Parent reviews for Jumanji: The Next Level

Charming sequel offers generational humor but can get dark.

Wondering if Jumanji: The Next Level is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byMeme68 December 15, 2019

Terrible language! Parents be aware.

Very disappointed that this movie aimed at children/families has so much terrible language. Parents, be aware that your child will hear "G-D" at least a dozen times in this film. In addition to references to body parts you may not want to gave to discuss after a fun night out. Both of these are totally unnecessary and ruin what could have been a great family film. ☹

Adult Written byHHam December 14, 2019

Very disappointing and not family frienldy. They added more junk and less humor.

This was a disappointing sequel and was not family friendly. Although the first Jumanji movie had a few parts that were questionable for younger audiences, it had enough "meat" and humor for all to make up for it. Jumanji: The Next Level was not nearly as humorous or entertaining and added quite a bit more "adult humor" than most families would probably consider acceptable. It had a significant amount more of cursing and used GD multiple times. It also had numerous references to body parts. The added adult humor was not necessary, added nothing to the movie, and was not even humorous. I definitely would not label this a family friendly movie and wish I had read about it before I took my children to watch it. Thankfully, most of the inappropriate parts went over my children's heads, but it was disappointing nonetheless.

Adult Written byRisici December 15, 2019

Can I no longer trust Common Sense Media's reviews?? They rate this at age 11 ??? Does anyone know where else I can get good, honest reviews from a site (not just a parent or child who may decide to rate)? More and more I find myself unable to trust this site's ratings :(

Adult Written byCrystalC. December 22, 2019

Foul mouthed

Loved the original cast and the story idea behind this sequel but with the addition of Danny Davito and Danny Glover joining the cast, it really drug the movie down on several levels. There are some comical moments, but Davito and Glover's insistence on their foul mouthed, offensive references, especially to using Jesus Christ and God in a defamatory way on multiple occasions, really causes the movie to in no way be family friendly. Heartbreaking. Had such high expectations since I loved the original so much and could hardly wait for this to come out. This crude version is a flop, and a waste of time and money. So disappointed !
Adult Written byGoldenTiger December 15, 2019

Should be R for bad language

Very disappointed with all the bad language. Using GD more than once was awful. It was said at least 8 times. Bad words was expected but not GD.

Adult Written byHope1 December 20, 2019

Lots of Foul language Short on laughs

Very disappointed with how many times they curse in this movie. They say God D no less than 6 times, along with other curse words I don’t want my kids repeating.
The first one had much less bad language and was funnier by far.

Adult Written byConcerne December 14, 2019

To much using GODS name in vain. We had to get up and leave. We lost our money. It's the same old story. Just like the others.

Adult Written byRosanneV December 23, 2019

Disrespectful!

I took my Godchild to see this movie. It was like a punch to the gut when God’s name was used in vain over and over. Today foul language and sexual innuendos are no surprise, but they have taken it to the next level. How sad to have God offended this way, at Christmas time nonetheless! No fear of God and disrespect for every religious person! I was offended and it overshadowed any positive reaction I had to this movie.

Adult Written byRockwell Stone December 19, 2019

What ruined it for me

What ruined it for me
What would have been a very entertaining experience was overshadowed by the use of offensive language. I loved the other Jumanji shows and was looking forward to a great movie. While the bad language was apparently used to emphasize the characters’ fear or even personalities, it wasn’t necessary or endearing. I did not
recommend it for my family. Poorly done, directors. Clever word choices would have better served the intended audience.

Adult Written byRebecca S. January 13, 2020

Ignore the Pearl Clutchers --- It's a Decent Movie

I loved the first movie and was hoping this was going to be as good. Unfortunately, it was not. It still has some very funny moments, but it's definitely not as funny or as good as the first movie. The eunuch scene was hysterical, though -- the whole theater was laughing like crazy during that scene. It's a decent and entertaining family movie for older kids. There is some swearing, but I didn't find it excessive. THAT'S WHY IT'S RATED PG-13! I did get a good chuckle over the number of reviewers clutching their pearls over the use of "God Damn". I honestly wouldn't have noticed it if is so many reviewers hadn't acted like it was the end of the World. It was appropriate to the context and minor -- and face reality -- most people don't care if someone says, "God Damn." It's kind of silly to expect a major motion picture to conform to your fringe religious views anyway. It also amazes me that you have people bringing 3 and 4 year olds to PG-13 movies and acting all shocked that it's geared more towards teenagers.

Parent of a 3, 8, 8, and 11-year-old Written bymichaelf December 14, 2019

Not family-friendly -- 50-plus curse words and testicle/boob jokes

I realize families have different definitions of "family-friendly," but I suspect The Next Level falls far short of that phrase for most parents in the U.S. -- and that's why it's rated PG-13. It has more than 50 curse words (include 7-8 GDs), a lengthy joke about "testicles" and "balls," and a joke about "boobs." That's the worst part, although there are two passionate kisses (sort of played for laughs) and a few scary parts, too.

It leads to the question: What is the target audience? Based on the plot and "feel" of the film, I'm guessing the studio is aiming this one at families with young children/teens. If so, they're clueless. I'm hoping that for the next film (the film's ending teases a third movie), they tone stuff down.

It's disappointing they added the adult content, because the film has GREAT messages (don't try to be someone else; learn to forgive, etc.).

Unless you want your kids making jokes about balls and boobs for the next month -- and you're comfortable with tons of language -- you might want to skip this one.

Adult Written byDawnPi December 30, 2019

Not Family Friendly & Waste Of Money

I wish I had read the reviews Prior to going to this movie. I can put up with a bad movie but the language was very disappointing. We brought our two grandsons with high hopes of enjoying this movie, but we were all very disappointed! Do to the language we left shortly into the movie. With tickets and popcorn we spent almost 70 dollars. What a waste.

Adult Written byNot Amused At All December 13, 2019

So offensive if you are a Christian

Not at all a family movie.. if you are a Christian family. Listening to various characters saying the Lord's name in vain about 9 times in the 2 hour movie during the most holy time of the year was most offensive to me. PG13 used to mean an occasional damn or sh*t, but today it's a free for all to dishonor our Lord. Very sad at the total disrespect for Christian movie goers. I hate that my family spent money on that garbage. Christians need to stand together and boycott movies that disrespect our beliefs. I bet the movie industry would NEVER say anything disrespectful about the Muslin or Hindu religion. Shame on them.

Adult Written byJumanji2 December 13, 2019

18+

they used god's name in vain and must be banned

Adult Written byDitzyedie December 29, 2019

So sad

The first shows were awesome but this one takes the Lord’s name in vain.. so sad! My Teenage daughter and her friend walked out after the first 15 min

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byGerald Z. December 16, 2019

This is a poorly done and non-innovative sequel. Frist one was SO MUCH better.

Don't waste your money. Its just a cheap rehash and a real come down from the prior one with the same actors.

Cheap money making attempt without the necessary work and careful scripting. Much of it is totally nonsensical.

Adult Written byTSBT December 16, 2019

Disappointing. Should have ended it with the first one.

I thought last years Jumanji was much better. This one also has more swear words than the first one did. Very disappointing and I’m not sure how this was given a PG 13 rating. Definitely not a family movie.

Adult Written byTroelbs January 5, 2020

Very Disappointed

It was nothing like the first one. Alot of language, using God's name in vain not once but numerous times. Alot of other remarks that are not suitable. IT IS NOT A FAMILY FRIENDLY MOVIE AT ALL!!! If I could I would give it a 0. Very, Very Disappointed. Why people want to ruin a movie with so much foul language and other remarks I dont understand. There are alot better movies out there than this one save your money! Take your kids out to eat instead of going to see garbage like this!

Adult Written byLucaseli December 13, 2019
Adult Written byIronJustin December 13, 2019

Jumanji The Next Level

Jumanji The Next Level is really funny movie this is not dark movie the voice with the Rock is Danny Divito and Kevin Hart is the voice of Danny glover this is really funny movie for kids