Parent reviews for Into the Woods

Into the Woods Poster Image

One of the worst films we have ever seen

This is a terrible movie! It is inappropriate for children and should be rated much higher. The songs and dialogue include words such as "rape" and "abuse." The themes are extremely dark - for example, the wolf stalks the young girl and the fact he is a man, not a real wolf, actually makes it scarier. There is a creepy pedophile/sexual predator overtone to what he says about her and her "flesh." I couldn't believe it got through censors. When the wolf is in the bed pretending to be granny he looks super scary, like a zombie or a corpse. My 8-year-old son, who has seen scary films like Jurassic Park and been totally fine, asked me to fast forward, and he is not scared of anything. There are lots of other scary moments of witches suddenly dropping out of tress etc but worse are the really dark scary themes of murder, kidnapping etc. One other shocking moment is when the stepmother cuts off the toes and heels of her daughters, with a knife! This is definitely not a scene for a children's movie. The characters call Jack "dim witted" and it's very mean and sends a message that kids who are not academic or intellectual are stupid and a nuisance to others. The characters do a lot of immoral and exploitative things - tricking others, lying, stealing, adultery... the list goes on. Not only is the film inappropriate and scary, but even if you are an adult who wouldn't be bothered by that, the songs are soooo long and boring and stagey. The music is really annoying. I can't understand who this film is for. It's not for kids, because it's super inappropriate, dark and scary. But how can it be a film for adults? It's about fairy tales. To give context we have watched other "dark" films that we liked, such as Nightmare Before Christmas, and this is very different from that - a much poorer quality film, and far more adult content. Do not watch this!!! Can't believe Disney approved it and all these famous actors were in it. It's a massive flop.
3 people found this helpful.

Not the best but it’s okay

Some of these reviews are over dramatic. In no way should this movie be rated PG-13 or R. The front cover shows that this movie is a little dark. This is like a combination of multiple stories. It’s not overly scary. The wolf is not a pedophile. If people remember the story, he's after Little Red Riding Hood to eat her, not do anything disgusting. People have sick thoughts. The wolf is creepy but not in a pedophilic way. That being said, it’s easy to get lost in the story if you’re not paying attention. There’s a lot of singing, which isn’t everyone’s idea of a good movie. It’s very long, so young ones may not be able to sit through it. It wasn’t my cup of tea, but this is not a bad film. I don’t think this movie was specifically made for kids ages 6 and under, hence the PG rating. Kids who like dark fairy tales, musicals and singing will like this movie.

3 people found this helpful.

Not a kids movie, adultery, suicide and everyone loses their mum!

The movie is hard to follow, and the singing is high pitched and partly even out of tune. Lots of good actors don't make a good movie. Our kids, aged 7, 9 and 12 hated it. Had to fast forward the end, as suddenly one of the main characthers, who has seemed happily married and has just had a baby ends up (caught unaware in the forest, creepy!) in an adulterous relationship with prince charming, who had just married cinderella. Then she jumps off a cliff and commits suicide. Both Jack (the boy from jack and the beanstalk) and little red riding hood lose their mothers at the end. Little red riding hood also loses her grandmother. In other words, every single kid in the story loses their mum! Not a kids movie!! This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

2 people found this helpful.

Adult Content Conflict annoyed to have to deal with explaining.

All the reviews and nobody mentions the scene where my 10 yo grandson is suddenly the voice of reason that, "what are they doing, they're both married", and it keeps going and gets worse. And the two characters up in a casual hook-up before our eyes! What the freak?! Has everyone lost theirs minds? Noping just not really paying attention and didn't notice.

2 people found this helpful.

It's very entertaining [in a good way].

I think it's a really good movie but it's a bit scary in some places and features inappropriate jestures.
1 person found this helpful.

Not what it seems with the rating- DO NOT RECOMMEND!

This movie was awful from the start taking a story that could've been told more simply and been a great story by dragging it out and adding all kind of unnecessary inappropriateness. I did like how it tied various fairy tales together but the plot was dark in that the baker and his wife had to trick people to get things a witch told them to get to remove a curse so they could have a baby. This being rated PG I didn't expect so many of the things in the movie that happened. I should've stopped the movie immediately as that was the first red flag it may be questionable. Later in the movie the step mother from Cinderella cut off party of her daughter's feet to try to get the slipper to fit. Then they became blind as punishment for their deceit by birds pecking out their eyes which while this happened quickly and wasn't as noticeable what was actually happening was too graphic for a movie rated PG. Much later on another character was blinded by thorns placed there by the witch when trying to rescue Rapunzel. When the baker and his wife finally got their much wanted baby they ended up leaving it with Little Red Riding Hood to help find Jack in the Beanstalk and while doing this the bakers wife ran into Cinderellas Prince and kissed him passionately several times and sang about being together, then shortly after she fell off a cliff and died. At that point I shut it off and am tossing the movie. The plot was ruined with all the darkness, violence and adultery. This is not a move for kids at all. They do not understand these things nor do they need to discuss them as a child. There is plenty of time to see the world is full of sin without putting it into a PG movie. To me the rating is inappropriate and should be PG-13. This is what aggravates me the most as with that I would understand it could have questionable content. Anyway I wouldn't recommend this movie. It really wasn't that enjoyable even without the sketchy content as they just ruined something that could've been a cool way to tie together various fairy tales by adding a bunch of nonsense and garbage. Beyond disappointed.

Not appropriate for families

I don't see why a children's movie rated PG has to talk about infidelity it's totally unnecessary and didn't add anything to the story.

HORRIBLE.

Super grim, horrible movie. DO NOT WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!
1 person found this helpful.

Adult themed not for young children

The trailer was very exciting and was looking forward to watching the movie with my 7 year old but it changed quickly and felt quite uncomfortable watching it with my child. The scene where the wolf is pursuing the girl looks more like a child being groomed and although Johnny Depp is fabulous I absolutely hated him in that role, then when the cloak is removed with force from red riding hood was again uncomfortable to watch, the kissing scenes were sexual and lingering at numerous times especially when Emily Blunt's character cheats on he husband with the prince. Some humorous scenes but not enough to take the discomfort away. The witch by Meryl was excellent but not enough of her in the movie. Me and my child came out of the movie distraught and with a bad taste, there is enough reality all round us and we don't need to ruin fairy tales like that but even if we do...make it a proper age rating. 12A would've been better.
1 person found this helpful.

Too bleak for a fairy tale

In this musical, adapted from a Broadway production of the same name, the classic fairy tale is distorted and reinvented in a sometimes beautiful and other times tedious tale of a magical wood and its inhabitants. Many popular celebrities, such as Emily Blunt, James Corden, Ana Kendrick, and Meryl Streep lend their considerable singing and acting talents to this fantasy world where The Wood is always looming to grant wishes or portend doom, depending upon who dwells in it at any given time. Into the Woods is like two films in one, each mismatched half pasted together to make a clunky, barely functional whole. I’ll get to that later. Its story begins simply enough, using the tropes of a witch, a curse, and a barren couple to create a tale rife with familiar characters. The couple (Emily Blunt and James Corden) make a bargain with a witch (Meryl Streep) to reverse the curse of barrenness she placed on the husband’s bloodline. In order to do this they must go into The Wood, a place of danger and wonder, to locate objects the witch needs to create a spell that will break the curse. While in The Wood, the couple encounter characters from four different fairy tales (Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Cinderella) that will help them achieve their own fairy tale ending………or so it would seem. Just as we are led to believe the story is wrapping up, the second half of the story begins, shattering the hitherto tranquility of the first half. The second half leads to a bleak twist ending, involving death and despair brought about by the characters’ selfishness and poor choices. The particulars of the second half of the story (retribution for a slain giant, infidelity, shattered ideals) are almost irrelevant, overshadowed as they are by the somber delivery. The film has some merits, including quality singing and acting, but the differing tones of the two halves of the film are problematic. Simply stated, the first half of the film, which sticks to a light-hearted and traditional fairy tale format, works. The second half, which carries a much darker existentialist tone, does not. Adding to the dissonance of the two halves of the film is the lack of any consistent elements bridging the gap between the two distinctive styles, aside from metaphorical significance of The Wood itself. Throughout the film we are reminded (in song) that in The Wood everything is different and strange. In The Wood, one will encounter the worst impulses and temptations of human kind. In the first half of the film, this idea is celebrated as a fantasy, whereas in the second it is a matter of heavy-handed morality, punishing the characters and viewers for making irresponsible choices as it cuts through the glamour cast by The Wood in order expose its evil underbelly. Needless to say, this transition is too jarring, and deviates too far from the expected boundaries of the genre, any uniqueness it achieves outweighed by the magic that is lost by tampering with the simple yet effective formula of the beloved fairy tale. My recommendation is to see this film if you are more motivated by the moral conundrums of fairy tales than by their whimsical, imaginative qualities. Otherwise, you’re not missing much by skipping it. I do recommend checking out the cameo by Johnny Depp as the Big Bad Wolf, preferably via Youtube rather than subjecting yourself to the drudgery of the rest of the film.