All parent member reviews for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bythebottomline October 30, 2011

Not for young kids

This is not appropriate in my book. Stupid, blockheads? Really I trust this site but they were way off on this one. Maybe when my kids are 8 or something.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byMommaJ31 November 2, 2010

Doesn't send a good message to young kids on how to treat others with repect.

I've watched this movie classic since I was a child and can't believe the horrible message it's sending out to children on how poorly they treat each other. Name calling and putting each other down terribly bad. Lucy is down right horrible to everyone, including her brother till the very last part of the movie. I'm not sure where the original review of the movie came from but it's not as positive as it seems from the cover. You may not notice it as a child, but you definitely notice it as an adult with your children watching. We actually turned the movie off while watching it with our kids (ages 4 and 6) because of how horrible they treat each other. Bad example, bad message to send to kids. Just because they're the cute Peanuts characters doesn't make it right to degrade each other and put each other down and name call and think they're cute and funny.
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Can Watch With Any Age Level

My family loves this movie. Great family fun, and one line ("I got a rock") has become family catch phrase. My son wants to dress up in Charlie Brown's poor cut up ghost sheet, my daughter wants to wait for the Great Pumpkin every year, and personally I want to don my own WWI Flying Ace costume. Nothing to worry about here.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE October 27, 2011

Good movie--and yes it does have language I don't like

My daughter (6) has watched this since she was 2. She asked us why they use the words stupid and blockhead and we just explained that we don't think it is nice. But it is still a great movie otherwise. This year our son (2) will get to watch also.
Parent of a 9, 15, and 16 year old Written bymwestjohnson October 13, 2011

It's The Best!

A classic film, it doesn't feel like Halloween without watching this one. My children (and I!) have watched it since they were old enough to be interested in television, and know that the teasing and name calling is part of the cartoon. Although sadly a lot of kids do it in real life, mine do not.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTabernash October 29, 2010

It is wonderful to see us continue a family tradition to watch (and wait for) The Great Pumpkin that I grew up with in my family. Our kids have watched this since they were 2+. The use of stupid and blockhead make us a little uncomfortable with the little ones but nothing to make a stink over.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCarlDG October 16, 2009

It's a classic that it can be passed through generations.
Parent Written byViannaR October 25, 2014

Bullying not for little ones

These Peanuts films are classic and wonderful. However, the bullying scenes are very intense for little ones. The name-calling is brutal for young ones developing a social sensibility. So, I strongly disagree that this is appropriate for four-year-olds.
Adult Written byLowe's man October 19, 2014

a Halloween treat

Whether you have children or not, you just get memories watching this again and again. While parts of this special will frighten some children under 4, others under 4 will not be frightened even the least little bit. All the fun of Halloween. Snoopy's journey as a World War I flying ace is the best part of all. In fact, when Linus thought he saw The Great Pumpkin he really saw Snoopy. This will bring back memories of imaginary people (or creatures) that many of us "knew" when we were younger. The only thing that I'd change is that Charlie Brown should've gotten candy or money instead of rocks. After all, he was in costume, so no one was supposed to know that it was him. But again, this was only the 3rd Charlie Brown special. Had more been made before that Charlie Brown may well have gotten a "real" treat, just for a plot twist if for no other reason. This is one that can and should be passed down to each new generation.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bysahmcolorado October 27, 2012

Heffalump Halloween is a Must Watch

Great movie - one of our favorites!
Parent of an infant, 4, and 6 year old Written byjmo444 October 26, 2012

peanuts and pumpkins

this is a classic for halloween movie night. my biggest concerns are the amount that the word stupid is used (frequently), and also how to explain to my children why everyone picks on charlie brown, even the people giving out the candy.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byhill_dk October 29, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed watching this holiday classic with our son.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 27, 2010