Kid reviews for L.A. Confidential

L.A. Confidential Poster Image

James Ellroy's Neo-Noir Film of a Lifetime

L.A. Confidential is a gripping thriller laden with gritty homicides, tragic heroes, complex subplots, all combining to a brilliant reconstruction of Noir and pulp depiction of L.A.. Following the investigation of two very different cops, played by Russel Crowe and Guy Pearce, each brilliantly flawed. The film features high amounts of injury detail and detail of homicide and murder, featuring themes of suicide and prostitution, making it unsuitable for many young audiences, but teens and older today are usually exposed to much worse. There is coarse language and difficult moments to handle, surrounding sexual abuse, rape, murder and corruption, but throughout you are encouraged to follow the two heroes of the story, who aren't without flaws themselves. It has a good message, upon further insight, where true love doesn't come easy, good triumphs over evil, the bitter crime and violence of L.A. in the 50s, and the heroism of few can destroy the corruption of many. I would watch this film many more times if I could - watching this when I was early an 15, it is deserving of a high age rating, but had me gripped, earning itself a place as on of my favourite films of all time. Would definitely recommend a watch!

Brilliant

Superb cop thriller has some thriller violence.

"L.A. Confidential", winner of 2 Academy Awards (Kim Basinger - Best Actress in a Supporting Role; Best Script written directly for the Screen), is an excellent cop thriller. The actors are terrific, the plot is excellent. The movie deals with corruption and how police sometimes lies in order to get a job done. The Hush-Hush magazine is based upon the real one, "Conidential" (as the movie's title suggests) and the movie shows a very corrupt and unfortunately true depiction of reality. Very good! The movie has nothing too strong. It focuses on 3 cops and a prostitute. I think it is clear that with these protagonists the movie has violence and sex as thematic elements. But there is never anything strong or inapproriate for mature tweens. Some corpses are shown, sometimes bloody, sometimes decaying. The scenes are not disturbing. The character played by Russel Crowe is rude and a bit violent, but in contrast to him the character played by Guy Pearce is calm and gently. The role played by Kevin Spacey is neutral. The violence is never depicted in a way it could disturb or harm tweens. The movies has a prostitute as one of the protagonists, so there is sexual talk. No strong sexuality is depicted. The language is average R-profanity. If you don't mind the language, it is suitable for teens and up. And nowadays it would have been rated 15 in the UK and Ireland, not 18.

If the shootout didn't seem like an attempt to bring in more audience members, if the plot was rearranged in flashback form to add to the post-noir effect, and if it didn't seem so full of itself, L.A. Confidential would be perfect.