Kid reviews for Joker

Joker Poster Image

"That's Life."

In an era of cinema so saturated with superheroes and gritty remakes, Todd Phillips and Phoenix somehow take a character so deeply intrenched in pop culture and create something compelling and unique. This film is unafraid to be bleak and scary without offering much to the viewer as a means of comfort. The only way we can deal with the harsh cruelties of the world is by treating it as a joke. Upon leaving this movie, you will not hate Joker, you will hate the world that made him. Phoenix simply cannot be praised enough. He brings both sympathy and tragedy in the way he moves his eyes, the way he contorts his shoulders, the way he laughs. A lesser actor would be unable to swing his moods from as far extremes as Phoenix does nor add the layers that Phoenix intricately builds for his character. The way he twists and writhes his body is mesmerizing and brings even more tragedy to the Joker. This is Phoenix's movie. As for the technical side, this movie is far different than any other super hero films of recent years. The cinematographer and director choose a shallow focus, giving Pheonix a) the undivided attention of the viewer and b) a more personal feel to the film. There are wide shots with deep focus, but they are used sparingly because this movie is about a character, not action or explosions. The color palette of this movie is intentionally composed of dour greens, blues and tepid yellows--- all of which gives the world a sickly feel. The soundtrack is used affectively, bringing waves of optimism to intentionally clash with our protagonist's angry depression. This film will likely be compared to The Dark Knight and DCEU films, which I don't find to be fair. This film is far more akin to The Machinist and The King of Comedy in tone and visual style. I recommend this film, and I think anything short of an Oscar nomination for Phoenix would be disrespectful to the effort he gives. However, I have one gripe I would like to voice. I found the tie-ins to the Wayne family to be unnecessary. It came across as pandering to an audience that loves Easter eggs more-so than the story itself. In my opinion, I think the story would have worked even better if it had distanced itself from the Batman story. Other than that, I had little issue with the rest of the film. Joker is a movie that tells us life is full of sadness, and then gives us a character whose purpose is to spread laughter and joy. I was going to finish this review with a joke, but, you wouldn't get it.

3 people found this helpful.

Brutally violent, deals with a theme of mental health but has lots of violence.

After hearing good things about this movie I decided to check it out, however I was left rather disappointed and quite disturbed. !spoilers! Violence: 5/5 This deals with a theme of a mentally ill clown who gets beaten up by a gang of teenagers at the start of the film, a bit later, Arthur is given a gun by his work colleague for “self defence” Later on Arthur’s gun falls out his pocket while at a childrens hospital while performing a clowning act, he is later fired. He gets on a train when he gets harassed by 3 drunk wealthy men. He pulls out a gun and shoots 2 of them while the other tries to run off of the train, Arthur shoots him and while the man is crawling up the stairs wounded, Arthur shoots him several times (all of this is seen on camera). Later on, he visits his mum in hospital and finds out that he is adopted which he has never been told, he then takes the pillow his mother is lying on and shoves it until his mother dies and flatlines (you can’t see half of it but see the actions of him shoving the pillow and the thuds) A bit later on some excolleagues visit him because they are worried about him, Arthur stabs one of them with scissors and there is a big pile of blood on the walls and floor, the other one is a dwarf and can’t reach the lock to get out, Arthur also stabs him violently (most of it is scene on screen). After this Arthur is invited onto a TV show where he loses his temper and shoots the host in the head which is fully shown, he then shoots him a couple more times and gets taken away by police. We also cut to a bit of lore about when Bruce Wayne’s parents get shot by someone else as a kid, Arthur is in a police car when it gets rammed into by another car, killing both officers in it. Arthur is presumed dead but when he gets pulled out by some fellow rioters we find he is still alive. Afterwards he gets taken to a mental asylum and explains he has no regrets of anything he did. Smoking and drinking: 3.5/5. Most times when the joker is seen he is smoking a cigarette. At another point he also gets attacked by some drunk men. Overall: I felt this film was very disturbing and thoughtful, however I get it is meant to show the theme of poor mental health. I think only older teens who can handle very violent films should watch this, it had pretty much no plot whatsoever and is just violence.

1 person found this helpful.

Pretty good

Pretty good less blood then I thought there would be some swearing and brief nudity
Great movie with great characters and a great dramatic story. This film contains extremely disturbing scenes for children and even teenagers. There is a lot of blood and pools of blood when there are murders carried out by the joker. The film deals with psychological illnesses and very sensitive and mature themes. In terms of nudity, there are 2 scenes, one in which nudity is seen briefly in a magazine and another in a bathtub. There is a strong but moderate language. On the issue of cigarettes, there are many scenes with smoking and some with alcoholic beverages. In general I think this movie can be too heavy for under 17s.

Not a kids movie

Along with being very violent at points the themes and overall plot of this movie is not for kids. It is nothing like any other Batman or DC films.

worth watching

not your normal DC/Superhero genre movie. This is about a villains backstory and how he becomes one.

What Parents need to know about The Joker

This movie is my favorite DC movie of all time! For parents the movie contains extreme graphic killings with blood splatters, Stabbing, Guns, Plenty of f*** bombs and other cursing, Jokers mom bathing in a tub and Joker smokes frequently. Joker is rated R for strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images. If your kids want to see Joker tell them they probably won't like it because theirs no Batman and it's not a hero vs villain movie. Joker became the biggest R rated film of all time. Todd Philips had to cut a scene that was too disturbing for an R rating and Todd Philips spent a year trying to convince warner bros to do Joker R rated. Just like the UK rating for Joker I recommend the movie for ages 15+. The movie is currently streaming on HBO Max, available to buy or rent and the movie will be live on August 20 2022 on TNT at 10:00 PM.

Le film est très déprimant, vulgaire et violent, une personne se fait poignarder, tabasser, tirer une balle dans la tête, sanglant et la mère se fait étouffer. Les personnages ne se respecte pas et ne prennent pas soin des autres. Le personnage de Joaquin Phoenix sombre dans la folie et tout le monde s'en fou.

What a great(sad) film

I love this film mabye one of dc's best films. Its very sad, violent and intense. I would recommend this to everyone!!!

Great DC movie

Honestly found this movie really violent, but it's a good movie.