All parent member reviews for Iron Man 3

Adult Written byVoicetek May 5, 2013

Not Kid Friendly

I'm a 32 year old male who loves superhero/action movies. I'm a big fan of Marvel and the previous Iron Man movies. However, I was really disappointed with this movie. I was kind of hoping that since Disney bought Marvel and are advertising these movies on the kid-friendly Disney Channel and selling products in the Disney Store, that these newer Marvel movies would be slightly more family friendly. I can definitely say that this movie is worse and less kid/family friendly than the others. The first thing I noticed was how much language there was in this movie. 95% of the bad language was completely unneccasary and by the end of the movie it just started to feel like they were throwing it around just to use it. One that that really shocked me was when Tony Stark told a 12 year old boy that he was acting like a "p*ssy" for being upset over his dad leaving. Really Disney? This movie also was the first Iron Man and Marvel movie to introduce religious profanities. The use of the words *od dam* was used in this movie. There was also a lot of sexuality and drinking. This movie was also a lot heavier on violence. This movie showed real people blowing up, catching on fire, being shot, murdered, people falling from planes, beat up, broken and and bloodied and lots more. Honestly, I was kind of done with the movie about half way through. It just really bothered me that Disney would consciously market this type of a movie to children and families. Sure, I understand that this is a Marvel movie and probably meant to be more of an adult oriented film, so please stop marketing this film to children. Even without all the negatives, I feel that this movie didn't even really live up to the previous two. I was kind of bored and the movie seemed to go on longer than it needed. Overall a big disappointment. Parents, think twice before taking your children to see this movie. The language alone is bad enough and the violence is ever worse. Sad to see that this is the direction Disney and Marvel are taking with these films.
Parent Written byHopeful Pa January 2, 2014

Our Culture is Broken

This was the first time for us that this website was completely misleading and off the mark. To be clear: we enjoyed The Avengers and even the first Iron Man, and I respect the actors Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley, who are glimmers of humanity here. But who is this movie for? I'm not sure which I loathed more: the depraved conceptions of violence beyond that of the comic book variety, the grandiose and monstrously bad script that seemed written by a zombie-loving algorithm, the misrepresentations of an anxiety disorder seemingly surmountable by a child's snarky suggestion, the completely incompetent president, the ambiguous motivations of veterans as minions, the enormous waste of talent and money, or the utter pointlessness of this decadent project except to nudge the Marvel corporate plan inexorably forward. The cold-blooded killing of the geneticist was particularly uncalled for in reaching for fresh depictions of evil. To market the "Marvel universe" to young boys borders on the criminal. Leave our boys alone. I mean it. Corporate filmmaking at its worst.
Parent Written byDan G. May 4, 2013

It's too bad that Hollywood keeps selling sex to kids

This movie might have been passable for a younger crowd, but the hero is now living with his girlfriend. "If that's good enough for Iron Man and his woman, it must be good enough for me", is what the tween group may be thinking by the end of this movie. It is very clear that they are sleeping together, and there is sexual activity strongly suggested. Other than that, the film is fairly violent, and some of the language is not befitting children, profanity, rude and crude language occasionally is uttered.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymibb May 3, 2013

Darker and more violent than previous two films

The previous film (Iron Man 2) is my 5-year-old's favorite movie, so I had hoped to bring him to this one. No dice. Often the age suggestions on CommonSense feel too high, but in this case I agree that 13 is appropriate. This film is darker and more serious than the previous two Iron Man films. There are several scenes of grownups talking about mature themes, including terrorism, in a way that will scare, baffle, or simply bore younger kids. There are also several moments where things are not as they seem, which I know my kids would not be able to follow. Most significantly to me, a lot of real people get shot and killed. Compare that to the robot-against-robot fighting of Iron Man 2. If you're trying to moderate your kids' ingestion of violence, I'd suggest seeing this film first to judge for yourself whether your kids are ready.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLongstride May 3, 2013

A little too much for young minds...

This is obviously not aimed at young kids (PG 13?) but every little boy from say 5 and up loves superhero's and with all the toy/game tie in's that are out there, it's guaranteed that every kid is going to want to see this. My son who is 9 was jumping out of his skin to see this movie IE: "Dad,dad dont forget IM3 is starting Friday, I want to see it sooo much please, please!" etc... We went to a 3D screening at 5PM, we lasted 20 mins, honestly it is too much for kids younger than say 11. The movie has the ususal action hero violence but also an element of Horror/Thriller that is a little too much for young minds. My little guy ended up in almost a state shock after the "exploding man" at Mann's Chinese theatre. It looks like it's a great ride but too much of the Horror/Thriller trip for the young ones...you have been alerted!!
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written bypatriciaHSP May 25, 2013

Graphically violent - people killing people.

This movie is far too graphic for young teens/tweens. It's graphically violent, with people killing people. In one scene the audience sees the villain come up behind another person and snap his neck. In another, the audience sees Killian shoot a woman at point blank. Tony Stark maliciously hurts others and there's no purpose to it. The violence and mature content warrant an 'R'. There are several scenes with women in only their underwear, and several scenes show degrading behavior towards women, such as the completely unnecessary scene that depicts a woman who is drugged-up, strewn on a couch. The language was deplorable, and I grew tired of Tony Stark's arrogant, insensitive, and flippant attitude about 10 minutes into it. As a parent of young teen boys, I was very disappointed and outraged that this movie is being marketed (by Disney) to young boys. Definitely adults only.
Adult Written byhoffmans71 May 25, 2013

Waste of money

Wait for video but don't take the kids unless you want to hear the main character tell a kid not to be a p----! The womanizing is tasteless as ever.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylhc May 6, 2013

Awesome Movie for Kids

I thought this was a really, really good movie. Kids might find this movie confusing if they haven't watched the Avengers because it's a continuation of that movie. Kids should know that this movie really, really violent. It's funny at times also though. I thought that this was the best movie I've ever seen and I would recommend it to viewers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Joe Age 9)
Educator and Parent Written byDani The Persian Guy May 3, 2013

Last Night's Film

I watched this movie last night at the theaters with a friend. This film does show some positive messages to kids to be morally good as in to fight against evil but apart from that there were things that should not be shown to kids at a younger because it might be weird to them and might spark to a new curiosity to discover. The film is part of a franchise of two other films and a related film all together. I would highly advise that the child to be at least 13 years of age and could tell what roles men and women play in reality. The violence might seem disturbing to a few but some parts of the film is a bit comedic.
Parent of a 13, 16, and 20 year old Written byshelly2121 August 14, 2013

over sexualized trash

This is just a sad example of how to ruin a great marvel comic. The sex and womanizing is throughout the entire movie, what an example for the little girls out there. Bikini and beauty contests, women high on drugs laying on a couch, women in underwear, 2 women in bed awaiting one man. Horrible & disgusting. WHY can't they make a great hero movie without all this raunchy sex stuff that exploits women? Man of steel made a great movie without all that trashy stuff. Parents, don't take your kids, and in fact, I'd skip this movie altogether unless I was a lonely bachelor who needed to watch half naked women because I couldn't get one of my own :) lol
Parent of a 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byshemack321 May 10, 2013

Wait until it comes on video so that you can fast-forward through parts not suitable for 12 and under.

My family (kids ages 10 - 15) loves a good action movie, so we splurged on seeing Iron Man 3 in the movie theater. I have to say that I felt very uncomfortable as a mom in this movie. Some scenes were too violent on a deeper level. Terrorism was a threat throughout most of the movie. Fantasy is a great genre because it is far-fetched, and although it may be scary, you know it could never happen. This movie hit on topics that are scary and real. On a positive note, I liked the message Stark gave to one of the bad guys (girl, actually) that she was in contrast to Pepper because Pepper still "had her soul". Another lesson that it taught my kids was never give the bad guys your home address!!!
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byTeacher Mom101 May 4, 2013

Not for the under 10s

My nine year old did NOT hang with this movie----peril from about a half hour in, til the end. My hubs had to take her out just "when it was getting good", as she was covering her eyes AND ears by then. PG-13 FOR SURE, if your child is sensitive to peril and/or violence.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 4, 2013

Nice way to start the summer movies of 2013!

This movie was a nice descent way to get Marvel fans, like myself, excited to see the continuing story of our metaled hero! As always, the special effects are great! Although I do admit: There is a surprise between the middle and end of the movie that may shock Marvel fans (The villain, Mandarin, may not be what you expected. You'll see!). So put simply, this movie is a little bit different than the first 2 Iron Man movies. Good thing Tony is still funny! So yeah, I recommend this movie to all Marvel fans! There's references to the events of The Avengers throughout, including after the credits!
Parent Written byDodger Review May 18, 2013

Iron Man 3

Sure there's violence, but it's a PG-13 comic book-based superhero movie, so you pretty much should know what to expect here in that category (Nothing here really pushes the MPAA rating it was given). Despite the word "pu**y" being said, there's very mild language in this installment. I can only recall 2 scenes (Very brief) that had sexual references, and nothing is shown or done. They mention "drugs", but no substance is being shown or used. There are a few scenes of people consuming alcohol, but not irresponsibly. As far as positive role models go, I wouldn't have recommended the character of Tony Stark in the previous two Iron Man films, but here it shows that he's a changed man (which he mentions in the film). He remains faithful in his relationship, and with the exception of a "flashback" scene in the beginning, he doesn't party irresponsibly anymore. The only positive message I see here is that you should be careful and not create demons that could possibly come back to bite you in the future.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byspirona May 6, 2013

Good movie, but much more violent, intense, and serious than the previous two

We allowed our 9 yr old, who is very mature, to watch the Avengers, and Iron Man 1 and 2. So based on this, and the common sense media reviews, which said Iron Man 3 was similar to 1 and 2, we took her to see it. Bad idea. The violence was much more intense, realistic, and graphic. People were exploding and being shot with guns. In this case, the common sense rating of age 13 was about on point. I'd say 12, at the youngest.
Parent Written byTheRightReviews May 4, 2013

This is good for...

Iron Man 3 is slightly darker than most marvel films. The story involves terrorism, but (spoiler) the terrorist is just a humorous, British actor who has some funny lines when not acting as a terrorist. if your child has seen the xmen films, or the original Iron Man, or isn't restricted from most PG-13 films, this should be okay for them. I hope this helps your decision, thanks for reading, and have a nice day.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat May 24, 2015

Educator and Parent Written bymoviemom5 December 29, 2013

Lame. Lame. Lame.

If you want a laugh, go read the reviews on I_M_D_B com.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byelgweiro December 3, 2013

Great as long as you are 12 and older!! NO WAY PG13

Well, I do have to say I was a little surprised when I watched this flying to Las Vegas in the summer! Great, great film, but it's not one you can take the family to if you have younger kids. I would definitely recommend the youngest ages to watch this should be 12-13. By this time, children should be aware of alcoholism thanks to shows like East Enders and definitely Hollyoaks and also by this age, kids would have heard of a variety of drugs purely from watching the news or reading magazines and newspapers. I wasn't prepped for just how unlike the other 2 films this was going to be! Don't get me wrong, absolutely loved it, our 9 year old loves Iron Man but I told the wife when I landed "No way! There is no way our daughter is going to be watching this anytime soon." The reality is that Iron Man 3 reflects society in a grittier truer way, but I don't think littluns need to know about that at their age, definitely a 12 years old minimum! However!!!!...... People need to stop bitching and whining to a degree and this is where proper parenting should step in. Robby Jr plays Stark down to a "T" across all the films. For those of you who don't know Stark from the comic books era: Stark is a borderline sociopath with narcissistic tendencies. He is an alcoholic and a womanising playboy bachelor millionaire. The only thing missing from his character is huffing up huge quantities of Tony Montana's finest Columbian, which, would have been a step far too far for Stan Lee to write about back in the day! He is a product of a neglected childhood to a degree where his father didn't have time for him (oh how that sounds all too familiar today!). Tony (the character) goes through a transition across the Iron Man and Avengers films coming out the other side a better person all round. He has positives too. Not being technically a super hero he tries to change the world for the better with his fantastic intellect backing up the Old Days of Disney where school mattered much more rather than trying to sell sex, drugs and violence to youngsters. Tip for the future parents. Don't take your kids to the very first week of showing, let adults test these films out first and then review them on places like this. But, in the UK the BBFC classified this film as "12 Certificated" and NOT "12A" (the difference is 12A means children under 12 can watch the film accompanied by an adult whereas a 12 is purely for these aged 12 and up). This is a massive failing of American certification as PG13 and 12A are the same thing. This should have been a 13 pure and simple, but then again, one of America's finest exports across the world is the glamorisation of sex, violence and the sexualisation of children (especially girls) on the silver screen and in the music business. Parents across the world: do you job properly and watch films and listen to music first before your kids. If you let them listen to and watch Rhiana you need your head examined!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byalohamama November 3, 2013

Best Movie Ever

best movie ever.not for kids that are scared very easily, but most kids 10 and up.should watch it i definitely definitely recommend it.