Parent reviews for It

Terrifying evil clown movie based on Stephen King classic.

Adult Written byUsername101 September 7, 2017

Nowhere near as graphic as the book.

The movie is fine, not that bad, barely any swearing... the book however is very extreme and contains 200+ f words, 10 c words, graphic violence, sexual violence, children have orgies... just avoid the book all together and watch this please.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byRandall S. September 9, 2017

Great for adults but not for younger kids

This movie is a combination of horror movie/coming of age movie. The story of misfit early teenagers going through that awkward prepuberty years. This part of the story has a feeling of an King movie, Stand by Me. Although the dialogue might be characteristic of a group of boys this age, puberty jokes, etc, it has many curse words and for me to encourage a younger child to view it. Also, the underlining story of the female character being molested by her father isn't for younger children. It never says that she is molested, but is strong insinuated and implied. The horror in this movie, isn't bloody but is sudden and enough to cause a younger child to have nightmares. I was surprised by how much I liked this movie as an adult but don't feel comfortable with encouraging any child to watch this.

Adult Written byJerry M. September 7, 2017

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO

The book had much more gore and swearing than this film. I made the mistake of letting my 12 year old read the book and then he got hooked on the movie. I read the book and was shocked by the content matter and was skeptical to letting him see the movie. After I saw it, and realized while terrifying, it is nowhere as gory or as swear ridden as the book. The book I would agree with CSM and give a 15 but the movie is ok for tough 12 year olds and anyone above that age. If they read the book they can totally see the film
Adult Written byJason W. September 13, 2017

kids who can handle scare and violence

I think if you can handle scary movies then you're ok. its a amazing movie though you definitely should see it I am 39 and I took my horror obsessed 10 year old he was ok no nightmares no nothing

Adult Written byRan K. September 8, 2017

Worst Movie

This movie has very terrible massages for most critical age of teenagers, like bullying, hurting friends in school physically and emotionally, encourages teenagers for violence and recesses... shouldn't be show for any age

Adult Written byBarbara S. September 7, 2017

Fine for fourteen year olds

I took my 14 and 16 year old boys and they both really enjoyed it. They didn't find it scary or disturbing at all. My 14 year old has almost finished the book and said that the book was more violent than the movie. Definetly recommend IT.

Parent Written bySammantha L. September 7, 2017
This is definitely the best Stephen King film adaptation so far. When SK himself approved of the film before I had the privilege of watching it, I was ecstatic because that could mean it raised the bar. When we talk about Pennywise, we all have that idea of how great Tim Curry's portrayal was, but with this film, there's absolutely no use in comparing Skarsgard's portrayal with Tim's because Bill's unpredictable version of Pennywise was undoubtedly perfect! He just has something that makes him alluring but at the same time you're just infatuated by his creepiness as Pennywise. It was scary but there were laughs in the audience because it had this perfect balance with laughter, scares and the way the movie was filmed and written. If you've read the book there were definitely important stuff that were emphasized in this film. Everything was just greatly polished and the madness and unpredictability of it just left me in awe. I think it would've been better if the movie was longer, yup 2 hours and 23 minutes weren't enough. What's even better is how little gore It (no pun intended) had. Much less than the book, or any horror movie I've seen this year.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byKeegs M September 9, 2017

Overall Very Scary and Bloody Feature is the Stuff of Nightmares

It is very scary and much more disturbing and blood that its 90's counterpart. This film is creepy and definitely not for children and iffy for early teens. Much of the storyline is the same, but much more gore and violence is shown on screen in a variety of sequences. Based on Stephen King's novel of the same name, It is the story of several teens who are consistently attacked by a shape shifting clown. Most scenes are dark in atmosphere as well as dark (as in, little to no light). People are killed and blood is well, everywhere. It's disturbing. It's scary. And it's great, especially with friends who are terrified with clowns. Younger teens and kids will definitely have nightmares if they watch this so make sure they pass on this one. There is a ton of cursing with every word in the book, a lot of derogatory talk, and some talk of sex in a naïve teenager sort of way. Two teens kiss. The violence is in almost every scene of the movie so if you're squeamish, skip it. Let me tell you a little bit of the stuff you'll see; arms come off, bodies twist in freaking weird ways, vomit, heads that are not attached to a body, a body that does not have a head attached, dolls, dolls, and more dolls, dead people, a broken arm that is not going a way an arm is supposed to (if you catch my drift). And that is like half of the movie. Now this movie is in two parts (like the book and original flick) and if you watch this part you will most definitely want to see the other one! Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while for that. So try it out, just make sure not to get too scared.

Adult Written bypelicangirl September 30, 2017

Depends on your kid

My 10 year old, who has pretty mature tastes for his age, begged me for weeks to take him to this. I finally did. We both enjoyed it. It was a little scary, but not too bad. Mostly jump scares. I would think carefully before taking: -a very sensitive child (obviously) -anyone who is afraid of clowns (another no-brainer) -a child who has lost a sibling or young friend or other young relative -a child with a history of sexual, emotional, or physical abuse -a child who has trust issues with adults (the adults are awful) -a child who has been seriously bullied (my kid has not been bullied, but found the #1 bully to be as scary as Pennywise) -anyone who is disturbed by the sight of large volumes of blood The film depicts strong friendships between kids - they are really there for each other.
Adult Written byJohnem95 September 7, 2017

Scary, but tolerable for horror-loving teens

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the miniseries. This is definitely scarier than the miniseries - and also way better. If your kid has already been introduced to the horror genre and can handle such films, I think this will be tolerable for them. If your kid gets upset by scary movies (or is afraid of clowns for that matter), wait until they're a little older. The kids in the movie are charming and relatable (one in particular is a hilarious potty mouth). Their friendship is touching in that these are kids not accepted by others (they're bullied, with confrontations shown), but they accept one another, and fearlessly team up to take down Pennywise, who takes the appearance of each kid's worst fear. There are a few jump scares (but they're thankfully not false ones), but the scary clown alone will be more than enough to scare even some adults. This is also more graphic than the television miniseries, with the sewer scene involving Georgie being considerably more detailed. The new IT is not for the faint of heart, but some thrill-seeking kids should be able to take it on.

Adult Written byDennis T. September 14, 2017

Good Garbage for adults ONLY

The movie IT has always been a classic horror but this remake is unnecessarily full of F this and F that... throughout the entire movie. Pathetic filth for a film full of young kids in the movie. So if you plan on seeing it, don't be a loser parent and take your kids with. Nor let them see it. Especially under 18 kids. Be a parent first, not a buddy. But besides that junk, it was good and entertaining.

Adult Written byWade W. September 6, 2017

Cool horror movie !

It is a horror movie with child wanted and his a little violent but is very good !

Adult Written byJsivaches September 11, 2017

Great movie

I would say this isn't for children but then again what stupid parent would let their kid watch a rated R movie about a killer clown? For an adult rated movie I loved it.

Adult Written byAmanda L. September 7, 2017

Not like the classic at all

This ruins the classic movie in so many ways. This was such a disappointment. I was so excited about this but it was horrible. Stick to the story. This did not stick to the original story at all. So so dumb. Whoever wrote this movie needs to be eaten by the original IT
Parent Written byAtticus W. September 8, 2017
No worry some content, a few light cuss words from hear and there but perfect for a Saturday movie watcher

Parent Written byTodd G. September 11, 2017

AMAZING! DON'T TAKE CHILDREN UNDER 12!

My 12 yr old trembled through allot of this movie. At one point I had to calm him down as he was hyperventilating. Keep this in mind. Afterwards he couldn't stop taking about it. He was up all night with nightmares, and he has never had nightmares. No problems the following nights. He loved it, but says he won't go see it again. The child acting is fantastic! Great message.... tame your feeds to defeat evil.

Adult Written byWill M. September 12, 2017

Terrifying for children but great scare for teens.

SPOILERS: Gruesome violence, not for younger kids, but teens will have a great time watching this. Pennywise too creepy for kids under 16, as it might give them nightmares, but better than the 1990's version. Bravo.

Parent Written byMelody I. September 9, 2017

Pretty scary and lots of fun!

scary, funny, endearing, creepy, fun! There is a lot of crude humor jokes. It's mostly the 13 year olds friends picking at each other. There's jokes about birth control, crabs, "wangs", tickling your pickle, being A virgin, being a slut, a guy grabbing his crotch towards the girl in a taunting way. These things would be a bit too sexual for an 11-12 year old viewer I think. But then it's R rated for a reason. There is a scene where the kids strip into tightie whites to go swimming which is just awkwardly funny and not sexual at all. The girl shows up and gets down to her undies and bra too but it's not sexualized at all. It's the equivalent of taking off a robe or swimsuit cover and then she's in granny panties and a bra. Nothing revealing or sexual although the boys do want to stare at her later as she's sunbathing. But it's not sexual for the viewers. No long camera angles going over her body or anything, no cleavage, no butt cheeks. There is an implication of Beverly being molested by her dad however this is implied in the creepy way he smells her hair or constantly asks her if she's still his little girl. There are no sexual touches or implied sexual touches on screen. Overall I wouldn't take my 12 year old to see it, but I did take my 15 year old niece and some older kids and we all loved it.
Adult Written byBrock S. September 25, 2017

Awesome, interesting, and a great movie!

This is a great movie with very minimal scenes with any amount of blood. The only scene which might scare some younger viewers is the part were Georgie gets his arm bitten off and taken by IT but this is the most gruesome part of the movie by far. This movie has some cussing, and one girl (Age 15) smokes in one scene, but doesn't’ have really any terrifying scenes. This movie is a great way to introduce preteens or teens to the horror genre. This is overall one of the greatest horror films i’ve seen. It also has some scenes which show how kids can deal with bullying and other problems they have which also adds a positive aspect to this film. Overall I would recommend this to kids around the age of 11 or 12 and can handle it.

Adult Written byValdosta S. September 16, 2017

Meh......dollar movie material.

Great cast, especially Jaeden Lieberher (Oliver from St. Vincent), so I had high hopes for this film. The language was pretty raw and typical of teenage boys......perhaps a bit too mature for some kids. The ending was a major let-down.......I've seen scarier things at my local Walmart at 2 am. Save your money for the dollar theater or Netflix.