this movie (they are the bad guys) and two of their rituals are shown. A child uses a fully functional voodoo doll on Indy as well, stabbing it with a knife and causing him pain. Indy even uses a spell to his benefit in the end. This really shouldn't be a problem, but I know those moms that don't want their children to know anything about magic and whatnot. So basically, I've noticed that CSM reviews always make things sound worse than they really are, including this one. That is because they just list all of the bad things. I try to explain them a little better, such as the heart-tearing-out scene, the bad guy just reaches in there and somehow magically gets it, and the sacrifice is left unscathed... except he's missing a heart. Of course, then he is lowered into magma, but it doesn't really show him burning or anything. Ok, off of violence, and onto other iffy material parents might want to know about. There is sexual behaviour, BUT nothing happens except for a few kisses. There are only three or four bad words, though I'm pretty sure it's three. This movie is an action-packed adventure, so if your kids want to see it because of the hype surrounding the new movie, then if they are eleven or twelve or older, and you think they could handle a movie like Tomb Raider or James Bond (without the sex) then they should be just fine with this. You may want them to close their eyes during the sacrifice if they are sensitive to that, but seriously, this movie has definitely stood the test of time; watching it now, It almost seems like a movie that could have been made today, with the exception of the crocs. The mine shaft scene was a lot of fun, and the action was very good. I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, because it seemed a bit more Indiana Jones to me, since he spent the majority of his time in a Tomb-like place. I also really enjoyed seing the Hindu culture at the near beginning, such as the Hindu women dancing in the temple. So to wrap it up, this movie is really good, I don't see why the ratings have been so low. The reason there have been so many angry parents is because it was mis-rated; this is a PG-13 movie. So treat it like one, and your eleven year olds should be fine.
Parent Written byc0mm0nsense99 October 30, 2014

Awesome

It's an amazing movie! It has a little bit of language(1 s-word and a few uses of damn) some sex(Indy and willie flirt). But overall a good movie
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

This movie is OK.

This Indiana Jones movie was funny but pretty boring.But REALLY good.
Parent Written bysparky_2012 March 11, 2012

Nasty!

Horror movie! Lots of nasty scenes...
Adult Written byscott the mop November 26, 2011

what i think

there is no sex in this movie guy's only say there is sex when it's in it like in "enemy at the gates" this movie will scare real young kids but im sure if you let your kids know it is not real it's ok for 11 year old's and up i dont know if time's have changed so much that kissing is sex now ? it's and good movie a little scarer than the first one but you should watch all "three" number four does not count .
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

Adult Written byTyler9 December 5, 2010

hate

sick just sick
Adult Written byJune50 June 9, 2010

Entertaining Sequel

Fun movie if inferior to the original. However I disagree with the claims that this movie is darker and more violent than the Raiders. It has some gross and scary scenes but nothing more intense that what was in Raiders. Temple of Doom is more subterranean and claustrophobic then the orginal which makes it a little less fun and the script is not as strong but there are still some entertaining scenes and good action. Like all the Indiana Jones movies despite some scary moments it is an essentially lighthearted movie.
Adult Written bybjsmons July 23, 2009

It realy weighs on maturity. I think many of the reviews are an inflated overreaction.

I watched this movie as a young child. I did know that it was all make believe and was just a story. I saw movies I though was scary (gremlins) but Indiana Jones was not one of the scary. To me, Indiana Jones was a hero. I wanted to help people and be one of the good guys. I looked up to the character and it's really not a bad thing. When it comes to the Violence, again I think intellectually mature children can understand it is not real. Bad guys are out there, they do very bad things. I have no desire to over shelter my children by making them think world is all safe and full of good people. My daughters are 4 and 6. My 4 year old doesn't care much for movies so she doesn't watch it. My 6 year old is a huge fan of Indiana Jones. This series is not scary.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

Not recommended for people who are under 16

This film is rated too low by common sense media guys. 13+?? Really? This film is very dark, brooding, graphic and violent. It's ON for people aged 16 and up. This is an Indy film for adults only. Under 16s aren't restricted, but they just need a parent guidance.
Adult Written byJoe100 April 9, 2008

Huh? It wasn't THAT scary

I must admit it is the darkest of the three movies but over here in the U.K it stayed PG and they show it in primetime. To be honest I think the first one has the more scary moments despite it's overall mood not being as dark - the corpses attacking the leading lady in the tomb, the gruesome fates of the three baddies standing next to the ark when it's opened, Indie's first companion impaled on the booby trap. Let's get this straight. It may be the weakest of the three but this is still a very good film with lots of action and excitement and yes they went a litle overboard with the icky moments but the dinner scene is positively hilarious - it's called gross out humour people and Spielberg doesn't often do it so give him a break.
Adult Written bybgates456 April 9, 2008

Not Recommended

How this got rated PG is beyond me. Did Spielberg pay someone off?
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Graphic, Violent, Somewhat Satanic, yet Engrossing

THE TEMPLE OF DOOM tells the story of Indiana Jones as he barely escapes with his life from a Chinese bar (quite funny) then journeys to India with nightclub singer Willie to save children from a satanic cult. The film has some great action scenes. The opening is hilarious, the bridge fight is engrossing, and the mine car chase is brilliant. But the film is violent. A man has a flaming spear thrown into his chest, several are punched and shot. Some fall down to the crocodiles below a bridge and one (in the most disturbing and unnessecary scene of all) has his heart ripped out of his chest. Even more strange than this is Indy's realization of spiritualism (he uses a Hindu incantation to save his life). I found this unnessecary from the man who "doesn't believe in magic". Overall, worth it for the good action scenes and the mine car chase. But it will leave you feeling unfufilled. Just don't give up on Indy. The third installment makes it all worth it.
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008