All parent member reviews for Killing Them Softly

Adult Written byActionLuvinDad December 7, 2012

Wait 'til video, if then. MULTIPLE groups walked out before we did.

SLOOOW, at the beginning but I would have waited it out and maybe it would have gotten better but after getting half way through, enduring unnecessary profane and vile tirades and watching multiple groups of people getting up and walking out, we decided to leave. I am 46 years old and this is the FIRST movie that I ever left. I wish I had asked for a refund. I don't know why critics say it is any good. It was boring and unnecessarily profane.
Parent Written byCount Tyrone Rugen December 21, 2012

Too gritty and too real, with needlessly coarse vulgarity as a cherry on top.

Extreme language and extreme and needlessly lengthy coarse and vulgar discussions of sex and sexual excapades were enough to make me get up and leave after 20 minutes or so. I can't judge or grade the rest of the movie, but this should let some people know whether or not they want to bother with this slow paced mob and crime movie. I would recommend spending the $10 on some other film, but I'm sure this movie's gritty realism is fine for some among us, and the acting was as excellent as expected from such as Pitt and Liotta, as well as from the less well known supporting cast.
Educator Written byWinston Bay March 11, 2013

More Realist than Cynical, Though No-less American

Jackie Cogan is not so much a cynic as he is a hard realist. His means of income notwithstanding, he is no less a tradesman; an American professional who acknowledges the conditions and consequences of the enterprise system of business and government that governs the lives of so many other Americans. That Cogan acknowledges that "America is a business, not a country", only relieves him of having to justify himself against the false pretenses of "civil justice," "moral equality" and the "rule of law" that most Americans' have been failed by and fallen victim to already. Moral plays and appeals to the ideal have seldom appeased the taxman, truth be told. Enter the backdrop of the 2008 presidential election, a time eponymous with the height of America's most recent economic collapse due to fraudulent securitization, sub-prime mortgage fraud and illegal public bailouts of private interests. The parallels drawn and juxtaposed against the collapse of the local criminal economy due to the suspension of mob-run card games are not only brilliant, it justly reflects the nature of Wall Street. "Who's runnin' things," wonders Cogan. "Total corporate mindset," Driver reminds us from his luxury sedan, Cogan's "corporate" go-between who is also a lawyer, no less! Remarkably, the foils between so many characters and circumstances are what reveal Writer/ Director Andrew Dominik's "Killing Them Softly" to be a rather considered and intellectually-driven story. Although Cogan and Driver are often at odds with each other, they are essentially the same character: one an enforcer on the street, the other an enforcer in the court. Eventually, after brief and entertaining philosophical differences, they no-less always arrive at a complimentary consensus: violence works! "Killing Them Softly" is an accomplished and distinguishable film whose time will surely come to be appreciated for its unapologetic and disillusioned portrait of the American condition entering the twenty-first century... just as soon as its critics take off their rose-tinted blinders! [FIVE STARS/ *****]