Parent reviews for Jurassic Park

Terrifyingly realistic dinos run amok in sci-fi landmark.

Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written bycab87670 November 27, 2010
A great time for kids of all ages.

Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc September 30, 2009
Just rewatched this "classic" with my teen. My 13 year old heard about this movie and asked to see it. After previewing it, I let her watch it. Concerns? Not many. One "S" bomb when Steve Gutenburg sees an actual pile of dino dung... meant for comic effect. There are some very dangerous and tense situations. Kids in the movie are in constant peril. There are a couple of scenes to be aware of - a man in the beginning of the movie is eaten by a dinosaur in a violent fashion, as is the lawyer eaten off the commode mid-movie (classic scene I'm sure you remember). The latter is violently tossed around before being consumed. Two other adults are killed - presumably - since the movie doesn't show their demise. There is one bloody arm of Samuel L Jackson displayed, but overall there's not much blood at all. Overall, the velociraptors chasing the kids around probably bothered my teen the most. She still talks about how scary it was today, even though they didn't actually catch the kids. Overall, this was a good movie to introduce my 13 year old into "Thrillers" without too much adult content. I'll have to review the sequels to see if they are equally as appropriate.

Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good for anyone 10 and up.

This movie is a work of art, and nothing less. It is a good thriller-type movie, that is surprisingly family-friendly. Violence wise, it's quite tame. There is almost no blood. In one scene, a man is eaten by a T-Rex, but he is swallowed in one bite, and there is no blood. Perhaps the bloodiest scene of the movie is one part where a female character feels a hand on her shoulder, then turns around and realizes it isn't attached to anyone, apparently ripped off by dinosaurs. There is a small amount of blood on the severed arm. As for language, it's typical mild PG words, like h***, d***, and in one case, s***. There is no sexual content whatsoever. All in all, if you have a kid that loves dinosaurs, or just want a good non-gory monster-thriller flick, they don't come better than Jurassic Park. Although you may want to turn down the volume during the dinosaur chase scenes, as this is when cursing usually occurs.

Adult Written byPhilbo April 19, 2013

3 years old and loved it 1995

I turned out good and I watched this when I was like 3-4 years old, so if your 5 or older I think you should be mature enough to take it. But I'm a boy.
Adult Written byCSM Temporary U... April 23, 2014

Enthralled little boy.

My son is almost 6, we sat down before the film and I told him if he was scared we could turn it off, he loved it, not a single moment was he scared and we talked through all the jumpy bits afterwards.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 21, 2012

Even more boring than Jaws.

This movie is HORRIBLY boring.Its only good for helping you get to sleep.
Adult Written bykjs213 May 19, 2011

Where's the flag about smoking?

I like this movie. I still wouldn't allow younger children to watch it though as it can be rather violent. My main concern though is that CSM didn't flag the chain smoking one of the main characters engages in while under stress. Not a good example if your child is highly impressionable.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bytailsmo June 27, 2009

Great fun movie, but be warned of lingering gratuitious cigarette smoking close ups

Even though smoking was more common place in 1992/3 I was shocked to see that every time we see nervous scientist Samuel L Jackson, he is either lighting a cigarette or already has one dangling from his lips. Worst of all is a totally unnesessary lingering extreme close up of a cigarette slow burning, hanging from Samuel Jackson's mouth while he stares at a computer screen for what seems like 20 seconds. I simply can't understand why a film that was billed at the time as a family movie and given a PG certificate has a chain-smoking character.

Adult Written byShivom Oza April 2, 2013

Jurassic Park (3D) Review by Shivom Oza – Timeless!

‘Jurassic Park’, directed by Steven Spielberg, grossed over $900 million worldwide when it released in the year 1993. It became the highest-grossing film of all time, until it was surpassed four years later by ‘Titanic’. 20 years later, the film is back albeit in 3D. You may have heard of the adage, ‘Form is temporary, class is permanent’. Films, which use computer-generated imagery (CGI) extensively, come out in dozens and scores in this day and age. Most of them rely purely on technology and often neglect the ‘writing’. ‘Jurassic Park 3D’ even after 20 years looks as stunning as ever. Moreover, the well-etched characters and the immaculate screenplay only add to this picture-perfect ‘nostalgia’ trip. John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), a billionaire entrepreneur, has built Jurassic Park, a theme park on a tropical island near Costa Rica, populated with cloned dinosaurs. Hammond invites ‘experts’, palaeontologist Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) and botanist Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) to certify whether the park is safe. Attorney Donald Genarro (Martin Ferrero), who represents Hammond’s investors, invites mathematician Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), on his part, to recce the site. The three experts along with the lawyer and Hammond’s two grandchildren embark upon their tour of this exquisite, yet eerie, theme park. One of the employees at the park attempts to steal dinosaur embryos in return for a huge sum of money. In the process, he shuts down all the electricity in the park. This mishap, which allows with the menacing, and thankfully extinct, beasts to venture out of their cages, spells BIG trouble! Jurassic Park won the Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects. It was hailed by viewers and critics as a path-breaking film, in terms of using technology. 20 years later, it still strikes you with its delightful imagery. Certain clichés mostly associated with the 90s will definitely make you reminisce about the good, old (sans internet, mobile phone) days. The film, with/without 3D, remains a must-watch! ‘Jurassic Park 3D’ is way better than most action/sci-fi/fantasy fare that is dished out these days. Some of the scenes, notably 'Raptors in the Kitchen', 'Nerdy's Plans Go Awry', 'Tyrannosaurus Rex', 'They're Flocking This Way' and 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth', post 3D, remain as spine-chilling as ever! For those who were lucky enough to catch the film on the big screen way back in 93/94, why not do an encore! And for those who’ve only experience this legendary film on their television sets, don’t miss this opportunity! Shivom Oza

Adult Written bypaigek1 October 10, 2015

Depends on your kids personality

My 4yr. old loves dinosaurs but remembering the severed arm and the intro scene made me hesitant to let my girl watch. I remembered that two small children were main characters and I knew that she would get a kick out of kids being independent and head strong. We skipped the intro and arm scene My daughter loved the movie. She even yelled out "good job!" when the kids successfully escaped the raptors.

Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bybrettyd December 30, 2012

if you child knows about dinos,, then go for it

a classic! great movie with outstanding special effects even to todays standards, ok, a theme park , a dinosaur themepark, it all goes wrong, the dinos escape, there are a few people there on the island that the park is on and they must survive, a few epic chase scenes, a bit of nail biting terror as you wonder will they get eaten by a dino, a great story, a bit too much smoking from 1 actor, a bit of violence but nothing much, if your child knows that a cat eats mice because that is nature they will understand a dino eating a goat? the best thing about this film is that it should not play on childrens minds at bedtime, as they know dinos dont exist, so they dont pose a threat to them, my boy saw this at 5 and we had no trouble with it at all

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Scary, gory dino thriller is for teens and up

This film is definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it already. It may not be your new favorite movie, but it should entertain for a good two hours. Parents: There's lots of terror, violence, and gore, including dismemberment, plus some salty language. What I would have rated it: PG-13 for Sequences of Sci-Fi Terror, Violence and Gore. Bottom Line: Very entertaining for what it is. I recommend it! It's a classic! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Adult Written byMrsVance11 June 4, 2012

Love it.

I first watched this movie when I was very young. It remains one of my favorites of all time. It's violent at times, intense, very little language, a chain smoker, and a brief shot of a woman in a bikini. It's a good way to introduce preteens to thrillers / scary movies.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byCTbrowncoat July 23, 2012

More exciting than terrifying

A few intense scenes, but this dino classic is more exciting than terrifying.

Adult Written byDan G. April 9, 2013

A really good movie, but too scary for most pre-teens

If this was a cartoon movie, it would not be as frightening. But the dinosaurs have been made to look very real, very dangerous, very hungry, and they are trying to eat real children and adults. Exciting, but too much for pre-teens.

Adult Written byCupcakesRock February 16, 2016

Jurassic Park

The 2nd best movie in the series! This movie was epic, lots of sci-fi and action. It wasn't as violent as some people might say. I watched this before letting my kids watch it because I was afraid that they would be terrified, but all of them could handle it! I would recommend this movie for ages 10+ for violence and language.

Adult Written byvalentinD August 23, 2016

jurassic park the best dinosaurs film !!

the more fantastic dinosaur film by Steven Spielberg. a mny violence or creepy attacks surpris by the raptors. but it's good for the kids.

Adult Written byMeerkat.dog.yo May 15, 2015

super movie, slow start

This film has some scary parts, including a severed arm, a creepy scene in which a tyrannosaurus almost kills a couple of children, and, of course, many people are eaten by the dinosaurs. And, there is plenty of swearing. "S--t", "damn", "hell", "crap", and "son of a bitch." That said, it's a good movie but it does have a very slow start. But I would still watch it again. And again.

Adult Written byoscar11111 January 25, 2016

The best movie I've ever seen!

The best movie ever! Thrills, awesome visuals, great actors and direction make this the perfect film!!

Parent of a 5, 10, and 16 year old Written bySmartViewer January 23, 2009

Dated, but very realistic.

Many, many, many young kids love dinosaurs. They will wear dino PJs, and play with dinosaur action figures, and they will definitely want to see a dinosaur movie. This is tough to do. When your kid gets too old for a animated dinosaur movie like "The Land Before Time" they will ask about this movie. This movie is very violent and a small amount of blood, but it is a thrill ride. When it first came out, the theatre came to life. Even in your home, the dinosaurs will give the creeps. Let your kids live it up, but if it's too scary, wait until they are older. This movie can send a shiver down your spine. I would rate this movie: PG-13.