Appealing kid-friendly comedy; some scary scenes.

Adult Written bymovies mom April 9, 2008

WAY TOO VIOLENT

I love CSM and usually find your reviews excellent and balanced, but I am really disappointed in your review on this movie. Just check out these other parent reviews too see that many parents are finding this film way too violent. I guess that many kids are "immune" today to such scenes, but my 6 and 8 year old were frightened and I was really disturbed, so we left after 1/3 of the movie. Maybe the fun stuff was at the end (?), but the first part was horrible: crossbows being fired at a prisoner in a dungeon, spiky torture weapons, fighting and head-smashing. Ugh. WRONG REVIEW, Common Sense.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written bydigitiser March 16, 2011

Excessively violent for the style and sophistication of the story line

As a film professional, I went to the world première of Kung Fu Panda, but was concerned that the makers have not thought enough about children imitating the violence. Although the violence is between non-humans, you need to consider whether children personify speaking animals and whether they will imitate specific actions. I was particularly concerned about blows to the head being portrayed as acceptable, as it is known that some children have weak skulls and can suffer serious injury or even death from a blow that another child might inflict without serious malicious intent. Film makers should know about this, as some national ratings boards discourage depictions of blows to the head (along with knife throwing and hanging that does not result in death) as the most dangerous violence to portray to children. At a minimum, parents should discuss with children the risks of blows to the head and the idea that violence is a solution to problems.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDani100 January 2, 2009

Glad I didn't take my 4 year old

I like animation. I like China. I like pandas. I was excited to see this, but I was really disappointed. It wasn't funny and had no charm. I'm really glad I didn't take my 4-year-old son, because it had more evil and violence than I care to expose him to. The strangling bothered me the most. Evil tiger guy was trying to KILL little rat guy. No 4-year-old should watch that.
Adult Written byWill loves movies June 1, 2013

Skadoosh!

Kung Fu Panda is a great film that all members of the family can enjoy. Po is a great role model who shows determination through all circumstances. This movie also has a good message about being yourself. The violence is mostly slapstick but the final battle is a bit violent. Thanks for reading and enjoy the movie.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010
Adult Written bytreesap April 9, 2008

I HIGHLY Recomment this movie...

I was so happy to finally go to a movie with no sexual innuendos. I haven't been this pleased with a movie since "Nemo" and "Toy Story." It was fun, it was thrilling, the animation is beautiful, and the main character is very loveable. It's all the things you love about Jack Black bundled into a cuddly black and white package. The fight scenes may be too intense for younger children. The villain is very scary and the fights are fast paced and flashy. But there are no sexual innuendos, no curse words, or "almost" curse words (like in "Shrek"). I was please, and want you to know that ever member of your family will enjoy it. From the kindergartener to the octagenarian.....
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo November 11, 2010
Tai Lung's character is too scary for my 3 year old. The scenes are dark, the music is scary. It's got a lot of violence for younger children. My older children liked the movie, and don't really view it in terms of violence, however, smaller children will find animals beating each other up not such a great situation. Also, all the characters make fun of the "big, fat panda" and this is a horrible message to send to children about self image, unless they understand the context. It's not a damaging movie, just one that doesn't have the best messages to take away from it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

Good for 6+

I though Kung Fu Panda would be boring but it was very good so I'm very shocked about it.
Adult Written bycourtwork March 6, 2013

Great fun for the whole family

This is such a great film. It is fun, entertaining, and engaging. The characters are wonderful, especially Jack Black as Po and Master Shifu. This one is truly great for the whole family. I think my husband and I enjoyed it as much as the kids. Two thumbs up for kids 6 and up.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie March 19, 2016

Beautifully Animated Film Is Very Entertaining

I really liked this better than it's two films. I will write a review for the second film in a while. The film isn't dark and sad like the other films, (besides the turtles death) and it is extremely entertaining, one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen. The exciting scenes and positive reviews by critics make this a must-see for martial art movie fans, and it doesn't really focus on the martial art subject either, it focuses on how you can't look at a person one time and say they're bad, they can be trained, improved, and they could get a lot better. The film is funny, original, and has great messages.
Adult Written by413804 January 29, 2012

Hilarious

Hilarious film. Tai lung is pretty scary, but kids will be too distracted by how sweet and funny po is
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bytoddhead January 31, 2011

Our family favorite!

One of our family favorites. I've watched or heard this movie (kids watching on trips in the van) at least 40 times and I could sit down and watch it again right now. The whole family loves this movie and the message it brings.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byChomper June 30, 2010

Awesome movie... GREAT for all ages

This movie is absolutely entertaining with a great story line, action, family values, etc. Don't miss this one!
Adult Written bySettingXSail January 11, 2009
Parent of a 1 year old Written byMh26 July 23, 2016

More kungfu panda

Its awesome my kids love the movies and they should make more of them po has many many adventures to go through.
Adult Written bymoviecrtic18 February 4, 2012

A short sweet martial Arts action movie with a soft panda who knows some kung fu,his story is legendary when he fights with Tai-lung,his battle was funny but short.the furious 5 has got some sweet moves,but Po is the dragon warrior better than anyone,his own life is predictable,but the story is light and high energy.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJothe September 24, 2009

funny movie with a really positive message

I have a very sensitive 5 yo, but she was fine with the Tai Lung "scary" scene. So much fun and enjoyable for our whole family (mom, dad, 5 yo, 2 yo).
Adult Written bynglore April 9, 2008

Not So FUnny Panda

Movie Rating= 2.8 out of 5 Top 3 Items You Need To Know 1) There are parts of the film that focus heavily on the spiritual side of martial arts. This can give kids a false impression of the truth. Also, the moral lesson seems to be tied into that religion as well. They look to their "masters" as god-like individuals. 2) Given the name you would expect a lot of violence; although I did not see blood in the fight scenes they are very intense and a little disturbing (even more so for younger viewers). If you take your kids be prepared for Kung Fu Showdowns at your home (the fighting scenes are in overload on this film). 3) Not as funny as the previews led me to believe. I did laugh at parts of this movie though. They did throw in some words that could be offensive to some (especially those with younger kids) and they tried to make light of situations where characters (especially Po the Panda) were being made fun of. Final Note: The movie left me a little disappointed. With all of the above situations I can't see myself purchasing this movie and giving even more cash to the producers.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 20, 2010

This was a awesome movie and it had very shocking moments so hey very good.