All parent member reviews for Joyful Noise

Parent Written byswaterfield February 3, 2012

Cute, uplifting movie

Overall an uplifting movie. My only big complaint was the sexual innuendos and relationships were more than I expected. The role models and message presented were great.
Adult Written bysnowangel00 February 12, 2012

good movie

Good movie over all but there is a LOT of language in it.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byafenrick January 13, 2012

PG-13 rating meant R-rated previews

I took three 9 year old girls to see this movie tonight. The language was a bit course and some of the sexual innuendo was inappropriate but overall they all enjoyed it and I didn't think it was too much for them. However, the previews shown at the theater were exceedingly inappropriate including hot steamy sex scenes and extreme violence. The previews were so bad that I considered leaving before Joyful Noise even started. I can only conclude that the previews were deemed "acceptable" because the were attached to a PG-13 movie. Parents be warned: get to the theater a bit late.
Parent Written byCDavison January 30, 2012

Although there were some positive scenes, there were a lot of rauncy scenes as well. The implied message was that sex before marriage is fine and showed a scene the next morning of two people from the choir who slept together and the man is dead the next morning. There was also bad language throughout the movie. It seemed like Hollywood's version of a Christian movie. I would suggest watching a movie like Courageous, now that has good Christian message!
Parent Written byjagiann1005 January 15, 2012

You will enjoy it

I thought movie was good and my daughter who is 12 yrs old enjoyed it as well. Had just a few instances of foul language, but nothing she has not heard before. It reminds you of the movie Sister Act very much.
Parent Written bydorakay January 22, 2012

Loud musical disrespectful movie

Not at all what I expected. No need for sex and bad language but it is there anyway. Choir members having sex is disgusting.
Parent Written byfirstavenger11 February 13, 2012

Joyful noise

Parent Written byBE Smith January 22, 2012

Awesome...true to REAL LIFE!

In all aspects, I think Joyful Noise is about as true to real life as it gets. This is the message we need to give to our kids. Life is real -- stuff happens -- good and bad. Just because folks are in church and saved by our Lord does not mean they are no longer human and above making mistakes. This movie is awesome in the fact that it portrays those that are saved and on track in their spiritual walk with the Lord are capable of making the wrong choices. BUT, these same folks can ask for forgiveness, put aside their differences, and function in harmony to achieve goals. Absolutely wonderful!
Adult Written byrowansmom January 20, 2012

hamhanded movie with an identity crisis

Not sure where to start with this one. Went with a friend and our two seven-year-old daughters, who had both seen the trailer and were dying to see it. My daughter and her friend love singing, and with Queen Latifah and Dolly, I thought it would be cute with lots of songs & jokes. However -- completely aside from the subpar acting, dialog, plot progression, continuity and camera work -- this film had no idea what audience it was going for. Or maybe it was swinging for all of them? If it was aiming for funny camp with moments of "she said/did WHAT?" a la a tame version of Bridesmaids, then the viewer would likely not appreciate being bludgeoned over the head with constant Christian messages and folksy life lessons. The serious Christian would love the messages and songs, but be appalled at some language and inappropriate dialog/actions (that would go over the head of the average youngster, but made us look at each other and say, "Really??! Eewww") ex. Queen Latifah and Dolly see the main teen girl (Latifah's daughter) making eyes at the main teen (annoying Dolly's grandson) boy, and Latifah says, out of nowhere, "That's a look that stays in your stomach for nine months!" or something close to that. THESE KIDS ARE 16 - and the girl is a devout Christian who isn't even allowed to date, mind you. Family movie? It's got the cloying plot and the cliche characters that young kids can get a handle on, yet too weirdly raunchy. Then it will suddenly swing back to the God Can Save Anyone messages that occur every three minutes (as in, poignant shadow-strewn solo of Latifah, alone at the church piano, singing "God fix me... God fix me... God fix me...." I don't believe there were any other lyrics in that song and it went on FOR. EV. ER. On the opposite end, a running gag in the movie is about a geeky female choir member who hasn't gotten laid in four years. She wham-bam sleeps with a geeky male choir member, who you learn hasn't slept with anyone in three years. She tries to serve him breakfast in bed afterward only to find him dead -- and all she's worried about is she'll never get laid in her small town again because -- as she tells the minister (!!) - her rep is now "tap that and you're dead." The musical numbers are pretty good, and my daughter really enjoyed those, but she covered her eyes and squealed whenever kissing/sex scenes appeared. If she was any older, we would have had some serious 'splainin' to do about many jokes and gags. It was like two separate movies bizarrely mashed together, to the discomfort of all. Do not bother.
Parent Written byspulling January 20, 2012

Great for MS and HS kids who love Christian Music

I took 4 Middle School girls from a Christian school to this movie. They are now wild about the music and want it on their ipods. The very best part of this movie is that people of all races mingle freely and nothing is even said about it. Through adoption our family is bi-racial, so a movie like this gets rave reviews from us.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBeachDayMama January 19, 2012

Joyful Music, Unnecessary profanity

The music is fantastic. The two leads have parallel storylines of love and loss. A positive is love is color blind between several of the couples in the story. This would have been a much better movie on the ears without the numerous curse words that made me cringe. There's also a dramatic scene where the mom slaps the daughter in the face. Ouch! Cringe! The morning after scene and the running gag about it weren't necessary as well and did not fit in with a Christian choir. The soundtrack would be nice to have, but I won't rent this when it comes out for my tween to view again.
Adult Written bynew man January 18, 2012

was good

i saw this move this weekend and it was great but would just like to remind parents that this is rated pg13 and is not sutible for smaller kids please think of this before you pick this movie for your family movie night
Parent Written bymissy1234 January 17, 2012

Not for under 13

We saw this movie yesterday with a group of just and almost 13 year olds and while we thought the movie was good and had a good message, there was a lot of sexual moments that just didn't need to be. After the man dies after they had sex, the women was worried that she would be referred to as the "women who was tapped then men die"... she really said "tapped", couldn't believe it. Then she also said that maybe God was punishing her for having sex out of marriage (why he died)... just so inappropriate as we thought we were going to see a Christian movie with Gospel music. Sex outside of marriage just didn't belong in this movie. I did read Common Sensed reviews before we went but didn't take into consideration how "in your face" sex would be! The overall message is a good one and the music is great. I would really be careful taking anyone under age 13.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez January 16, 2012

12 and up.

Joyful Noise is a awesome comedy movie stars with queen latifah and parents the only thing you need to worry in this movie the mild language in this film overall there is a positive message in this movie it's about faith and spirituality and there are good role model characters in this film.
Parent Written bydiane135130 January 13, 2012

Great Great Great Movie!!!

This is an awesome movie....great for all ages! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Parent Written bymissamarie289 January 13, 2012

Love that is still present during and after those conflicts....

My family thought the movie was great! There were more curse words used than I expected but it didn't take away from the message overall. I enjoyed our teens seeing the natural conflicts that can arise with parents and the love that is still present during and after those conflicts.