Kid reviews for Jessica Darling's It List

Uneven junior high coming-of-age tale has comic stereotypes.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBunnyCC101 February 9, 2020

Jessica Darling's It List: A false portrayal of middle school

DO NOT WATCH!
Jessica Darling's It List is about a girl just starting seventh grade with her best friend. As she stays the same, her friend becomes a whole new person and becomes very popular, while leaving Jessica feeling like a outsider. Although the plot was okay, I felt like they were portraying a unrealistic model of middle school. In the movie Jessica's sister, Bethany tells her that you have to make everything that you do in middle school an attempt to have a boyfriend, or to become popular, or make the cheer team, when that isn't a great message. Especially not if you are a kid starting middle school. There were so many stereotypes, and you really shouldn't need a boyfriend in seventh grade. It looked like a really low budget production, so that might be part of why it wasn't great. I really hated how Bethany made jokes about how "she couldn't believe they were related" just because Jessica didn't wear the same type of clothes. It was a just a general failed attempt to be a funny and sweet family movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmilyRichards2 November 24, 2017

Low-Budget Cliche

With dry humor, horrible acting, and stereotypes so old they should be dead, this movie SCREAMS low-budget. Seriously, they had like fifty kids play an entire school, and the plot and script were so cliche I wanted to puke. No matter what adults who haven’t been to a real school in like a million years think, middle school kids are nothing like they’re portrayed in the movie. It was so cheesy, it almost has a good message, but all it really did was enforce a bunch of bullcrap stereotypes.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypandalover317 October 31, 2017

Not good.

I got a little offended when Jessica's sister was grossed out when Jessica's wore that vintage band shirt. I wear band shirts all the time! That doesn't mean I don't have friends! Everyone can dress how they like. You don't need to be popular, just be yourself! And...who wants a boyfriend in 7th grade? For future 7th graders or middle schoolers, this can scary because they might think they won't have friends if they are not popular. This is very stereotypical and I found nothing interesting in the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylivshox August 12, 2017

Meh.

Jessica Darling's It List has a cute message, but all the parents saying this movie is relatable obviously have no idea what they're talking about. I watched this movie with my friend and she completely agrees with my rating of one star. The humour falls flat, the characters are unrealistic, and you can tell that whoever came up with the idea of this movie hasn't been in Junior High for years. The ridiculousness of this movie gave me a laugh or two, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again. It's not bad enough to be good or anything, so don't bother watching if you like that type of movie. This movie sucks. Don't torture your kids by making them watch this.

Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2018

Anyone else commenting as a joke?

If so, say this was helpful
Teen, 13 years old Written byCool_movies June 24, 2018

Omg truly the best

That’s a lot of positive messages it’s really good I think it’s a really good move for five and plus

Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenthicc May 30, 2018

Favorite movie!

It list is my favorite movie ever! I first saw it at my cousins Bat Mitzvah, and I was stunned. It was amazing! I have such a strong love for this movie, it really changed my life! Jessica is a great actor! Manda is kinda annoying but whatever. Definitely a good watch!

Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2017

Great movie with an awesome ending

10/10 wold reccomend. great for all ages bt older kids wold nderstand better. love the ending.

Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2017

Enjoyable

I found the film entertaining and it has a good message. Drama, comedy, it has it all. More for girls than boys.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydrwholover August 21, 2020

Great for kids starting high school

This movie is a great family friendly drama about starting school. There’s nothing inappropriate about it and it’s just great fun for all ages

Teen, 13 years old Written byPocket Pigs August 6, 2020

Kinda Feels Like It Should Be A Movie From An SNL Skit/This Movie Can Be Described By One Word: Stereotypical

Where do I even start? The plot itself is a stereotypical plot that we've all seen before in books/movies/TV shows, a girl goes into middle school trying to be popular, her old BFF becomes super popular and they aren't that close anymore, the main character doesn't become popular but she finds some other outcasts and becomes friends with them and decides she doesn't care about popularity. I'm sure everyone has seen that plot in millions of things before, so it's kinda boring to see this plot reused yet another time. The characters were extremely stereotypical, Jessica (main character) was a normal girl with nothing too special or interesting about her, her elementary school BFF basically becomes a stereotypical cheerleader, her older sister is a stereotypical pretty girl diva, her mom is a want-my-daughter-to-be-more-like-me mom, every boy in the movie treats the girls really horribly, etc. There is nothing special to any of these characters. They're not even characters, they're just stereotypes. Nothing but stereotypes. Okay, now let's talk about how offensive the movie was.
1. Bridget (Jessica's old BFF) compares being at a new school to being "like refugees". Seriously? Refugees face such harsh conditions. Plus she said the word "refugee" like it was dirty and a bad thing.
2. The boys treat the girls horribly and degrade them. They only like Bridget because she's blonde and wears makeup. They only value girls for their appearance. Whenever Jessica goes to woodshed for her elective (She didn't want to, but there weren't spots left in anything else.), the guy she gets partnered with says, "Eww I'm with a chick." In the end they become friends, but I don't think Jessica should've been friends with him after him saying something so sexist and disgusting. Her BFF ends up kinda dating someone, but that guy obviously doesn't care about her as a person he only likes her cause she's hot. The movie totally let all the boys get away with awful and sexist behavior.
3. Jessica's mom wants Jessica to be "girly", but let me further explain some of the things that make this a problem. Jessica's mom wants her daughter to be into makeup and things like that. Whenever Jessica wants to try something that is not "girly", Jessica's mom is just disgusted to the point where it's even more sexist than just wanting your daughter to be "girly", which is obviously sexist in the first place. For example, Jessica decides to try out running as a hobby. Jessica says, "Mom can we go to the mall?" and Jessica's mom gets very excited. Jessica's mom asks if she wants to get makeup and a dress and shoes for the school dance. When Jessica says no I want to get running shoes, the look on Jessica's mother's face is just pure disgust. Then her mom says can we get them in cute colors. Jessica's mom's never even apologizes for her behavior. She should've let her daughter pursue whatever she wanted without being disgusted when she was interested in anything that wasn't "girly."
To sum it up, don't watch this movie. You've already seen this plot so many times, so why watch it again when you could watch a movie that has an original plot.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVulpixel June 15, 2020

From what I saw, it was alright

I think it’s kind of good because it deconstructed a lot of stereotypes about middle school and being “popular”. I didn’t really enjoy it that much, but there was nothing wrong with it. The acting was good, it was just missing something. I think it’s just because there’s a lot of similar movies and shows. It’s fine for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjohnybob44 April 11, 2020

Don't listen to other reviews!

Don't listen to the other reviews. This was a great movie! First of all, yes it is about popularity, but the main character, Jessica, proves that keeping your best friends is way better than being popular. She also says that she would rather be happy than popular. There is nothing inappropriate at all. Mild flirting, but no kissing or anything like that. Not really any violence. One character does run into something that knocks her out for a few minutes but she is fine and no blood at all. Some of the characters only care about being popular and liked Jessica a little in the beginning but liked her way more once they found out that she was the school mascot. There are also great friends to Jessica like Hope and Alec/Marcus. This movie is totally relatable because a lot of girls can relate to Jessica. She doesn't fit in that much. Overall great movie. It really shows the power of friendship. I recommend this movie for all girls 10 and up. Although it would be fine for most all ages, but girls 10 and older will enjoy it more, being set in junior high. Super good!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCarolinaluna February 3, 2020

Pointless, shallow, and boring movie. Do not watch!

To be honest, when I started watching it, I did not expect it to be any good. Amazingly, it was worse than I expected. Terrible filming quality, and not superior acting. I guess it could be fun for a laugh, but not for much more. Do me a favor and don't waste your time.
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2019

Disappointing

This movie was SO stereotypical! So many of the girls are all about the 'hots' which are the popular kids. Jessica's older sister is super annoying and cares way more about fashion and being pretty and cool than she does about being in college, and rushes home from her classes to give her sister (Jessica) fashion advice. The movie plot is not completely terrible, but the whole thing together is just a bad movie in my opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanyanymos August 26, 2019

and this was supposed to be relatable...

Yes this movie had a good message, but in terms of entertainment value it was horrible. A few parents had said it was "relatable" which is completely untrue, it was filled with false stereotypes and it felt like out of everyone involved in the production of this movie, not a single person had actually experienced middle school. But I got a good laugh out of it (watching it ironically though, the parts that were actually meant to be funny were just dull). But I guess at the end of the day this still might be enjoyable to a younger kid. Still I just feel like they shouldn't have to watch horrible content just because they are too young to be able to notice.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLululemon29 August 23, 2019

Bad message

Throughout the storyline, the main character, Jesssica, is constantly trying to please others around her and taking the heat for stuff she shouldn't be ashamed of. Her so called "best friend" Bridget, is not a nice person based on her actions, she treats Jessica like trash and expects to be treated like gold. She also ditches Jessica most of the time for boys and then makes Jess feel bad for not being a good friend. I dont think that's right. Yet in the end, Jess doesn't end up realizing that the people around her are the problem not her. I dont think the ending was complete, and Jessica had such a weak presence.
Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2018

This is an actual "it" list!

The movie is UH-MAZING! If your into drama,cheer,or just a good funny movie, this is for you! This is a very appropriate movie for anyone,but I think girls and boys who are actually in middle school will understand this (this movie takes place in 7th grade) and connect with this more. I hope you think my review is helpful and bye!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMovielvr July 9, 2018

It was pretty good

This movie didn’t have the best acting, but it was still enjoyable. It has great messages in it. It is pretty predictable, but some parts are surprising. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who is entering into middle school, or a new school in general

Teen, 13 years old Written byseelight April 10, 2018

AWESOME MOVIE

This movie is amazing! I love the plot, and the situation that Jessica is facing is so related to how many teens feel about junior high. This movie really inspired me to follow my goal and told us listen to yourself and your passion. Overall, really interesting and inspiring movie!