All parent member reviews for It's a Wonderful Life

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion November 2, 2008

One of the best holiday movies ever!

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is, and always will be, one of the best holiday movies. The strong message of being thankful and living life to the fullest never ceases to inspire. You're always rooting for George Banks to see how precious his life really is. As the film opens, you hear a voice in the stars (supposedly God) speaking to another star named Clarence. He tells Clarence that he must go down to Earth to save George, who is about to take God's most precious gift (life). We then see the events of George's life played out, up to the point where Clarence, his charming guardian angel, must show him how great his life really is. And the only way to do this...show him what life would be like if he never were born. The overall theme of suicide is tense but not scary. There is no violence or language. Sex is very minor, with no sex, but when George and his soon-to-be wife are playing, she runs and her robe gets snagged in a bush. She then hides in the bush (we hear her voice) and is presumably nude (but we don't see anything at all). It's a great movie. Watch it if you can.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylizruest December 23, 2009

Reassure first-time viewers

We thought our 11-yr-old was ready for it, but he questioned the suicide theme, and the scene where George gets hit and his ear bleeds. He liked it in the end, but was disturbed several times at our choice! As adults, we tend to wrap it in the good feelings from the end of the movie, but a first-time young viewer may need reassurance.
Parent Written byPlague December 18, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

A classic movie the whole family can watch and charish together. 5 stars for sure.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byeldetee March 5, 2009

Kids don't appreciate it!

While there is no objectionable content for kids, my husband and I feel you can't really appreciate this movie until you're a young adult - college age at least. We recently saw it in a vintage theater (fantastic venue for this) with a 9- and 15-year-old and they were both BORED! I would rather have my own kids see it for the first time when they can truly understand and value its message.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 18, 2015

a wonderful movie indeed

I'd have reservations about letting a child under 10 watch because of the suicidal theme. For those 10 and up, though, this is a movie that they should watch. When George wishes that he'd never been born, Clarence the angel is sent to tell him the positive impact that he's had on his family, his community and people he knows, and how lives changed for the better because of him. At that point George realizes that it's a wonderful life indeed. Essential viewing for 10 and up. Moreover, this movie can be viewed all year.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

The title says it all

How to review one of my favorite movies of all time? So many wonderful messages: Jimmy Stewart's spirited attack on Potter's soulless capitalism could have been given at an Occupy rally, and his impassioned plea for the community to stick together rather than abandon the bank for their own selfish needs is one of the most inspiring scenes on film. The relationships are heartfelt and real: George's love for his brother, his wife, and daffy Uncle Billy demonstrate his growing humanity, yet his regrets and sadness over all he has given up for them are never glossed over. A bittersweet reminder that while we may fail to realize our ambitions, our "ordinary" lives still have meaning and beauty. And then there's the swimming pool scene!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydrpepper700 September 30, 2012

Classic!

I have been watching this movie every year since forever. My Christmas favorite. There is nothing that is objectionable for kids in the movie, but obviously 5 year old is largely uninterested. She wanders around the living room when we watch it, pausing only if something very interesting to her is happening. Sadly my 12 year old little sister is also still uninterested, although I recall liking it at her age. So really it depends on the child.
Adult Written bysarah91 April 9, 2008

A must see classic!

I love this movie! it's wholesome, great for anyone of any age, great heart-warming messege. I watch it multiple times around Christmas!!
Adult Written byrivyuwer October 24, 2011

Classic

This film oughta be shown in utero. I've been watching it every Christmas since at least kindergarten. Jimmy Stewart is unequivocally on point, Donna Reed is angelic, and the message is heartwarming and timeless.
Adult Written byoctober1985 December 12, 2010

Good movie but drags a bit in the middle
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

The suicide theme is a bit tough for sensitive kids to gel with. Suicide is a prevalent problem among children now a days, especially those faced with problems, so I would be careful showing kids any movie now with a suicide theme. Other than that, this is a great classic for the whole family to share that has affirmation and value.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJazzerGyrl December 16, 2009

A true classic!

We absolutely love this movie in my house. Well, I do! My 9 year old watched it with me all the way through the other night...a little hard for her attention span, but she loved the ending. It has a great message to send to all ages!
Parent of a 3, 6, 7, and 15 year old Written byMichaelDean April 19, 2009

Best Movie Ever!

This is my all-time favorite movie. There is nothing inappropriate for kids, but youngsters will probably be bored. My mom forced me to watch this when I was a kid, but I didn't really start to enjoy it until around 16. Only now that I'm married and have my own children do I fully appreciate this excellent film. And it's not just for Christmas, I can watch it year-round.
Adult Written bybigallmightydad April 9, 2008