All parent member reviews for Jurassic Park

Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written bycab87670 November 27, 2010

A great time for kids of all ages.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc September 30, 2009

Just rewatched this "classic" with my teen. My 13 year old heard about this movie and asked to see it. After previewing it, I let her watch it. Concerns? Not many. One "S" bomb when Steve Gutenburg sees an actual pile of dino dung... meant for comic effect. There are some very dangerous and tense situations. Kids in the movie are in constant peril. There are a couple of scenes to be aware of - a man in the beginning of the movie is eaten by a dinosaur in a violent fashion, as is the lawyer eaten off the commode mid-movie (classic scene I'm sure you remember). The latter is violently tossed around before being consumed. Two other adults are killed - presumably - since the movie doesn't show their demise. There is one bloody arm of Samuel L Jackson displayed, but overall there's not much blood at all. Overall, the velociraptors chasing the kids around probably bothered my teen the most. She still talks about how scary it was today, even though they didn't actually catch the kids. Overall, this was a good movie to introduce my 13 year old into "Thrillers" without too much adult content. I'll have to review the sequels to see if they are equally as appropriate.
Adult Written bykjs213 May 19, 2011

Where's the flag about smoking?

I like this movie. I still wouldn't allow younger children to watch it though as it can be rather violent. My main concern though is that CSM didn't flag the chain smoking one of the main characters engages in while under stress. Not a good example if your child is highly impressionable.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Scary, gory dino thriller is for teens and up

This film is definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it already. It may not be your new favorite movie, but it should entertain for a good two hours. Parents: There's lots of terror, violence, and gore, including dismemberment, plus some salty language. What I would have rated it: PG-13 for Sequences of Sci-Fi Terror, Violence and Gore. Bottom Line: Very entertaining for what it is. I recommend it! It's a classic! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008

A Grusesome Great Instant Classic

This movie is really great but it's violent. It includes 5 deaths by dinosaurs and a disembodied arm.
Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good for anyone 10 and up.

This movie is a work of art, and nothing less. It is a good thriller-type movie, that is surprisingly family-friendly. Violence wise, it's quite tame. There is almost no blood. In one scene, a man is eaten by a T-Rex, but he is swallowed in one bite, and there is no blood. Perhaps the bloodiest scene of the movie is one part where a female character feels a hand on her shoulder, then turns around and realizes it isn't attached to anyone, apparently ripped off by dinosaurs. There is a small amount of blood on the severed arm. As for language, it's typical mild PG words, like h***, d***, and in one case, s***. There is no sexual content whatsoever. All in all, if you have a kid that loves dinosaurs, or just want a good non-gory monster-thriller flick, they don't come better than Jurassic Park. Although you may want to turn down the volume during the dinosaur chase scenes, as this is when cursing usually occurs.
Adult Written byAlphaZK93 May 10, 2011

An amazing take on sci-fi and the elements of Frankenstein

I first saw this when I was 3 years old, soon after I saw "The Land Before Time". Okay, so when I was 3 I had no concept of fear. I just thought dinosaurs were friggen awesome. However, after watching this at age 18, I was like "woah! I actually watched this before I even started kindergarten???" The movie is amazing, and you do actually learn about dinosaurs and DNA and a bunch of other things that will fly over kid's heads. But every child who loves dinosaurs should see this. ------------------------------PRAISES------------------------------- I really liked how all-appealing this movie is. When I was young, i just liked seeing dinosaurs run rampant and roar and beat each other up. Now that I'm an adult, I actually was able to pick up on a TON, and i do mean A TON of deep, though-provoking messages. The last time I saw this movie, not counting the fact I just saw it again 15 minutes ago, I was only 10 years old. Even at that age, I didn't see any of the subliminal messages. Children will be thoroughly entertained by the mere idea of resurrected dinosaurs, while teens and adults will be asking themselves, in light of the growing technology, "Should we even attempt this?". ---------------------------------CONCERNS----------------------- This movie IS violent. Their is only two parts where you actually "see" something. 1. you see a goat leg fly onto a car 2. you see the arm of a man fall onto a woman (the rest of the man was eaten). That is it. As for other violent moments, you see people getting dragged into cages by raptors, grabbed over the head and eaten during a famous toilet scene (what a way to go, eh?), jumped on by a raptor (but leaves obscure the violence very well), a man attacked by a small dino in a car (pretty disturbing, actually, though the fogged windows obscure it all), and not to mention many other perilous moments where younger audiences WILL be frightened (even I was a little jumpy during this). This movie could have EASILY been R for violence alone (sex and swearing would have ruined the movie anyways), but I am grateful Stevie S. kept it to PG13. ---------------------------------CONCLUSION------------------------ Awesome movie. Watch it. I have not seen the other two, so exercise caution with those. I heard JPIII was a bloodbath, but I dunno. Anyways, I love the movie, it's awesome, and always will be. The CGI was super amazing for the time this was made, it really impressed me.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byANTI-PARANOIA August 26, 2012

love it

WHAT IS UP WITH SOME OF THESE PARANOID PEOPLE? oh no! a guy smokes a cigarette! its not like kids will start smoking because of it! and there is only 5 deaths, one goat leg, one chewed off arm and a pteranadon in a pear tree. ITS SUPPOSED TO GIVE YOU A LITTLE FRIGHT! MY KIDS WERE WATCHING IT AT AGE 5 ! a classic blockbuster [NOT A HORRER FILM so stop treating it like one] that shows what happens when science screws with nature. I loved it, my kids loved it, i say watch it. 5 stars
Parent of a 7, 18, and 20 year old Written byhtcblondie May 31, 2011

Really great to watch as a family! Not sure if it was the 8 year old or the 18 year old who liked it more!

My 8 year old has nightmares pretty conisistently and it was a tough decision to let him watch this. However, after his excitment learning about dinasours in class and watching all we can on the internet, I felt that he was ready to watch this movie with the family. He loved it and didn't have any issues! I did prep him a head of time, explaining I was thinking if he could watch this or not...that there were dinasours eating people, scaring situations etc....For a week before I let him know that I had decided he could watch it, I reiterated that dinasours aren't real anymore, that it can be fun to be scared during movies that portray someone's wild imagination and it is just that - a movie. For us, this was the right decision...he loved it and couldn't wait to watch the next - though I told him it would again be with the family again....and in daytime:)
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytailsmo June 27, 2009

Great fun movie, but be warned of lingering gratuitious cigarette smoking close ups

Even though smoking was more common place in 1992/3 I was shocked to see that every time we see nervous scientist Samuel L Jackson, he is either lighting a cigarette or already has one dangling from his lips. Worst of all is a totally unnesessary lingering extreme close up of a cigarette slow burning, hanging from Samuel Jackson's mouth while he stares at a computer screen for what seems like 20 seconds. I simply can't understand why a film that was billed at the time as a family movie and given a PG certificate has a chain-smoking character.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 16 year old Written bySmartViewer January 23, 2009

Dated, but very realistic.

Many, many, many young kids love dinosaurs. They will wear dino PJs, and play with dinosaur action figures, and they will definitely want to see a dinosaur movie. This is tough to do. When your kid gets too old for a animated dinosaur movie like "The Land Before Time" they will ask about this movie. This movie is very violent and a small amount of blood, but it is a thrill ride. When it first came out, the theatre came to life. Even in your home, the dinosaurs will give the creeps. Let your kids live it up, but if it's too scary, wait until they are older. This movie can send a shiver down your spine. I would rate this movie: PG-13.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

A GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Wonderful movie, just be cautious with sensitive kids.

I first saw this at age 10, and I remember being scared when the lawyer that hid in the bathroom got eaten by the t-rex. Nothing else bothered me, that's why I feel it's ok if 10 year olds watch it, as long as the parent is present. A few people smoke in the movie, so I don't know why the official review says it's not applicable. Great movie!!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw June 3, 2011

great dino flick

this is a great movie, it is not too violent, the only language that i heard was sh-t, hell, d-mn, and -ss but thats about it.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 13 year old Written byTBF June 11, 2009

teens are bad people

i loved it but kids shouldnt watch it
Parent Written byPlague December 10, 2009

Jurassic Park

A masterpiece of a movie. Great acting, effects, and dinos! A classic that'll go down in movie history for sure.
Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 3, 2009

Better for older kids

A scary and breifley gory classsic about dinosaurs.
Parent Written byJurassic Fever December 20, 2011

Welcome To Jurassic Park!!!!!!!

Great and amazing at the same time, Jurassic Park is a movie no kid (or adult) should pass up!!!!! There is lot of dino eating guy in a bathroom or dino eating a guy in a jeep but it makes kids feel like the dinosaurs are real and others like the team really put their life in on it. Jurassic Park is love note to the book with the same name, you know because it's based on the book. Anyways, this movie shall not be passed up!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byMrsVance11 June 4, 2012

Love it.

I first watched this movie when I was very young. It remains one of my favorites of all time. It's violent at times, intense, very little language, a chain smoker, and a brief shot of a woman in a bikini. It's a good way to introduce preteens to thrillers / scary movies.