Parent and Kid Reviews on

Iron Man Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 85 parent reviews

Sort by:

Good movie but kids are the wrong demographic, take PG-13 rating seriously and don't listen to marketing that implies otherwise

The movie is good but it is too violent for younguns. Found myself distracting my 8-year-old nephew from excessively violent scenes far more often than I would have expected. There is some social commentary that clearly draws parallels to real world issues: the horrors of modern warfare, American soldiers being killed, and the twisted morality of arming corrupt governments/terrorist cells with advanced weapons for the sake of profit. Tony is a brash, impulsive, and sarcastic playboy industrialist-turned-philanthropist who is shown making plenty of questionable choices throughout the movie leading up to his big change-of-heart; Characters drink alcohol and smoke tobacco in a fairly limited capacity. A sort-of implied sex scene shows 2 characters making out + rolling around in bed in their underwear. The woman later wakes up nude with only a sheet covering her body. A little later, she is escorted from Tony's house by Tony's assistant Ms. Potts and the two women trade jabs at each other, ending with Potts making a clever derogatory remark about the woman's status as nothing more than a one-night stand, equating her to "trash". Some presumably intoxicated flight attendants with drinks in their hands and exposed midriffs are shown dancing suggestively next to some stripper poles (the poles are not used and the ladies aren't dressed too provocatively). Expectedly mild use of vulgar language for a PG-13 film: multiple uses of h*ll, d*mn, b*tch. One use of pr*ck. One use of "BS" (only the letters "B.S." are said, not the word itself). Scenes of violence are quite frequent, realistic, and intense and can be too much/too realistic for kids not in their teens. Characters are shot, blown up, paralyzed, crushed, tortured, and burned. Scenes in the first half of the movie vividly and realistically depict modern warfare/insurgency tactics; an armored convoy is ambushed and destroyed by an IED and several soldiers are killed on-screen; Tony is held prisoner in terrible conditions and is unwillingly commissioned into forced labor; an intense firefight with lots of machine guns, explosions, and large fireballs ensues as Tony fights his way out of enemy captivity; a tense scene with Iron Man intercepting a terrorist attack against a village features guns, bombs, lasers, and tanks as families (with children) are separated and held at gunpoint. Later in the film, the antagonist Iron Monger's identity is revealed and he has his big showdown with Tony; Iron Monger is a character hellbent on profit through destruction and duplicity. His fight with Tony results in some local destruction as Iron Monger expresses his lack of regard for collateral damage. Cars are flipped, thrown, and destroyed; missiles and autocannons are fired; and near the end a character is killed with a large bolt of electricity.

11 people found this helpful.

Iron Man is great!!!!

I think ages 7+ should be fine watching this movie.

Ironman is amazing!!!

Ironman is a great movie although Don Cheadle is better than Terrence Howard

3 people found this helpful.

Good movie with a questionable scene

Great movie but has a lotttt of violence. I think anyone 11+ should be able to handle it though. There was one scene that I skipped over because it was really inappropriate considering little kids wanted to watch the movie. It happens around the 8:40 minute mark. I liked Tony Stark’s character and how he realizes that making money is not worth the harrowing war and violence out upon innocent people. Good role model to talk about morals.

Iron man (2008)

S*x scenes where there kissing and undressing each other swearing such as you son of a bit*h also there is bloody images

2 people found this helpful.

Good Movie but not for the little kids

Iron Man is a great movie for Marvel fans but it is aimed at a higher audience. There is a lot of comic violence and one scene with the male lead and a woman making love. There are also several scenes of innocent refugees being brutally murdered by a terrorist organization. There is also a lot of drinking scenes in which characters get drunk. If your kid wants to watch the Marvel movies I would wait until they are a little bit older.

2 people found this helpful.

Great movie, but NOT for kids! Too much realism in the violence (& sex), not "comic book"-esque like other Marvel Universe movies...

My kids are 9 (twins), 12 and 13. We have enjoyed other Marvel movies as a family (Antman, Thor, Captain America-First Avenger), for all of which I found the CommonSenseMedia description to be accurate, with cartoon-esque violence that isn't realistic enough to be scary for my kids, and where any sexual innuendo is tame. This movie's realistic and intense scenes of torture, armed jihadi-types capturing civilians in a village and agonizing scenes of separation of children from parent and father almost executed; physical paralysis, etc are FAR too violent and realistic for the younger age kids. The sex scene early in the movie also far too realistic for this age group. During violent scenes, I had to mute / tell all my kids to cover their eyes, while I read them the dialogue from subtitles so that they would still understand the plot. WAY TOO MUCH REALISTIC VIOLENCE, and realistic sex; not what I've come to expect from the "family friendly" end of the Marvel Universe.

Iron Man Review

Iron Man only seems to improve with age. Having seen it recently for probably the third time, I found I enjoyed it possibly more than I ever have before. Here's a film that transcends the usual boundaries the superhero genre is always accused of. I contrasted it with Captain Marvel, and found despite an arrogant protagonist, it works, because: 1. RDJ's performance feels honest, 2. Iron Man undergoes serious trials and faces clear-cut opposition when he fights for what he believes to be the greater good, and 3. The story is solid and compact, not over-long and told with a nice grittiness and realism you might not find in later Marvel films. There are real stakes, and every plot point belongs and contributes something. All of this allows the action to feel earned and natural to the story. The comparatively untouchable person of Captain Marvel stands almost in opposition to this kind of film. Admittedly, the content is more explicit than I would have it. Back in 2008, Marvel's target audience was a little more mature, and the film shows that mentality in a short sexual scene starting at about 8:55, as well as the strip poles and dancing girls with midriff exposed, later on. The violence is not excessive, but it has a certain realism to it that some later Marvel films opted out of for a more "sterile" feel and look. Language is listed below: 1:35 - Good G*d 2:50 - Son-of-a-b*tch 8:55 - love scene 10:00 - An abuse of Our Lord's Name 16:25 - Possibly b*tch 18:05 - H*ll 49:30 - OMG 50:00 - OMG 51:05 - Oh G*d 1:09:55 - Oh G*d 1:16:55 - H*ll 1:19:25 - H*ll 1:20:30 - H*ll 1:24:15 - OMG, son-of-a-b*tch 1:24:35 - BS 1:31:55 - OMG 1:42:45 - D*mn 1:49:10 - OMG 1:52:10 - Pr*ck 2:05:35 - H*ll

1 person found this helpful.

Parents should be more careful reguarding the media they select for their children

Us parents, tend to be too liberal when it comes to making decisions reguarding movies our children should watch. I have noticed a reviewer ( even though he/she is only twelve) saying: " I've seen more violent movies than this", as if this argument makes it ok to go against what the experts say regarding violence for young children. Before being informed about ratings and age appropriate media for children, I let my 7 year old watch this movie. Now that I am informed ( after a huge amount of research) I can say that I regret letting my son watch it. I don't care what a turn around "Playboy" tony had towards the end of a movie. He is shown in bed with a stranger ( and I don't want anyone giving me ANY crap that they did not show anything. REGARDLESS, you do not need to show the whole sex scene for the child to subconsciously comprehend that tony just had an "adventure" with that reporter only to have left her dumped in his room to be escorted by his secretary and to make things worse, to not even have remembered her name when he encountered her again. Parents, may I remind you not to judge the sexual and violent scenes according to the 30+ years you have been living, but, instead, according to the kind of scenes a child should be exposed to? May I remind parents that children MUST be exposed to good role models of masculine and femenine behavior. It doesn't matter that Tony had a turnaround in his life. The problems he had were on an adult level. Problems should be more at the child's reality. If it does not, I think that is a clear indicator that the movie is inappropriate. For example, can it be possibly good for an 8 or 9 year old to learn from a Playboy bandit turn good? The problem he turned away from is by far, ages away from youngsters realities.