Kid reviews for King Kong (1933)

Violent but beloved old-school monster movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

A Great Old Movie!

King Kong is a true classic, and one of the best adventure movies ever made. I prefer the 2005 version because it's a lot more intense, but the original must have been completely amazing back in 1933. Even by today's standards it's fairly fun and exciting. And as far as content goes, this is a great family movie. There's some violence. Kong breaks a T-Rex's jaw and then smashes in its skull (just like in the 2005 version), Kong snacks on people like popcorn and smashes them into the ground, and Kong destroys things and eats people in New York. This all would be very disturbing if Kong and the dinosaurs looked real, but it's not, you can tell they're puppets easily. Good for kids 7+
Kid, 11 years old October 4, 2012

An Almost Perfect Action Movie

When I saw this movie, I could see why it's a classic. There was less violence than the new version, and the special effects looked cheesy compared to 2005. But it must have been scary in 1933. I don't like how the movie stereotypes natives. I also don't like how nearly every movie from the 30's has romance. That's why I only give it 4 stars.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhomealonefan123 November 12, 2012

Really????

not very violent, what do you expect in a very old movie?
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

A little scary for tweens; teens can most definitely handle--come on, it's a 1930's movie!

My rating: PG for scary images involving monster violence.

Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2013

One of the Most Groundbreaking Monster Movies Ever

This is a very groundbreaking movie. The special effects look cheesy now, but they look great for the 30's. It moves at a very fast pace, first one monster appears, then, as soon as it goes away, another one appears. Once the action starts, it's almost non stop until the end. If there wasn't any romance, I would've given it 5 stars.

Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

THE BEST MONSTER MOVIE EVER

an incredible monster movie. Just fantastic, entertaining, funny and visually spectacular. Saw this when I was 10 and loved it, excellent special effects for the time and superb acting. And a very sad ending make this a must see classic
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe pox July 21, 2013

Spectacular

Talk about a classic. Possibly the most famous monster of all time. Worth a million watches, but not for sensitive people.

Kid, 9 years old March 27, 2009

king kong review by critic07

A classic, really good. but boring for kids who like just action movies. It is one of my favorite movies now.

Teen, 16 years old Written byshanno15 March 4, 2012

Great classic movie

THis movie was really a monumental leap in filmaking considering it was one of the first films to use sound and everything made in the film is stopmotion and made by hand.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 February 15, 2013

action packed monster flick will entertain anyone

this thrilling, incredible monster flick is a total classic in many ways. it is well known, has great stop motion effects, and contains plentiful, never-before-seen action. but this old, awesome horror flick is better fit for older kids. despite its age, King Kong still has some incredibly graphic violence. there is a massive body count, with people eaten, crushed, and dropped from high buildings, all on screen. Kong destroys a train, buildings, and cars. humans shoot at Kong with guns and smoke bombs. Kong fights with a T-Rex and giant lizard. Kong bleeds profusely following these battles and when he is shot off the Empire State Building, blood flows from his wounds. in a lighter scene, a man smokes.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJackson The King November 7, 2011

The Landmark in Monster movie history

I remember seeing this movie A long time ago. I remeber it was a cold friday night, happy that I did not have to go to pre-school the next day. I remember my dad watching a B&W movie. I thought it was boring till' the mighty Kong appeared. To my eyes the great beast looked so real and so animal like. I was glued to tv screen untill my mom sent me to bed. I remember hearing the movie. My mind running wild about what was going on. I had many dreams about the big ape. So one day a few weeks later at the local Blockbuster. I saw a VHS of the movie. I looked at the box so happy. I was 4 and did not know how to read but I knew the big ape from the next guy. So I begged my folks to rent it for me and they did. I was in such awe when I saw the Kong running around the city tearing up trains and building. I loved it. I did not see the movie again untill it showed on AMC the week before the big budgt remake. And at 7 i still loved it. I went to see the remake on Kong the week after its release. I loved it just as much. I did not learn how the special effect where done untill recently and now know what a landmark it was for movie FX. I am 14 and older. I watch horror movies all the time. But I love the classics the most: The Thing(1951), It came from beneath the sea(1955) and Dracula(1931). But when I think of monster movies I think of one of the first and best monsters: King Kong
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 26, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

I was blown away by this small yet enormous tale about the enormous gorilla Kong, which this groupn of film makers find on an island they had no business being on, but it was for the sake of making a movie. After a dozen deaths, they gas and ship Kong to Broadway where he breaks free, and the rest is history. This movie is so gripping even after being 75+ years old and because of that fact I think it is one of the finest films of all time.

Kid, 10 years old September 14, 2015

The eighth wonder of the World!

Despite how cheesy the affects looked theses were amazing in 1933. Since the affects are fake-looking, it is likely your kids will not be scared of it. good plot, story if it would have a rating, I would of gaven it PG.

Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2017

Scary, But Amazing Classic Monster Movie

King Kong is a great well-made movie with amazing special effects by Willies O'Brien. The movie can get violent once the crew land on Skull Island. One of the most violent scenes can be the log scene where the whole entire crew (on skull island), except from the men who are the lead roles in the movie, are killed. There is also a rather sexy scene where Kong starts tearing off Ann Darrow's clothes. Luckily he doesn't go too far to show off any private or very sexy and rude areas. In my opinion this is a fine movie ages 9 (or maybe 10) and up. I also give it a 5 star rating.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieGeek12345 November 4, 2017

An epic monster movie!

King Kong is not only an extremely influential film, using great special effects (for the time) and an original storyline which would influence many movies in the future. King Kong is also entertaining and has an enthralling plot and interesting characters. Parents should know however that there is constant violence though not at all graphic by todays standards really pushed the boundaries in the 30's.
Kid, 8 years old May 21, 2017

Great Movie

One of the best movies I have ever watched. Loved the battle scenes, lots of love. King Kong was awesome and the dinosaurs are really cool. Lots of destroying, cool people. Not too scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHigh five kid January 12, 2019

Great monster movie

This is an incredible movie with a good deal of violence. Kong fights monsters, rolls a log so sailors fell to their death, destroys a subway track, rampages through a village and swats at fighter planes. Something commonsensemedia doesn’t include in their review is that the original “bride of Kong” is depicted naked with flowers covering her. All in all this is a great movie

Teen, 16 years old Written byJ.C. Aldridge September 4, 2018

Rated PG (mild violence, threat, injury detail).

SEX/NUDITY - There is a moment where Kong removes a part of a woman's dress, but nothing explicit is shown. There are also some outdated viewpoints and opinions on women. VIOLENCE/GORE - Frequent violent scenes involving long sequences where Kong fights and kills prehistoric beasts and eventually begins to kill men and innocent bystanders. Infrequent injury detail also occurs, where blood is seen pouring out of a dead beast's open mouth. PROFANITY - Infrequent very mild language. DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING - Occasional scenes of smoking, reflecting on the time period. THREAT/HORROR - Sustained threat is present throughout, where Kong kills innocent people and holds a screaming woman captive. However, the threat is weakened by the outdated nature of the film, and the fact that it is presented in 'black & white'.