All parent member reviews for Kiki's Delivery Service

Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo May 1, 2011

Good humor, good music, good characters, good story, and great animation make this movie very special.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek December 21, 2010

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Great Family Movie

Great family movie. A little slow for the young ones, but still a great story.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... October 2, 2009

Great for little kids.

It's not Miyazaki's best work, but it was fun and the kids really loved it.
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Enjoyed By Young and Old

Both my children, older and younger, love this movie. We usually watch this once a year, and it has never gotten old. It's a story that strikes chords in anyone who's ever felt out of place in the world. Great messages about how being different is okay, and how important friendship can be. It also shows what hard work and a good attitude can help a person achieve. One warning: this movie, though obviously fantasy, does feature witches and witch powers in a real world style setting, and depending on pov may not be appropriate for your household.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMissMama April 7, 2010

Frightening to six year olds

I think this movie overall was ok. Very witchy - not in a fantasy sense. I think the part where the boy is falling and Kiki has to save him goes on for quite a whiles and is frightening - it is portrayed as an emergency scene with people running and screaming and sirens blaring as a blimp goes crashing into buildings etc ... my daughter and a friend (both 6) had eyes wide opened and seemed stressed watching this. In the end all is well, but do our children NEED to see terrifying images happening, I don't think so. All in all probably better than what's usually out ther - but not quite so harmless as say Strawberry Shortcake or Whinnie the pooh.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ April 2, 2010

If you've ever wished you could fly...

My whole family loved this movie about a young witch trying to get her career started when she's not sure what she's good at. My 6-year-old son especially loved the flying scenes -- Kiki on her sometimes uncontrollable broom, and even more fascinating her friend with his crazy homemade flying machines. Another charming import from Miyazaki! Like a lot of Miyazaki's heroines, Kiki is brave, resourceful, and always eager to help.
Adult Written byapmasonmom April 9, 2008

no villain

My son loved this movie because there is no bad guy. He felt relaxed enough to really enjoy it without worrying about something scarry happening.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byStacyVR February 25, 2015

Another fantastic Miyazaki movie

My two boys have loved this movie for years. Over the years, we have discussed different aspects of the movie -- a child moving away from her parents; becoming comfortable with one's self; self-reliance; friendship; cats; flying machines -- it's really never-ending. I just adore how the protagonist is a strong girl, and it's never made by the filmmaker as a point for the viewer to notice. It just is.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byzelita July 12, 2014

Outstanding messages for girls and boys!

Although contents are not offensive and still suitable for younger audience, this is best for older boys and girls. Kiki's strong self-confidence, purposefulness, and kind heart gives parents great opportunities to discuss choices one is faced with while growing and consequences, and that is valid for both girls and boys. The storyline beautifully offers both.
Parent Written byAPAdam July 26, 2013

Parent Written byaimless1 December 29, 2012

Very good movie

Cute and fun movie. Not scary. Totoro is better but I am glad I bought this one for my girls as well.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byletticepalmer October 29, 2012

High Quality Film Contains Enough Charm to Soften the Few Tense Moments

This is one of the few films that my super sensitive 4 year old will actually watch in its entirety. That doesn't mean there aren't some tense moments. But for whatever reason, the tension isn't enough to make my son want to turn it off. My theory is that he is so smitten with Kiki that he doesn't want to take his eyes off of her, so keeps watching. The cat character in the film is also very charming. As a parent, what I LOVE about it is that there are no guns or aggression, there is no villain or "bad guy" and the main characters all have good relationships with the adults they meet. As parent of a son, I also love that this film depicts a girl who is in control of her own life, and overcomes obstacles to eventually become the one who does the rescuing in the film's climax. I also love the slow pace of the film, which lets my son digest everything that he is watching. The final scene, in which a boy is holding onto a rope while suspended 100 feet in the air is quite tense, however, I think the younger kids might not realize how dangerous the situation is. The kids who are old enough to understand that the boy's life is in danger are probably able to handle the depiction of peril. The moment of rescue, is a beautiful moment of animation. This is possibly my favorite Miyazaki film (along with My Neighbor Totoro), so not only will your kid enjoy it, but you as a parent will want to sit down and watch too.
Adult Written bymikehayes85 August 22, 2012

Classic

This is one of my favorite movies, despite having seen it a multitude of times. When I first saw Kiki's Delivery Service, I was amazed by how fluid the animation was, how positively the story was told and how adorable the characters were. Seeing a young girl grow into a woman, watching her lose her way and then find herself is just one of the many messages conveyed here. It's also a story of a boy who finds out for the first time what love feels like, although she doesn't reciprocate. I don't want to spoil the rest of it for any first-timers. I recommend Kiki's Delivery Service if you fancy a departure from the average, humdrum storyline and CG animation displayed by many of today's animated features. If there's one complaint that I have, it's that I don't have it on Blu-Ray.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

Magical film with good role model

Very fun, appropriate movie interwoven with magic. Probably geared mostly to girls aged 5-12, but appropriate for both genders and all ages. The main character, Kiki, is an intelligent, independant witch who learns who she is and what she wants out of life through a series of adventures, misfortunes, and freindships. A beautiful movie. I recommend any of Miyazakis films.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good movie for all ages

Appropriate for all kids. There were a couple of jokes some people might consider inapropriate, but definatly a movie children can watch.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

It's a really funny and cool movie. Towards the end there is a scary part (a near fall) but everything turns out okay. It's not scary hardly at all. It has a lot of magical stuff in it like talking cats and witches.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bybrycenesbitt November 20, 2010

A wonderful coming of age story.

A wonderful coming of age story. The book seems very much pre-teen girl focused. The movie sticks more broadly. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byDruid August 29, 2010

As always what we love about Miyazaki movies is the breathtaking animation and the lovely kid-friendly stories. The pace of this movie is wonderful with huge sweeping landscapes that the characters move through which makes it easy to watch and not so frantically stimulating for younger kids. The story is very positive and the message is simple: believe in yourself and you can do pretty much anything. Throw in a bit of humor from the side kick cat and you've got a movie fun for both kids and adults!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byonceacarpenter May 18, 2010

wonderful!

This is a favorite in our house. My kids have loved this since they were little. I love Miyazaki!