Parent reviews for Jason and the Argonauts

A stop-motion animation masterwork.

Adult Written byStephanie E. May 27, 2021

Parental Note Regarding 2000 Version

Note to parents. Understand this version is family friendly.

The 2000 TV miniseries version has sexual content.
Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bymarkegiani October 24, 2020

A few scary moments ...

Adult Written byBigelmer October 13, 2013

The landmark stop-motion animation film

Considered THE masterpiece in stop-motion movie making. The realism may be lost of today's audience that is used to computer generated special effects. However, the pure spectacle of the special effects in this movie are Hollywood legend. They aren't as real as computer generated effects, but they are more effective. During the Academy Awards in 1992, Tom Hanks stated that he felt this was the best movie of All-Time. Talos, a 100 foot bronze titan, was voted the second most terrifying movie monster of all time by Empire magazine. The scenes where Jason and his crew fight the Hydra and the skeletons inspired a generation of moviegoers. The 3 minute skeleton scene took 4 months to make by the king of stop-motion animation Ray Harryhausen.

As I was researching movie history, Jason and the Argonauts was referenced quite frequently. I had never seen the movie, so we watched this movie with my kids when they were in 7th grade - we both loved it. The beginning is a little slow (under 3rd grade will likely be bored). But once Jason sets off on his journey, then kids in 1st grade and up would love every minute.

Educational Value
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byG_from_Paris January 10, 2011

Educational Value
Parent of a 8-year-old Written byumanota June 12, 2010

Good story, lousy effects, but a classic film

My 8-year old son loves the old Harryhausen flicks, especially "Jason and the Argonauts" and "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad". Of course the story is good, being a classic, so there is some interest for parents.