Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Knives Out

Expert, effortlessly entertaining all-star mystery-comedy.

Adult Written byStudio27b November 22, 2019

I Suspect...Foul Play!

Let me start off with this: I enjoyed the story and the way the characters were developed. Fun stuff. Honestly, it would have been a really great flick if not for...well...keep reading.

Messages: I felt like a solid message of "justice" was presented. I don't want to spoil any of the story for you though so I'll leave it at that. That said, I need to also include that there were Not-so Great messages. Drugs. Why do we need to make drugs normal? Really folks...drugs can really mess a person up.

Role Models: If you watch the film you'll be able to tell which characters display a good model to follow. Honestly, I think there were several folks like this (some weren't "main" characters though). Annnd there were some reeeally poor role models. Nuf said.

Violence: It was nice that they actually didn't show much in the way of violence. There were a couple times when something violent caught us by surprise though. Also, two events in particular might be pretty disturbing for kids. One is fairly short lived the other lasts a bit longer.

Sexy Stuff: This is always an area of particular caution for me. I like to limit my exposure to things like this. I was actually really pleased with how little VISUAL things were present. As the movie unfolded I expected to see statues or other art forms that were subtle or overt or both...but it wasn't there! I call that a win for this director. Buuut then there was the verbal stuff...annnnd the win is taken away. There were several sexual (distinctly sexual: masterbation, "boinking", etc.) comments. One scene in particular involves a discussion about a young man's activities on his phone and in the bathroom. Sigh...unfortunate.

Swearing: Yes...there's a fair amount of swearing. Quite a bit actually. It wasn't "situationally appropriate" either. A lot of it was really unnecessary.

Consumerism: This was present in so much as greed over wanting to inherit the spoils of a deceased wealthy relative (I don't think that was a spoiler...it's in the trailers and is the primary plot of the film) could naturally cause it...but the characters do an exemplary job of taking it to the next level for sure.

Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Yes, there are all three. Hard liquor, Beer, Cigars, Cigarettes, and Pot are all present. It's not a ton, but it is there.

So, all in all, what are my thoughts? It's a movie I wouldn't tell folks NOT to see, honestly, I think a lot of folks will likely really enjoy it. I laughed quite a bit along the way, but I also cringed a few times too. It's a film I wouldn't likely buy, but will probably rent and watch using my favorite filtering service, VidAngel (looove VA by the way!).

Hope this helps!
Enjoy a great film and let us know what you thought.

Dave

Violence:

Adult Written bymrtrucka November 27, 2019

Really fun family movie for teens and parents

This isn't a movie for kids-there is a murder/suicide (not shown), a lot of swearing, cigarette and cigar smoking (maybe brief vaping?), brief references to masturbation and "boinking" (both in a funny context), brief pot use, drinking alcohol, brief references to affairs. Much of this bad behavior is portrayed by adults who act like spoiled kids, so not glamorized. I thought it was a great movie for families with teens (assuming they're old/mature enough to recognize the bad behavior, which is actually quite over the top and funny, and have been previously exposed to swearing/drinking/pot-smoking in the media). I recommend it because it's smart enough for teens to feel like they're not watching a kid movie but good enough for parents to enjoy as well. The acting is top-notch, the plot is fun and surprising, the characters are ridiculously entertaining and the overall message is that kindness wins. One thing I particularly liked is that it is slow-paced in the best way-there is not much action. Instead, the movie is plot and character-driven. I went with my 14 and 16 year olds (girl and boy) and my 74 year old dad and we all really enjoyed it. Personally I could have done with less swearing and without the pot use, because I don't think they added much to the story, but I still thought it was a great family with teenagers movie. Also, if anyone is sensitive to the topic of suicide, they may not want to see this, because part of the plot has to do with figuring out if the death was due to suicide or murder.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byRobyn T. November 30, 2019

Not for those with Emetophobia

A main character has a condition that causes her to vomit when she lies. My 13-year-old daughter has emetophobia. After the first instance, about 20 minutes into the movie, the character threw up and my daughter had a panic attack. I left to take her home and cans back an hour later to join my husband. I missed a lot of a complicated movie. He is a tough critic and he said it was great, so as long as that doesn’t bother you, and the rest of the info like smoking, a slit throat, etc., isn’t a problem and you like The Who Done It style, it’s a great movie!
Adult Written byMovie L. November 24, 2019

The Trailer Does Not Do It Well

I went to an early screening of knives out, the trailer looked really good but it did not do the movie well at all, this movie was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The movie is all revolving around the death of a mystery novel author, and detectives inspecting it as a murder, I can't go into details without spoiling, DO NOT let the trailer turn you away from this movie. I put twelve and up but it depends on how mature they are for their age, there is a lot of swearing all through out, blood is shown once in the movie coming out of a persons neck. Smoking is often seen throughout the movie as well as a secret stash of weed. This movie brings a great message of what teamwork can do to solve a problem, in this case a murder. Towards the end of the movie, violence is shown a lot.

Adult Written byMitchwil December 3, 2019

Better than expected!

With the amount of violence in the movie, especially in the last act, this is really a teens-and-up film. But it has surprisingly well-incorporated messages of teamwork (for the subject matter, anyway). The trailer doesn't give away many of the best jokes and scenes, don't be fooled.

Adult Written bymovieman48 December 3, 2019

Take on Christie but what an annoying accent.

This take on Agatha Christie will delight those who like whodunits. A very good cast but did Daniel Craig have to put on such a corny accent? Wouldn't it have been better if he had been a British sleuth? It really got quite annoying in the end. As for the rest of the cast, superb acting but the twists and turns are a bit obvious.
Adult Written byChrisdye89 November 30, 2019

not bad but all together too much swearing

this was a movie i really enjoyed i must admit there was action humor and a family is family dynamic while i enjoyed the movie i must admit there was quite a helping of profanity it felt like every 5 minutes a swear was said so i dont recommend it for familys its not a bad movie at all just alot of tough talk and sexual content