All parent member reviews for Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bylcmaxwell June 11, 2011

Fun and entertaining movie

Saw it with my 7yr old daugher who likes the judy moody books and we both laughed multiple times! We've brought up lines from the movie several times since we saw it. It was really fun.
Parent Written bykbw624 June 17, 2011

NOT Bummer Summer Movie for 6-10yo's!

Given the target audience of the movie, I thought it was just right. I as an adult was simply bored and thought it stupid at times--but I'm not the target audience. My 8yo daughter and her same-aged friend loved it. While not educational by normal standards, I believe it gives kids ideas about how THEY can make their possibly boring summer fun and "thrilling". I think teaching kids how to entertain themselves and being creative in this way sends a positive message. Products are definitely noticeable throughout the movie, but it's not awful--and they're every day items.
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

This is a boring waste of time

Adult Written byMamamoonbeam October 21, 2013

Kudos for a messy Judy!

This movie is not a cinematic triumph but it is one of the better films for kids in this age group. We liked that the boys and girls were genuinely friends - not love interests - and that Judy dresses like a real girl her age - sloppy and like she is wearing what she left on the floor the night before (because life is too interesting to worry about having a coordinating outfit). Her hair is never "done" and the one scene with nail polish is not about looking pretty. So much of what is out there for this age group focuses on puppy love and having a "look" and it was refreshing to have other things to focus on.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byccbdmk August 24, 2013

Good for Books Fans to Compare and Enjoy

The Judy Moody fans in our house - ages 5 and 7 - loved this movie - a real treat for them after reading the books. They already had a solid sense of the characters, had been to author readings, etc - so this was just icing on their Judy Moody cake. I don't think it was the movie alone that made it so enjoyable - it was the culmination of being fans. They liked it in spite of any deviations or shortcomings compared to the books themselves. Always interesting for kids to read books then see movies to compare - and this applies to that. And it is so hard to find movies that suit kids who feel overwhelmed by intense emotional plot lines - so this was one they could get through with only a bit of tension. I wish there were sequels for them.
Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byonerowan February 9, 2013

Not a bummer

Fluffy but fun summer movie with a sweet message at the end. I think this movie can start a good conversation with your kids about friendship and may even inspire you to have a "thrilladelic" summer!
Parent Written byFather Dave November 28, 2012

Stop being so Moody with your critiques!

My kids have seen his movie probably 30 times. Given, it is extremely corny, unrealistic, a bit crude at times, and ridiculous. That said, the bright colors and fast pace keep them interested. As long as you aren't a completely boring and overbearing parent, and your kids are smart enough to understand it is a bad idea to jump in a van with strangers and crash cars through lawns sprinkled with children's toys, you and your children will probably have fun with this flick. Expect nothing and enjoy what you get. This movie becomes an addictive winner if you are light of heart and possess a somewhat inane sense of humor. Disclaimer... None of my family read the book. However, if you are looking for seamless continuity between book and film, have you ever found this? This film may prove a bit further off the mark than other book to film interpretations, but who cares? It is entertainment.
Parent of a 6 and 12 year old Written bygreat reviews April 22, 2012

Beware of the zombies...

It's surprising that no one has mentioned the zombies in this movie. For about 5 minutes, Judy & Frank are watching a horror movie filled with violent screams and actions such as zombies ripping eyes out. Along with that, this is a horrible movie and really not worth it for my 6 year old brother or myself.
Adult Written bykeeyanoosh March 14, 2012

judy moody and the NOT bummer summer

this movie is soooooooooooo boring if you tell me to watch it right now i will run away from you.when i saw the trailer i thought it wasawesome but when i saw the movie i did not like it.it looks like it came in the 1990's
Parent of a 4 year old Written byTanneGuatMama February 17, 2012

Okay for the genre...

This movie is okay... the characters, sets, etc are a bit cartoonish. If you're looking for something of this genre & for the 3rd grade crowd watch "Ramona & Beezus" instead. Reminds me of a Dr Seuss with real people. Also, the potty language isn't something I want my kids picking up at their ages.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

JUDY MOODY MOVIE 1

BOOK SERIES 1 MOVIE TURNES OUT ON A GOOD START.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymacauleys August 13, 2011

Negative Input

The scary movie scene was a bit much for my 4 yo. And the notion of Big Foot was probably a bit much for the 4 yo and I had to tell her that it's not real, there are really big animals an such. The aunt makes being messy and careless look fun. The little brother has an unsupervised relationship with an older friend. There is a wild/reckless bike ride that was quite foolish. Sorry to focus on the negative.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygoldn80s July 7, 2011

My opinion and There Are Some "Monkey See, Monkey Do" stunts

For 3rd graders just like Judy Moody. The message tells me not to rely on having your best friends around to enjoy the summer, find people close and plans you can have. It doesn't have to be spontaneous things like being in a circus or making yourself famous by catching bigfoot. Aunt Opal was creative with her art works and she participated in the kids activities, she seemed free spirited and showed that she can listen and understood her niece and nephew. Kids attract to ice cream trucks because of the music and there are cartoon related ice cream and popsicles. Kids by seeing Judy having her own laptop they will want their own too. The magic ball used to really make me believe it actually predicts the future when i had one at that age. There are name calling between kids. The aunt used poop word as "crap". It's okay for a child that isn't a "monkey see, monkey do" kid. Because walking on rope was something i tried to copy once when I was little.
Adult Written byJ&A's Mom June 22, 2011

Don't bother

This movie was awfully boring. The acting was really flat, the storyline weak, and the laugh factor missing completely. My 7 year old daughter gave it a 4 (out of 10). The whole movie was phoned in.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byTuesdayBear June 21, 2011

Fair for the target audience

I saw this with two 8 year old girls. They said later that they enjoyed it, but I didn't hear them laughing out loud during the movie. It was cute, and had its moments. I would say, go see it if your daughter really wants to. If she's just mildly interested, wait until you can rent it.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byjwsw June 17, 2011

Appropriate for most ages

I was releived to take my kids, 9 and 6, to a movie with no swearing, violence or adult humor.The kids liked it, although I would not consider it to be educational, just fun.
Adult Written byAio June 16, 2011

parent of 11 y.o.

Not worth to watch, though kids age 7yo may like it. my daughter 11 y.o. thought it was stupid and I agreed. Actress who played Judy was bad, very artificial, I understand she is a kid, not professional but still they could find better some kids are great actors. other actors performed much better. was not funny at all, teaching no values, some moments suppposed to be funny but looked naive and raw along the movie line, not well made movie at all
Adult Written bytracyfawn June 13, 2011

cute for 6-10 yr olds boys and girls

great movie for young school age thru early tween... cute with a nice friendship theme, enough "gross stuff' for boys, not very girly girly. Not a whole lot for adults, but at 90 minutes, more than tolerable.