All parent member reviews for Invictus

Adult Written bybconrad December 26, 2009

very inspiring, exceptional movie

Really inspiring movie, best understood by kids if you give them a little background information on South Africa before going. You couldn't ask for a better role model than Nelson Mandela in this movie. What a wise and inspiring person.
Adult Written bydillthecat January 7, 2010

Leadership, compassion, forgiveness... and testosterone-laden rugby

This is an uplifting movie and an inspiring performance by Morgan Freeman. It shows a narrow slice of history, but its message of compassion and forgiveness is very powerful. The rugby scenes were a little too testosterone-driven for my taste, but I don't see how they could have been omitted or done differently.
Adult Written byjustaperson July 10, 2010

CommonSense media isn't...

What the hell is wrong with you people?! No conventional violence?! What?! Within the first 60 seconds of the movie we are presented with close up video of man collapsed in the street with blood and brain fluid gushing from his head. CommonSense Media, get some editorial control over Sandie Angulo Chen. She obviously doesn't actually watch the videos she reviews.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byzedada June 6, 2010

Incredible inspirational story

This is an extremely well-made movie based on a true story that is gripping, inspirational, as well as an interesting piece of history. It is a wonderful sports movie that our whole family loved -- it didn't sustain our 5 year old's interest in the beginning as it was too hard to understand. However, our 9 year old absolutely loved it as did his parents. The 5 year old enjoyed the more action scenes at the end. Great, great movie.
Educator and Parent of a 13 year old Written byboxplayer November 22, 2011

Show it -- language be darned!

With parent permission, I showed it to my 5th/6th grade class. They were deeply affected in a positive sense, and it opened all kinds of dialogue -- about racism on all sides, about rugby rules, about the meaning of the title poem -- which we read and discussed in the classroom. We also discussed the film as literature -- what does the opening scene convey (poor black kids playing football/soccer, white rich kids playing rugby -- the fence material -- the response to Mandela as president. And more, of course, as the film went on.
Parent Written byMiaGirl October 10, 2011

Invictus is amazing!!!

Invictus is a great movie about sportsmanship and having faith in your team.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byjmar1 August 1, 2010

solid movie with good moral lessons

good story and themes on courage, perseverence, trust and teamwork
Adult Written byhcabats July 27, 2010

Inspirational History Lesson...as History should be taught and more would be interested in learning!

i was not watching it with the intention of sharing with my kids...but now may re-watch it as it is such a well done movie and such a great lesson for my kids to learn...off hand don't remember anything shockingly off, but may once i watch it again with the intention of sharing with my 9 & 7 year olds...4 year old probably would not stay interested anyway! but def. think this is a movie for all kids to see and learn from at some point! what an amazing man Mandela is! the swearing is something my kids probably would not notice anyway...and i would rather be the one to explain that type of language to them anyway as oppose to kids at school and i can easily skip the first few minutes as someone mentioned something in the beginning that i missed as i was quickly checking my email and just listening to the opening song...if not now i will watch with my kids at some point! and have already spoke to them about it as we were reading about him in the new book "Heroes for my Son" the next day after i had just watched the movie!
Adult Written byzafeer June 22, 2010

I love it. It's good for kids who are able to understand the history and its significance. Some parents think its a bad movie but I just say that's either racism or stupidity. Who doesn't want to watch a movie about a Nobel Peace Price Winner integrate a divided nation? Come one, this is inspiring and can make a grown man cry. But remember, DON'T SHOW THIS TO YOUR CHILD IF THEY CAN'T COMPREHEND IT'S HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE. Most teenagers nowadays are very ignorant and only care about their own little world. Those who care about more than themselves and their surroundings are the ones able to appreciate a movie like this. It's not just about rugby, it's about integrating a nation and ending an apartheid. If your child can't understand something like that on their own then don't show this to them. All they will get out of this is another sports movie when the team always wins. It's what the win accomplishes that's important.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written bypeter.harlan@gm... June 22, 2010

A truly great family sports film.

The rugby is tough and the movie requires some explanation of Apartheid and extreme poverty to young kids, but the message is inspirational and the action gripping. A great movie.
Adult Written by4Spice June 14, 2010

ok

this movie is a one time movie i wouldn't buy it has a good plot to the story 12 and over kids under 12 wont understand the story
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysumlerd May 26, 2010

it was ok
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Invictus

A grand preformance from such a legendary cast.
Adult Written by0averick December 26, 2009

Mndela did what Jesus might have done

A main point is that the OBVIOUS is often NOT the best choice. Mandela sees that it would be better that the new black majority join with the whites in support for the whites beloved Rugby team when it seems obvious that it should eliminate the team and it's colours.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bykvirgin December 23, 2009

the only violence is rugby: Not a problem for our family

the incredible story and history was worth the trade off in terms of the violence of the rugby game. it showed the sport for what it is, and did not glorify violence. I took my 10 1/2 year old son and we both loved it. the problem with PG 13 movies is the trailers shown beforehand.
Adult Written bysydneyg81 December 22, 2009