Parent reviews for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Halloween isn't complete without this classic.

Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byJ T November 2, 2010

Doesn't send a good message to young kids on how to treat others with repect.

I've watched this movie classic since I was a child and can't believe the horrible message it's sending out to children on how poorly they treat each other. Name calling and putting each other down terribly bad. Lucy is down right horrible to everyone, including her brother till the very last part of the movie. I'm not sure where the original review of the movie came from but it's not as positive as it seems from the cover. You may not notice it as a child, but you definitely notice it as an adult with your children watching. We actually turned the movie off while watching it with our kids (ages 4 and 6) because of how horrible they treat each other. Bad example, bad message to send to kids. Just because they're the cute Peanuts characters doesn't make it right to degrade each other and put each other down and name call and think they're cute and funny.

Adult Written byViannaR October 25, 2014

Bullying not for little ones

These Peanuts films are classic and wonderful. However, the bullying scenes are very intense for little ones. The name-calling is brutal for young ones developing a social sensibility. So, I strongly disagree that this is appropriate for four-year-olds.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byReviewer12 November 1, 2018

Not as great as I remembered

I watched this movie as a kid and thought it would be fun to share with our kids...well I was a bit taken aback by how horribly the characters treat each other and their use of name calling. People calling each other “stupid” and “blockhead” constantly. We don’t speak to one another that way in our house so it was upsetting to our children to hear someone say, “my stupid brother...” we had to turn it off not even 10 minutes in.
Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byJDJay October 31, 2020

Disappointing

The movie contains the word stupid and uses the word ‘kill’ in reference to a pumpkin. The friends are unkind to one another as well. It’s surprising this movie is rated for 4 year olds. I highly disagree.

Parent of a 8-year-old Written bymelanieb41 October 11, 2018

A classic with flaws

I grew up on this movie and didn't really see how much bullying there was in it until I had children. Suddenly, I became very aware of how much consistent bullying and belittling there is. For example, at the Halloween party they use the back of Charlie's head to draw a design for their pumpkin... Lucy is mean to everyone including her brother, lots of people were name-calling Linus, Sally was blaming Linus for her own bad decisions, and the list goes on....
I watch this when my kids aren't around. I do not feel that this should be for little children while they are growing, developing and learning about how we treat others. Honestly, it's probably not good for anyone since no one wants to be treated that way, but it is what it is.
I feel older children would be able to separate how this is a movie vs. how we actually treat people.
Adult Written byElizabeth G. October 22, 2021

Horrible bullying and domestic violence

Unfortunately watched this with my young kids after not seeing it in years and remembering it as a “classic” family-friendly movie.

Two of the human main characters are bullied, mocked, and called names (“stupid” and “blockhead”) by peers. One is the victim of a violent prank, and the other is physically assaulted by manual strangulation by an older sibling.

Casual animal abuse in the home is also depicted, as well as a scene in which an animal is in a aerial firefight and is nearly hit by a barrage of machine gun fire.

My four year old was very disturbed and kept asking if the animal would be safe. Absolutely do not recommend.

Adult Written byLebron12James3 December 14, 2021

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh scary

Adult Written byLeaper September 10, 2018

A Halloween tradition !

Great characters, well written and keeps the attention of even the young ones.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHendo H. U December 24, 2017

Awesome!

Parent of a 2 and 4-year-old Written byCliffton T. October 8, 2017

My daughter's fave

Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 11, and 18+-year-old Written byAdrianna R. August 12, 2016

Hilarious....

"I gotta rock" and the Charlie Brown Ghost costume have become popular in our house.

My 6yo did the Charlie Brown Ghost last Halloween.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie February 14, 2016

Fun and Friendly--- and a poor film

There are so many problems with this movie. The first thing I remember about this movie is its plot. Charlie wants to find this "great pumpkin" that doesn't come out. The animations are dated for a 2000 film. More importantly the fact it's a 2D film. Where is 3D?

The movie also has a big problem with dialog. Poor lines like "Wow! Nice costume!" Those aren't very creative at all.

It's unoriginal. The characters are the same.

It's just a poor film. Bad and just a waste of time.
Parent of a 10 and 10-year-old Written bymaddox121 August 25, 2015

watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every October 31st watch it!! I've got a rock is funny.

Adult Written byLowe's man October 19, 2014

a Halloween treat

Whether you have children or not, you just get memories watching this again and again. While parts of this special will frighten some children under 4, others under 4 will not be frightened even the least little bit. All the fun of Halloween. Snoopy's journey as a World War I flying ace is the best part of all. In fact, when Linus thought he saw The Great Pumpkin he really saw Snoopy. This will bring back memories of imaginary people (or creatures) that many of us "knew" when we were younger. The only thing that I'd change is that Charlie Brown should've gotten candy or money instead of rocks. After all, he was in costume, so no one was supposed to know that it was him. But again, this was only the 3rd Charlie Brown special. Had more been made before that Charlie Brown may well have gotten a "real" treat, just for a plot twist if for no other reason. This is one that can and should be passed down to each new generation.
Parent of an infant, 4, and 6-year-old Written byjmo444 October 26, 2012

peanuts and pumpkins

this is a classic for halloween movie night. my biggest concerns are the amount that the word stupid is used (frequently), and also how to explain to my children why everyone picks on charlie brown, even the people giving out the candy.

Parent of a 2 and 6-year-old Written byDogLover in DE October 27, 2011

Good movie--and yes it does have language I don't like

My daughter (6) has watched this since she was 2. She asked us why they use the words stupid and blockhead and we just explained that we don't think it is nice. But it is still a great movie otherwise. This year our son (2) will get to watch also.

Parent of a 9, 15, and 16-year-old Written bymwestjohnson October 13, 2011

It's The Best!

A classic film, it doesn't feel like Halloween without watching this one. My children (and I!) have watched it since they were old enough to be interested in television, and know that the teasing and name calling is part of the cartoon. Although sadly a lot of kids do it in real life, mine do not.

Parent of a 2 and 5-year-old Written byTabernash October 29, 2010
It is wonderful to see us continue a family tradition to watch (and wait for) The Great Pumpkin that I grew up with in my family. Our kids have watched this since they were 2+. The use of stupid and blockhead make us a little uncomfortable with the little ones but nothing to make a stink over.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byhill_dk October 29, 2010
My husband and I enjoyed watching this holiday classic with our son.
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Can Watch With Any Age Level

My family loves this movie. Great family fun, and one line ("I got a rock") has become family catch phrase. My son wants to dress up in Charlie Brown's poor cut up ghost sheet, my daughter wants to wait for the Great Pumpkin every year, and personally I want to don my own WWI Flying Ace costume. Nothing to worry about here.