Parent reviews for Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey

Christmas musical has imagination, positivity, diversity.

Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written byVincenzo November 15, 2020

Nice, but a bit boring

I enjoyed it, but while it seemed to be geared for a younger audience, it chugged along at a very slow pace and my kids were getting bored. They love other musicals like Mary Poppins for comparison. This one needed more action and much less long, slow dialogue.
Parent Written byWanjeri December 11, 2020

A gem

I looked forward to watching this flick but was disappointed by the villain who didn't have too much depth. The action bits I struggled to believe. I loved forest Whitaker as the elderly toymaker and found the mail lady endearing despite her overt aggressive advances. That said, if you are looking for a movie to enjoy as a family this is it. As an African I shed a tear when I caught a glimpse of kitenge in their costumes. So believable because the cast was mostly African and African American. I don't know a single African who doesn't wear kitenge/chitenge/kente/ankara/Kente on a regular. The musical numbers had me feeling all sorts of joy. They were undeniably influenced by african American music. There was some R&B vibes and the highlight that had me standing up and weeping for joy was the snowball number where Journey and the kids did the 'gwara gwara'. My 4 yo even commented at that! I truly saw myself in a musical for once. I enjoyed the movie more than my kids for sure because for once it was a musical in an alternate universe where africans are portrayed positively. They thrive and are the masters of their own destiny. A December staple.

Adult Written byMimiPA November 17, 2020

Reconstruction South

I watched this movie while in the process of reading Isabel Wilkerson's CASTE. My first and overwhelming connection was to the Reconstruction Era of the South following the Civil War. It was a post dystopian look at the believable and believing South that portrayed people of color as optimistic, curious, capable, intellectual, and hopeful. I cried with joy as characters looked forward to a new and better life through knowledge, science, and acceptance. My emotions were especially challenged by what has since been lost in the hearts and adventuresome minds of previously enslaved persons who tasted possibility and were ultimately confined to the lowest caste in our woefully white supremacist country. This movie was a lovely exploration of what belief and curiosity can deliver. From my vantage point of 2020, and in America, it was both beautiful and shockingly painful to consider. I believe children of all ages and especially children of color will be enchanted and encouraged by this wonderful cast, score, cinematography, invention, and intellectual value; while folks such as myself who have come to know the depths of our country's CASTE system will be convicted of our supremacist system and our participation in it for over 200 years. Thank you to the creators of this gem. My hope is that all who can, and those who will need supported access, will view this masterpiece and open their minds to possibility for all , not as a threat to those who have, but a portal to the vastness of all dreamers on the planet.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byCynLyn7 December 4, 2020

Great movie

Loved the story and imagination, and strong female character. But my 4 year older got really scared at one point when the kids are running through a tunnel while being chased by fire, and asked me to stop the movie. We’ll try this again next year!

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byAwesomenatious November 13, 2020

Magical, Whimsical and full of Heart

This is a story of ups and downs, Injustice and betrayal. But most of all love and song and magic.
The film is an emotional ride. It is a family movie through and through.
Some of the special effects are a bit low rent and you have to get into a mood of acceptance of the impossible.
It’s a Netflix film, doesn’t feel super high budget.
However it hits all the right emotions. It is uplifting and hopeful and it really made us smile. My Kids 6 and (almost) 8 loved it.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byErin A. October 29, 2021

Fabulous family movie!

Our whole family LOVES this movie. Kids (5 and 10 years old) and parents both enjoy this one again and again!

Parent of a 3 and 7-year-old Written byksuter March 10, 2021

Parent of a 5 and 5-year-old Written byksaunders521 January 12, 2021

A much enjoyed movie for our family!

My 5 and 6 year old loved this Christmas movie. They found the main character to be inspiring. We all enjoyed the music (still are even a few weeks after Christmas!). My 6 year old is very sensitive, and the only scene that bothered her was when the grandfather yelled at his granddaughter. However, it did not deter her love for this movie.

Parent of a 4 and 11-year-old Written byNikki F. December 31, 2020

Great family holiday movie!

Watched this with my 4 1/2 year old & 11 year old. They both liked it, as did I. The story was a bit complex for the 4 year old, but the singing, dancing, & the young lead character kept her watching. There were some tense moments for the 4 year old, too, but she wanted to keep going. My eldest enjoyed it, though I think he’s on the older end of the target audience.

The story line is timeless (love, loss, family, perseverance, imagination, belief) & the feel of the movie is delightful—amazing costumes, fun music. A lovely holiday movie to add to our list.

Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written byVwupchurch December 31, 2020
Adult Written byTigerDad7 December 26, 2020

Under Rated

Some of the reviews for this movie are rather lukewarm., so I felt compelled as a dad to write one to correct those poor impressions. This film is top tier-- great songs, great singing, great dancing, and impressive visual effects, costumes, and sets. The plot has the right blend of mystery and magic to make it an intriguing holiday film for the whole family, and there is no inappropriate content to speak of. If you are a fan of musicals like "The Greatest Showman" or "Les Miserables" you'll like this movie-- a lot! It is a more family friendly version of those films. It is not a Santa movie, but it certainly is great holiday entertainment-- much better than some of the so-called holiday 80's classics being pushed on us that I watched as a teen and now realize contain a lot of raunchy humour, poor treatment of women, or innuendo that I don't wanna have to explain to my daughters!

Parent Written byClintzen08 December 19, 2020
Adult Written byRodgee December 14, 2020

B

To be honest, we watched an hour maximum then got bored. It’s the type of movie you will only watch once. We love agood kids movie but in our opinion it wasn’t great. Nothing compared to some of the greats classics etc. Didn’t keep us hooked.
Adult Written byPrettyCoolMama December 6, 2020

Beautiful! But lacking.

The previews for this movie really caught my eye. Gorgeous costuming and set design! It’s a full blown musical, which I didn’t know but wasn’t surprising. It’s produced as if it was a stage show, similar to Greatest Showman. Definitely got the same vibe right away from it. I like the uplifting storyline, but it was definitely a little boring, inconsistent and lacking. The characters were predictable and lacked depth. Within the first scene you know who the villain is going to be, but it would’ve been better if his drive to be that was his own instead of coerced by a toy matador. I found that part strange. There was an oddly creepy postal carrier woman lusting after the main character, who eventually does give in to her advances which I found annoying and a bad message to send. She has one line that carries a good message, but otherwise her role comes off as pushy and unwanted.

I also don’t get how inventors and toy makers need magic to make things work. I’ve seen this in a few movies (Nutcracker, 4 Realms for one). With all the focus on STEM these days, wouldn’t it make more sense to show kids that inventions can work without magic?

I absolutely love period pieces set in old-fashion styled towns, but there are certain expectations that come with that and the dancing and music style threw me off a little. There was a snowball scene that went into African dance. It was cool to see and we’ll done by the actors/dancers but didn’t seem like it fit the setting. If it were an all white cast I would think that would be considered cultural appropriation. But I guess since it was a mainly black cast, it’s ok?

The young actress that plays Journey is beautiful as well as talented. She definitely enhances the aesthetic and quality of the film. I was excited to see Forrest Whitaker, too, but his rainman-esque portrayal of the inventor when he’s older was distracting.

Overall, it’s a colorful and lively movie. But didn’t hold the attention of my 2 yr old or my 11 yr old. So, we probably won’t be rewatching it.
Adult Written byMuibo December 6, 2020

Great movie

My 7 year old and 10 year old loved the movie. No explicit sexual references, but there is the mail lady who is in love with the main guy and she holds a mistletoe over him to get him to kiss her (he eventually does later in the movie). No bad language, but one guy is called a fool. I wouldn’t really call it a Christmas movie, but it was really good.
Adult Written bySekiaV November 28, 2020

Really good!

This movie was a pleasant surprise! My husband felt up for a Christmas movie and this was on a lot of lists, so we loaded it up for family night.

Great acting, some really powerful songs and messages in this movie. They really went all out on the costumes and sets too.

My only problems were that the doll was very annoying and the woman throwing herself at “Jerry” was a bit over the top for a family movie. But even that subplot had some heartwarming moments.

The villain was well acted but could have benefited from a bit more depth. That perhaps works well though in a movie that in the end is more about defeating the doubt and demons within yourself rather than any external forces.

Parent of a 3 and 6-year-old Written byBrittany T. November 27, 2020

Great! Minus a few parts

Great movie that didn't scare my girls. My youngest is 3, and she was fine. Excellent film showcasing black excellence with amazing music, dancing and animation. There is once scene where the woman tries to throw herself at Jeronicus Jangle, we turn the captions off because it's pretty suggestive in a few lines of the song. There is also a mistletoe scene, but he kisses her on the cheek. Harmless but we still fast forward through that scene. Overall we love it and have watched it 4 times already. I highly recommend it!

Adult Written bydtwhite1 November 24, 2020

Will become a classic!

Love the music, the inventions, the stories and the message to learn.

Adult Written byBparrish89 November 23, 2020

Parent Written byTami S. November 22, 2020

Perfect for Family Movie Night!

My husband and I watched this movie our two children ages seven and 10. We also had grandpa with us as well. It was a great movie full of whole hearted laughs and a great storyline. We found the diversity of the characters in the movie to be refreshing. Overall it is a wholesome, holiday film great for family viewing.