All parent member reviews for Kung Fu Panda

Adult Written bymovies mom April 9, 2008

WAY TOO VIOLENT

I love CSM and usually find your reviews excellent and balanced, but I am really disappointed in your review on this movie. Just check out these other parent reviews too see that many parents are finding this film way too violent. I guess that many kids are "immune" today to such scenes, but my 6 and 8 year old were frightened and I was really disturbed, so we left after 1/3 of the movie. Maybe the fun stuff was at the end (?), but the first part was horrible: crossbows being fired at a prisoner in a dungeon, spiky torture weapons, fighting and head-smashing. Ugh. WRONG REVIEW, Common Sense.
Parent Written byVeryConcernedDad December 23, 2011

Mortal Kombat with Animals

I saw this movie with my kids. I loved the humor but there was a major flaw. The intense violence. It seemed like Conan the Barbarian and Jackie Chan were butchering people in ancient China. Heads flying off, legs getting ripped off, blood splatter everywhere, spines getting ripped, bones crushed, animals getting melted until you can see their bare skeletons, you name it. This movie basically takes elements from Mortal Kombat and adds them into a child's movie.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written bydigitiser March 16, 2011

Excessively violent for the style and sophistication of the story line

As a film professional, I went to the world première of Kung Fu Panda, but was concerned that the makers have not thought enough about children imitating the violence. Although the violence is between non-humans, you need to consider whether children personify speaking animals and whether they will imitate specific actions. I was particularly concerned about blows to the head being portrayed as acceptable, as it is known that some children have weak skulls and can suffer serious injury or even death from a blow that another child might inflict without serious malicious intent. Film makers should know about this, as some national ratings boards discourage depictions of blows to the head (along with knife throwing and hanging that does not result in death) as the most dangerous violence to portray to children. At a minimum, parents should discuss with children the risks of blows to the head and the idea that violence is a solution to problems.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDani100 January 2, 2009

Glad I didn't take my 4 year old

I like animation. I like China. I like pandas. I was excited to see this, but I was really disappointed. It wasn't funny and had no charm. I'm really glad I didn't take my 4-year-old son, because it had more evil and violence than I care to expose him to. The strangling bothered me the most. Evil tiger guy was trying to KILL little rat guy. No 4-year-old should watch that.
Adult Written bytreesap April 9, 2008

I HIGHLY Recomment this movie...

I was so happy to finally go to a movie with no sexual innuendos. I haven't been this pleased with a movie since "Nemo" and "Toy Story." It was fun, it was thrilling, the animation is beautiful, and the main character is very loveable. It's all the things you love about Jack Black bundled into a cuddly black and white package. The fight scenes may be too intense for younger children. The villain is very scary and the fights are fast paced and flashy. But there are no sexual innuendos, no curse words, or "almost" curse words (like in "Shrek"). I was please, and want you to know that ever member of your family will enjoy it. From the kindergartener to the octagenarian.....
Adult Written byWill loves movies June 1, 2013

Skadoosh!

Kung Fu Panda is a great film that all members of the family can enjoy. Po is a great role model who shows determination through all circumstances. This movie also has a good message about being yourself. The violence is mostly slapstick but the final battle is a bit violent. Thanks for reading and enjoy the movie.
Adult Written bycourtwork March 6, 2013

Great fun for the whole family

This is such a great film. It is fun, entertaining, and engaging. The characters are wonderful, especially Jack Black as Po and Master Shifu. This one is truly great for the whole family. I think my husband and I enjoyed it as much as the kids. Two thumbs up for kids 6 and up.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 6, 2013

WHAT!! UR LEAVING ME????? *HUGS LEG DESPRATLEY WHILE SOBBING

umm......that doesn't mean i like him necesserily.....and my bro may be lying......
Adult Written bymoviecrtic18 February 4, 2012

A short sweet martial Arts action movie with a soft panda who knows some kung fu,his story is legendary when he fights with Tai-lung,his battle was funny but short.the furious 5 has got some sweet moves,but Po is the dragon warrior better than anyone,his own life is predictable,but the story is light and high energy.

Adult Written by413804 January 29, 2012

Hilarious

Hilarious film. Tai lung is pretty scary, but kids will be too distracted by how sweet and funny po is
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 18, 2011

Believing in Yourself

I love how it teaches to believe in yourself and great things can happen!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bytoddhead January 31, 2011

Our family favorite!

One of our family favorites. I've watched or heard this movie (kids watching on trips in the van) at least 40 times and I could sit down and watch it again right now. The whole family loves this movie and the message it brings.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo November 11, 2010

Tai Lung's character is too scary for my 3 year old. The scenes are dark, the music is scary. It's got a lot of violence for younger children. My older children liked the movie, and don't really view it in terms of violence, however, smaller children will find animals beating each other up not such a great situation. Also, all the characters make fun of the "big, fat panda" and this is a horrible message to send to children about self image, unless they understand the context. It's not a damaging movie, just one that doesn't have the best messages to take away from it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

Good for 6+

I though Kung Fu Panda would be boring but it was very good so I'm very shocked about it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

Parent of a 9 year old Written byChomper June 30, 2010

Awesome movie... GREAT for all ages

This movie is absolutely entertaining with a great story line, action, family values, etc. Don't miss this one!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 20, 2010

This was a awesome movie and it had very shocking moments so hey very good.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byNot the Partrid... February 12, 2010

Not for babies, but very fun.

The violence in this movie is prominent, however it is done in a humurous way, and in a way that does not impact the story. We felt some of the violence was unecessary. The idea to not kill your opponent but rather neutralize, is at best a teen ideal, or martial artist theme. Expect your kids to repeat the fighting scenes soon after the movie. Explain what martial arts are and how glamourizing violence isn't what martial arts does. This movie is fun for the whole family, but may send mixed messages about how, when, and why to use violence.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byleah.k November 24, 2009

Awesome Family Movie

As mentioned there are scary bits at the beginning & end but it wouldn't be a good story without them. Panda is a positive role model - whole family loves this movie
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

good movie

a pretty good movie but lots of vilonce.