Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Jem and the Holograms

Strong messages can't save otherwise so-so adaptation.

Adult Written bydaniellez1 October 25, 2015

Not like the original and way too much for PG

As a former watcher of the Jem cartoon, I took my 9 year old daughter. The first 5 minutes had 3 curse words and kissing. This movie was way too mature for my 9 year old. They could make so much more money if they truly targeted the 8-12 age range. So disappointing

Parent of a 12 year old Written bymsMommy2u November 1, 2015

The. Worst. Movie. Ever.

OMG. What in the world happened here? The meandering, disjointed plot line, the cheesy teen makeovers and the fact that it literally made so little sense made it painful to endure. Even our tweens, ranging from 7-12 years old were pointing out plot inconsistencies and making fun of this mess. Poor Juliette Lewis...an academy award nominee having to do a movie like this. I wonder if, like many others, she thought this would be a movie about strong crime-fighting, rocking bad $&@ young women as featured in the comic. Some good articles online about the gutting of this movie, conceptually and financially that resulted in this insipid movie about makeovers and boyfriends (as contrasted with male-centric comic films like Batman). Not worth your time.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjessvargas October 23, 2015

Average movie fixated on social media

I was so excited about a new updated Jem for the next generation that I took my daughter to see this on a school night. There is a glimmer of the original Jem in the movie and some wonderful additions like Juliet Lewis as Erica Raymond. What bothered me was the emphasis on social media. As the mother of an 11 year old daughter, the role of social media in her life is a concern for me and underneath the positive messages about family, there's an undercurrent of the importance of social media that I would prefer my daughter not be exposed to. I wish this movie had more of the fun fantasy for kids than the fixation on realistic Youtube stardom. Girls need more fun fantasy movies and less soft sells on social media obsessions.

Adult Written bySelectiveAudience June 3, 2016

Frustrating!

I am really frustrated after watching this movie with my two daughters (7 and 10). I am frustrated with the movie, but MOSTLY with this common sense review. It does not list in the "language" section that the word "[email protected]$$" is used frequently in the movie. That's rather relevant information that was left out! I usually preview movies, but this sounded safe enough. I don't know if I can trust this website anymore. The movie had quite a bit of language. My girls loved the catchy music and the messages about family, but I was really disappointed that I was blindsided by the content. Thanks for nothing, common sense media!

Adult Written byTrigg3r Happy 3 July 24, 2016

Not the real Jem

I never saw the real Jem during the whol movie, this movie was far from the real Jem and the real Jem has huge pink hair, Jem was set around the 80s go to google images and type in Jem and see what you get . I grew up watching this aroun when He man and GI Joe was out,this movie was boring and inaccurate movie
Adult Written byskwnmkr June 1, 2016

Truly Outrageous!

As a huge Jem fan from the 80s, I was worried that I wouldn't like this non-animated version, but ending up loving it. Yes they made changes, but all-in-all, they stuck to the positive messages of love and loyalty, with a touching story line about Jerrica and her deceased father.

Adult Written bylbhcritic October 25, 2015

Love this movie

My friend and I went with our kids we loved it very much, and recommend in the highest. It was thoughtful and caring, and there is not a thing I would change! This is not an inappropriate or violent movie and I would let a 6 year old see it, there were multiple 6 year olds in the rows around us. We throughly enjoyed this movie and will tell all of our friends about this wonderful experience! I sincerely hope there will be a sequel!!!!

Parent Written byRivertown Mom October 26, 2015

Girl Power Pop

Took my 8 year old daughter --neither of us are familiar with the cartoon. My daughter plays guitar and is interested in inventing things with circuit kits and robotics so the trailer indicated this was perfect for her. The Jem character was a good role model-- inventive, talented, modest, smart -- and although the movie makes use of social media in an interesting way (cross cutting amateur music acts and videos with the actual movie) the main character has her own concerns about keeping private matters off of the Internet. I honestly enjoyed the entire movie (there were a couple of narrative holes in the screenplay which we discussed later and my daughter excuses them saying that it provided the necessary "twist" in the plot). All in all the good guys win, the importance of family is underscores, and the one bad guy gets her just desserts. Reasonably decent music too-- pop radio style. My dislikes include the repeated use of the term "dumb ass", the tendency of one character to lift other people's possessions, and the requisite culminating kiss on the lips of the hero and heroine at the end of the movie (as my daughter and her friend said it would have been better left to their imagination-- but they are fourth graders so maybe older kids won't find it as "Embarrassing";)). For us older viewers it was great to see Molly Ringwald as Jem's aunt and Julliette Lewis as the record company impresario.