Kid reviews for King Kong (1933)

King Kong (1933) Poster Image

It is a meh movie that I did NOT need to see.

I did not like this movie and there are 3 main reasons why. First, this might be 21st century bias/spoiling, but the special effects were GARBAGE! It looks like they are from 2 different worlds because they move so differently. King Kong moves like he is a laggy person in a video game and the lady is going so smoothly it is weird. Also the interactions suck and there are many times where they get cheap. Second, I think that they should fact check that Brachiosaurs are herbivores along with Stegosaurs. Third, I do not like the way they portray the tribe that King Kong is being kept by. They just grunt, not even speaking a language.

It was okay

I think it is an okay movie for it’s time but the beginning screen I very long approximately 4:00 min. King Kong was not very good and looked like a stuffed animal. And there are many fighting scenes where Kong just goes around destroying stuff.

King Kong

The overture is unexpectedly long which wasn’t ideal in today's streaming world, 4:15 to be exact. The music is classic however the sound-quality is not the greatest. Essentially, what happens is They go to an island to shoot a movie, and there is a giant monkey beast who they call King Kong. The movie is about them escaping and making a profit off of King Kong. The CGI isn’t the best compared to right now, but a solid effort at the time it was made at. The movie doesn't attempt to positively portray the Native people on the island, and many people do not like having one of the actresses Anne on the ship because she is a woman (sexist because it was made in 1933.)

Visuals ahead of it's time, overall pretty good.

It isn't by any means a bad movie. The visuals were great for it's time and the storytelling was pretty above average. Kong was a real sight to see, and I loved the sounds that they gave him. There was frequent sexism and racial stereotypes, but it was made in the early 30's. There were some scenes that went on for a bit too long, but it was layed out pretty good. I wouldn't rate this a family movie necessarily, but it definitely could be watched with some loved ones.

Teen - Age 13

Old school black-and-white movie that does contain violence and horror while it shows graphics of the colossal ape.

I did not enjoy it.

The special effects were very bad, it looked like King Kong and the other monsters were made out of clay. This movie was also very sexist and racist. I do not think you would want your child to pick up on that. Some people die and there is a scene where King Kong undresses Ann. Some of these scenes were disturbing to me, so it might be disturbing to your child too.

King Kong

Its a good movie but king kong looks awful, but it's from so long ago that it's okay. This movie has some sad stuff and deaths, and I don't think that a little kid would care to see this because it's an old school movie. There is a romance part but its not too bad for a kid. Overall it's a fun movie to watch but a kid would probably prefer watching the newer 2017 remake of this.

Not as good as Godzilla

I like Godzilla better

Ireland A classic monster movie - you might say, THE classic monster movie. Kids will find it exciting, and thrilling, although I’ve known some who’ve found it boring because it’s quite old. This is why I recommend showing it to your children at a young age - otherwise they may just dismiss it as teenagers. Certainly little children may find scenes distressing (Kong does seem to violently kill a large number of innocent people, but most of them are Americans so they probably deserve it, according to some anyway) but it’s no good showing them films with no distressing scenes at all - they need to know what real life is like, especially what to do when giant gorillas attack. Try to encourage your little one to sympathise with the big one (i.e. Kong). And you should try to get them to appreciate the special effects of the day - explain to them how the whole thing works.