Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Decent Doc

Not a great work of documentary film making, but an eye opening look into a world few of us really see . . . but one that plays a big role in the politics of the current administration. What I found most intriguing is the furvor behind the training of these children. Had the woman in charge of the camp told them to commit acts of terror in the name of Jesus, these kids would have . . . this is how you train a jhihadist.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byChicagoan December 7, 2009

Thought provoking and fun to discuss

My daughter and I watched this movie together when she was 13 years old. We were both fascinated by it, and seeing it gave her the idea that "documentaries" film category is something to check out, rather than to dismiss as boring. This movie was a good starting point for us to discuss varieties of religious belief, education, and point of view (e.g., what do you think that the film maker thinks about this type of religion, and what makes you think that?). I don't think that very many kids under 13 or so would find this interesting.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bystaceyebox April 9, 2008

Scariest movie I've seen this year

A must-see in my opinion. I am apalled that I let one of my children go on "vacation" with a friend once, and they actually went to one of these camps. The parents and youth pastor in this movie commit a disturbing form of child abuse, but I could not stop watching, and I am glad I did. Very enlightning.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 1, 2015

Disturbing to say the least

I have friends on both sides of the spectrum of religious beliefs, obnoxiously hardcore atheists and obnoxiously forceful Christians. Everyone of them would cringe at "Jesus Camp," a revealing, extremely disturbing documentary on a camp targeting young children for extreme evangelism. Religions usually don't bother me unless they preach hate, which this movie does in droves, calling out abortion, Democrats and anyone who doesn't bow down to their doctrine like they practically forced the kids to bow down to a cut-out of George Bush, one of the creepiest images I've ever seen in a nonfiction film. If you're a practicing level-headed Christian, show this to your kids on what not to do and how not to force religion down other's throats. If you're not religious, this movie will only back up your beliefs, but know this is not all Christians depicted. The movie succeeds because it doesn't pick sides, it simply, as all good docs should, just shows its subjects at work.
Adult Written byDrizzt Do'Urden August 11, 2014

Disturbing

I am 14 years old, have seen the Big Lebowski, 300, Donnie Darko and Akira, and this is the movie I turned off. This movie maybe scarred me for life, and I am honestly glad it did so. This movie shows the insanity and cruelty of a quite disturbing Evangelical camp,and shows the way they completely eradicate logic and skepticism from the minds of poor boys, and the pain they force them through. I felt so sorry for the boys and girls over there, who were absolutely tortured by that insane b**** and her fanatical devotions. After a while I turned it off because I couldn't take it, and have tried to pick it up again numerous times, each attempt culminating with me crying and shutting the movie off. However, I think you should show it to your kids. It honestly convinced me to never join a religion like that, which will make them more tolerant and respectful people. Because of this, the movie has a great message
Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 15, 2010
ok. Evolution is wrong, but Fundamentalist Christianity is REALLY stupid. Im an evangelical and I know God exists, but these peoples aren't Christians, they are just cults making up a bunch of lies. These people are liars. I'm sorry for this profanity but man this film makes me that mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byChristc878 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byima April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydeadlyonroad April 9, 2008

Weird movie, would not watch twice.

Fist off let me say that not all evalgelical christians act in such a manner. This was a very interecting "documentary" into the lives of some very wacked people, their drive for a perfect lifestyle in the face of God has forced them to push everything else away. Its really selfish, I know that this movie will spark dedate in most churchs accross the nation. I do not recamend this movie for someone under the age of about 14, simply too much to comprehend at one time. This is a culture shock movie, one has to enter the theater knowing that they are going to see strange behaior.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Mature, enlightening documentary is not without flaws...

This documentary is enlightening, but also very mature. Those who watch it need to be old enough to understand the issues discussed. Understanding the slant of the filmaker is also key. This movie was filmed from a liberal perspective. While I agree with a more liberal perspective, I still want to know all sides of the story. Make sure you (and your kids) are comfortable with this viewpoint before you watch it.