Parent reviews for It

Terrifying evil clown movie based on Stephen King classic.

Adult Written byBrock S. September 25, 2017

Awesome, interesting, and a great movie!

This is a great movie with very minimal scenes with any amount of blood. The only scene which might scare some younger viewers is the part were Georgie gets his arm bitten off and taken by IT but this is the most gruesome part of the movie by far. This movie has some cussing, and one girl (Age 15) smokes in one scene, but doesn't’ have really any terrifying scenes. This movie is a great way to introduce preteens or teens to the horror genre. This is overall one of the greatest horror films i’ve seen. It also has some scenes which show how kids can deal with bullying and other problems they have which also adds a positive aspect to this film. Overall I would recommend this to kids around the age of 11 or 12 and can handle it.

Parent Written bySammantha L. September 7, 2017
This is definitely the best Stephen King film adaptation so far. When SK himself approved of the film before I had the privilege of watching it, I was ecstatic because that could mean it raised the bar. When we talk about Pennywise, we all have that idea of how great Tim Curry's portrayal was, but with this film, there's absolutely no use in comparing Skarsgard's portrayal with Tim's because Bill's unpredictable version of Pennywise was undoubtedly perfect! He just has something that makes him alluring but at the same time you're just infatuated by his creepiness as Pennywise.

It was scary but there were laughs in the audience because it had this perfect balance with laughter, scares and the way the movie was filmed and written. If you've read the book there were definitely important stuff that were emphasized in this film. Everything was just greatly polished and the madness and unpredictability of it just left me in awe. I think it would've been better if the movie was longer, yup 2 hours and 23 minutes weren't enough. What's even better is how little gore It (no pun intended) had. Much less than the book, or any horror movie I've seen this year.

Adult Written byTrisha K. October 10, 2017

10 year old daughter loved!! Would reccomend!!

My daughter really, really wanted to see this movie, and after reading the reviews I decided it was too scary for her. After lots of begging, I agreed, but she had to leave the movie theater if she was scared. It was a little frightening in some parts, but mainly extremely empowering and really connected to girls her age, since the clown was all a metaphor for anxiety. I, as a parent, thoroughly enjoyed the underlying message, and my daughter loved it too. Definitely would reccomend!!

Parent of a 7, 13, and 16-year-old Written byFernando V. September 29, 2017

IT REVIEW

It was not as terrfying as I thought it would have been. But still I had a fantasic experience at the theatres. It really kept me at the edge of my seat. Pennywise looked and talked creepy. It was a fantasic adaption of a terrfying novel. It not as bloody as the novel is. There is no sexual content. But there is rumors about a main character named Beverley, rumors are she sleeps with guys. So overall IT was amazing it has great actors and great actress. Just strong performesces. I giving It a 10/10

Adult Written byWade W. September 6, 2017

Cool horror movie !

It is a horror movie with child wanted and his a little violent but is very good !

Adult Written byJason W. September 13, 2017

kids who can handle scare and violence

I think if you can handle scary movies then you're ok. its a amazing movie though you definitely should see it I am 39 and I took my horror obsessed 10 year old he was ok no nightmares no nothing

Adult Written byJerry M. September 7, 2017

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO

The book had much more gore and swearing than this film. I made the mistake of letting my 12 year old read the book and then he got hooked on the movie. I read the book and was shocked by the content matter and was skeptical to letting him see the movie. After I saw it, and realized while terrifying, it is nowhere as gory or as swear ridden as the book. The book I would agree with CSM and give a 15 but the movie is ok for tough 12 year olds and anyone above that age. If they read the book they can totally see the film
Written byAnonymous March 19, 2018

bad

scary gory violent

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byRandall S. September 9, 2017

Great for adults but not for younger kids

This movie is a combination of horror movie/coming of age movie. The story of misfit early teenagers going through that awkward prepuberty years. This part of the story has a feeling of an King movie, Stand by Me. Although the dialogue might be characteristic of a group of boys this age, puberty jokes, etc, it has many curse words and for me to encourage a younger child to view it. Also, the underlining story of the female character being molested by her father isn't for younger children. It never says that she is molested, but is strong insinuated and implied. The horror in this movie, isn't bloody but is sudden and enough to cause a younger child to have nightmares. I was surprised by how much I liked this movie as an adult but don't feel comfortable with encouraging any child to watch this.

Parent of a 10 and 13-year-old Written byJohn Behr March 12, 2019

Horrible.

What's the damage? A lot. "IT'' tells the story of seven outcast kids in Derry, Maine, who are dealing with bullies, but their summer is made worse when they must overcome their own personal fears to battle the murderous, bloodthirsty clown known as Pennywise. The problem doesn't come from the plot, which is a ripoff of '' Super 8'' and ''A Nightmare on Elm Street'', you can see a lot of other problems with ''IT''. Let's get down to said problems. 1. The kids are stupid. For instance, the Losers' Club never get help from the police, let alone a single adult, they just go to fight Pennywise all by themselves, and they don't even bring any weapons.
2. Too much violence. As far as violence goes, Pennywise is stabbed in the head, he slashes a child's chest open, tears another child's arm off, a bully tries to carve his name in a child's chest and Pennywise is hit with a chain, a bat, a pipe, a rod, and even bare hands.
3. The adults are weird. Seriously, they are all either pedophiles, overbearing, or both. I get that Pennywise might have a malign influence over the adults, but some of them, most notably the mother of one child, come off as schizophrenic.
4. Pennywise's origins are never made clear. While he's clearly supernatural, how he came to be is never explained. I'm left wondering, was Pennywise a human cursed with immortality, á la Freddy Kreuger, or was he never human to begin with? His motivation is also never explored either.
Overall, this is a horrible movie with many, many, many, many flaws.

Adult Written bySuper dad 123 December 24, 2020

Depends on how mature your child is

It is scary but if your child is mature enough they’ll be fine. Fir example i took my son to see it when he was 9 he wasn’t that scared but his friends just saw it ( he and his friends are now 11) and they were really scared. Its kinda gory but there is no nudity or s*x. And barely any drugs/alcohol but alot of swearing

Adult Written bycami098 August 21, 2020

super funny

lots of language used by kids also gory in the first five minutes. talk of sex and “f***ing your mom” and similar things. this is spoken by a 12 year old and is used for comedic purposes.

Adult Written byRan K. September 8, 2017

Worst Movie

This movie has very terrible massages for most critical age of teenagers, like bullying, hurting friends in school physically and emotionally, encourages teenagers for violence and recesses... shouldn't be show for any age

Adult Written byCori47 May 1, 2021

Not Scary, Predictable

It was simply "okay" not super captivating but did have an interesting story. Language, gore and some kissing were moderate, so I personally don't recommend for under 14.

Adult Written byThecoolparent22 January 2, 2021

Super sad movie

It is a movie about a killer clown but it is also a movie about a strong friendship that cant be broken i was literally tearing up at the end of the movie there is some cursing and a bit of blood but your kid should be fine if there mature

Adult Written byJudy Swanson December 23, 2019

How Is Such Filth Acceptable?

My mature 15 year-old son, Adin, and I remember the time we first saw this movie. Back in August, he begged me to see this movie. And he ended up regretting it. This movie is full of swearing, by kids, no less. Why would someone make a movie like this? My son very much agrees with me and says this movie is sending terrible messages to kids.

Adult Written byJudeCatMeow September 4, 2021

IT IS THE BEST

I love this but there is just a little inappropriate content, also, there’s a lot of bullying and swearing. There is a scene where a kid is getting bullied and the clown comes and waves the a bloody human hand, also there is a monster eating a kids face

Adult Written byTyyyyyy6 September 1, 2021
Adult Written byTheunheardTV July 22, 2021

Awesome!

This movie is great! My stepson watched this and loved it! There was one scene were Beverly’s dad was acting creepy and my stepson counted the f words there were 61! The language might be bad but it’s a movie about bullying and friendship. This movie may be scary for kids under 8 but I would recommend 10!

Adult Written byskri26 July 19, 2021

Great

Amazing movie!! But there are a lot of uses of f--k s--t and other strong language. I wouldn't take your 10-year-old but your 14-year-old might do fine. There are many scenes with blood and gore. Almost every scene has a bad word in it. Other than that a great movie!