Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Jurassic World

Reboot is fun but scarier, more violent than the original.

Adult Written byBan Moy June 11, 2015

Sequel is much more intense, much less entertaining than the original.

Jurassic World is a hugely anticipated sequel to Jurassic Park. Sadly, the flick is more violent and intense than the original, and it probably should have been rated R. I was expecting the film to be around the same level as the original. The violence is very high, and there is some swearing. Overall, Off for 11 and under, Pause for ages 12-14, On for ages 15+.

Written byAnonymous June 12, 2015

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybeth n. June 13, 2015

PG-13 rating is on target

Movie was ok and entertaining for 2 hours. Went fairly fast and I am one who gets bored easily with slower movies - I did not get bored. Not quite as good as the first one, but then sequels rarely live up to the standard set by the first blockbuster of a series. Parts are predictable, but that's what you are expecting when you go to a movie like this - dinosaurs on the loose snatching and eating people. My 14 yo was fine with it (and counted 21 people "eaten" in total). Many more were injured. My 12 yo son admitted to getting a bit scared, and was afraid he may have nightmares about it tonight when he went to sleep, so I advise caution if you have a child who can get scared easily. We had 3 other 12 & 13 yo's with us and they seemed mostly fine, so that's why I say 13 is about the right age to see it and be able to handle the violence. I would not take a 10 yr old. Why expose them to this level of violence if you don't have to - find a more appropriate movie. They will get plenty of it later when they are prepared for it.
Parent Written byAllisonD 1 July 12, 2015

Relax parents please....

Well I honestly think some parents are blowing it out of proportion this movie was less violent than Jurassic Park the original. Unlike in Jurassic Park it didn't have a severed arm on somebody's shoulder where you could see the blood. It was very PG. My son and i loved it. It was a lot like the original Jurassic Park with the less gore.

Adult Written byThe dinosaurfan June 11, 2015

The movie

I thought this movie had fun thrills and non-stop action. It is fine for kids 7 and up. Great film and okay as long as there is a parent watching with you.

Parent Written bynic_marie June 12, 2015

Fun and entertaining

I have 8- and 11-year old kids, and they had no problem with the violence. They knew what it was probably going to be like, from watching the original movie and all the new previews. We were very entertained and afterwards talked about our favorite dinosaurs and parts of the movie. A well-done movie in my opinion!
Adult Written byjustink2 June 14, 2015

Really horrible

So this movie was really bad, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time because it was so terrible. It takes the same premise as the first Jurassic Park, a theme park where something goes wrong, basically the same characters, still running from raptors..., and with a predictable plot, boring characters, wooden acting, horrible dialogue, and just all around awful plot holes, is only enjoyable because it's so bad.
Adult Written bydanielh1 June 14, 2015

Acting and CGI needed some work, but a good action flick.

Watched Jurassic world. It was a good Film. Perfect picture for most families. My only critique was the substandard acting and an overuse of CGI. I feel some of the film wasn't playing to the cast's abilities, and could have used some practical effects to bring us back to what made this franchise so successful. In the end what made this movie enjoyable was the story line, and the writer/ director's ability to play homage to the original Jurassic park. I give it 3 and a half stars. Not an award winner, but a fun film overall. I recommend it for ages 10 and up.

Adult Written byrharris001 June 18, 2015

I Don't Understand The Hype

What makes for a great and memorable movie is that one would want to see it again and again. I would not want to see this movie again. It was OK but not great! Not even good, but fair. It appears to me that the media outlets who hype and promote movies before they hit the box office stand to benefit and get a piece of the action. Many of the scenes were predicable and repetition of the previous Jurassic Park movies. I did not see what the hype is all about.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byrhondaa1 June 13, 2015

Ok movie. A bit scary

The plot is the same as the others. Dinosaurs out of control. Ingen just never learns its lesson. This movie is more focused on the people (very weak characters) with the dinosaurs thrown in. If you have a Dino lover, the movie is enjoyable enough. If you expect the plot to make sense, well, logic will get in the way.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byNicholock August 22, 2015

Great for the kid at heart and their children

I have been a long time fan of the Jurassic Park films. I went to the theater to see the first one with my parents and sister when I was about 8-9, and I was able to take my 8 year old to see this movie. We saw it twice, in 3-D, at the theater, and loved it each time. It has some "jump out at you" moments, loud roars/screams/dramatic music moments to increase the surprise, a few cuss words, and scenes where it was insinuated that someone was killed/eaten. I did cover his eyes about 2 times where is showed someone actually being "hurt" by a dinosaur, but I let him watch the dinosaur on dinosaur fighting action. My son was not scared at all during this movie. He adores dinosaurs, and the parts which were meant to be "scary" were his, and my, favorite parts! The ending has us whooping and laughing with joy, as did many other scenes throughout this movie. I say it is fine for 8+, but it all depends on your child as well. My niece, whom is 7, would have hated this movie. Use your best judgement, and be aware of what your child can handle.
Parent of a 13 and 13 year old Written byppicone June 19, 2015

A great continuation of the Jurassic Series....

This is NOT a movie for young children. I was overhearing conversations that adults were having with children who probably should not have been viewing the movie (especially on opening night). The conversations were about the death of the characters and the blood, etc. If you have a mature 11 or 12 year old who is not easily scared, then view it first, then decide. My 13 year old twin girls totally enjoyed it!
Adult Written byrobertg1 June 16, 2015

Captivating.

One thing must be clear; Jurassic World has been able to build on all the previous blockbuster movies from its series whilst at the same time capturing and continuing the same style and humor as the first Jurassic Park. The action scenes, which have been widely critisized in the JP III, where thrilling, live and long. Dedicated fans of the series will cry and laugh at the various easter eggs and connections made to the first film. I can only applaud the cast and the production team for this great and multi-layered final product.
Adult Written byCupcakesRock February 17, 2016

Why do parents think that this movie is super violent...

This movie is NOT as violent as the original. The original has a lot more blood, and is more frightening. This one has a few jump scenes, but the first had a decapitated arm landing on someone's shoulder, covered with blood! This movie was really good, and I would recommend for everyone ages 10+ to watch it.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byUCLA MOM June 20, 2015

Son ENJOYED the movie immensely! Hubby, not so much

While I didn't see the movie with my family, I did get an enthusiastic review from my son and a moderate review from my husband upon their return. Our 10 year old did not think it was scary and loved the digital effects. Hubby though it was predictable but entertaining from a visual aspect.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written bycyndifug8 June 14, 2015

Dinosaur Apocalypse

Movie starts a bit slow, but definitely picks up the pace about 15 or 20 minutes in. The 3D effects are pretty well done and there were plenty of suspenseful and scary moments. The back story was nowhere near as good as the original, and the movie was built on action sequences. It is very intense, and the violence was a bit much for me.

Adult Written byChristianreviewer77 June 15, 2018
I was very much enjoying the movie with my kids. When all of a sudden the main character says “Jesus” and as a Christian I always turn off movies that use that name in vain. You might think that is not a good reason, but you feel will feel it if they use your gods name as a swear. Very disappointed.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byChris Z. November 24, 2017

Parent of a 8 year old Written byCousinAnnie February 25, 2016

Adjust your expectations

My not-very-sensitive kid loved it - I was more scared than she was. There was plenty of terror and violence but actually less outright gore than I expected. The more mature content consisted of a few suggestive comments by a main character, a bit of tame kissing, and fair amount of swearing (more than in Jurassic Park, no F-bombs though). As a fan of the original Jurassic Park, which still holds up incredibly well more than 20 years later, I had to quickly downgrade any expectations I had for plot, acting, direction, and cinematography. The script is forced and clunky, and there is no Jeff Goldblum around this time to deliver the weightier lines. Filling out the plot are a few weak and kind of silly subthreads (uptight woman in a business suit falls for rough-around-the-edges raptor tamer! Dark military-industrial complex types want to weaponize velociraptors!). Let's face it, though, the central question of Jurassic World is "what could happen if vicious dinosaurs were let loose on a mass of theme park attendees?" The dialogue really isn't necessary. Think of this as a B-movie - a Godzilla-type blockbuster with a few horror elements mixed in - and enjoy what you can while the kids gawk at dinosaurs eating people and one another.

Parent Written byambei-pure July 9, 2015

Shocked

Was very surprised at the out come as when i went in to watch it I had low expectations from what had seen on trailer. But i am glad that I stay and watch it to the end as was very satisfied enjoyed every bit of it and will be going back with my family again soon