All parent member reviews for Labyrinth

Parent of a 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc May 5, 2010

Great fantasy movie with some good messages

Other than a few mild curse words, this movie was completely family friendly. I agree with the other viewers that some parts can be frightening for younger viewers, but use your descretion. My 6 year old was fine watching it (she has seen Harry Potter also). My kids give me a really hard time about picking these movies from the 80s because they feel they are dated or cheesy. They absolutely love this movie and asked me a million questions about David Bowie. I think my 11 year old has a crush on him now. This movie has great messages for young kids about life and independance, as well as overcoming challenges in life and not giving up.
Adult Written bySarah Grace September 6, 2012

Gives me the creeps

Goblins. What else can I say? This movie might give some poor small child nightmares....
Adult Written byMadeiraDarling May 26, 2014

Fun For Kids And Adults

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. It scared me a little, but I loved it anyway. Jareth is one of my favorite villains (and okay, David Bowie is one of the reasons this movie is fun for moms, hehe) with its charming musical numbers, whimsical puppets and a positive message about learning to overcome adversity and loving your siblings (even when they're being difficult). It's a great coming of age film, with an awesome heroine.
Parent of a 6, 6, and 7 year old Written byJava Mama August 6, 2012

Kid friendly, but an overall terrible movie.

Based on all the reviews I figured it would be a fun movie to watch with our 6 and 7 year old boys. But it was almost unbearable to sit through the entire movie, with its rambling plot, annoying protagonist and David Bowie showing up every few minutes in disturbingly tight pants crooning melodies that felt very ill-fitting with the atmosphere of the movie. My kids didn't notice any of this, though, and seemed entertained enough. There were scenes that included large bird-like creatures that humorously swapped out body parts, but then chased the girl, threatening to take off her head,and one in which she was surrounded by masked figures that might be scary for smaller children. But there was humor peppered in throughout the film that took the edge off anything too intense. Positive messages regarding friendship and family were portrayed, though weakly. Overall, a seemingly appropriate family movie, but be warned, it is sickeningly cheesy!!! If it wasn't for my kids, I would have turned it off 1/3 of the way into it.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 20, 2009

We like it...Sensitive-child families may have second thoughts...

This is a movie that my sister and I grew up on. I still love watching it, but can see the negatives now that I'm older and have my own kids. Sarah's character is always complaining...seriously, it seems constant the whole first half of the movie. Not good for kids that emulate what they see. At the beginning of the movie, Sarah's brother is taken and in a darkened room, goblins tease and frighten the girl. During all that, the music is a little creepy and there is a thunderstorm. My 6 year old daughter, who isn't scared of movies...even the first 2 Harry Potter movies...is terrified by that part!! It's the only movie she actually has a fear of a scene. My 4 year old son is completely fine with it all, though. If you don't care for gassy humor, you'll have to forward through the Bog of Eternal Stench. We think it's completely hilarious, but I'm sure many families will be offended! There are a few parts, beginning/middle/end, where someone bribes or tries to bribe another to get them to do what they want. The Goblin King even says to Sarah in the end, "Love me, fear me...and I will be your slave." What!? No, I didn't get it as a kid, but really don't like it now. My kids don't get it, so I'm ok. Some sensitive kids might get upset with this furry, skinny goblin group that take their body parts off, play games with them, do weird dances with them, etc. Then, they run after Sarah to try and take her head off. My kids think the guys are funny, but sensitive kids may really be scared!! Sarah also gets drugged by a peach and some kids might wonder what exactly is going on. It all sounds bad, but because I grew up with it and my kids have a strong sense of reality and fiction, I'm ok with them watching it. You know what your children can handle. I suggest you watch it first and decide for yourself.
Parent Written byJae January 29, 2010

Excellent movie!!

Absolutely love this movie! There are some scary scenes with Muppet monsters, otherwise, it's a delightful, fun, fantasy movie.
Parent Written bySunlover37 April 4, 2015

Nightmares for years to come

My family and I decided to have a fun Saturday movie night, and having heard this to be a loved classic, decided to watch the film, which was in turn one of the worst mistakes of my life. The movie is full of horrific 80's music, terrifying creatures, a plot that can only have been thought of while doing some sort of illegal drug, and not to mention a disturbing David Bowie. All four of these things gave not only my children nightmares, but also me and my husband. As a result everyone in my family can no longer listen to any form of 80's music without feeling uncomfortable with the fear that David Bowie will appear to steal away my children and sing to us.
Parent Written byDuncanDerund May 10, 2014

Labrinth

Great fantasy movie. Children in peril at times. Goblins attack fast pace. D*mn h**l and s**t. Mild action of sci-fi family movies
Adult Written byFaille April 9, 2008

Fine for kids, just not that good

The puppetry is fun to watch, but seems funny rather than scary compared to today's effects. Jennifer Connelly is not very good (whiny loud/whiny quiet are her two modes) and it's more of a musical than I was expecting. The plot moves slowly and doesn't resolve that well. My son, aged 9, found it suspenseful, but couldn't even give it 1 thumbs up.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymkamat September 4, 2015

Our son was enthralled!

I had seen this movie as a teenager, and thought it maybe interesting for our son. He is very detail oriented and loves intricate stuff, so I thought the puppets and the various props in the movie would be interesting for him. I was right, and he spent the entire movie glued to the plot, the puppets and the making of the movie segment. He was surprised at the amount of detail and energy that went into the various characters.
Parent Written byrolandobabel June 14, 2013

Great movie, little restrictions

This is a good children's movie, but it can be frightening at times
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylaurfletch October 20, 2009

kids laugh at the stinky parts

I thought it was an adventure and less scary than scooby doo cartoons
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bybrettyd December 30, 2012

spectaculary nice and odd great story

a beautiful film, well made puppetry film with amazing artwork, brief summary : a girl babysitting her younger toddler step brother is deep into a book called 'the labyrinth' she wishes for a goblin king to take the scraeming baby away, he comes, takes the baby, tells her, you have a certain time to find the baby in my labyrinth or your baby brother will be come a goblin, she meets a few friends on the way and finds her brother,, there is a bit of violence but nothing too much, some fire addicted monsters taking each others heads off and trying to take sarahs off too, goblins under the bed, various fight scenes, a few positive messages, i clicked the drugs and drink for a beer scene in the labyrinth and david bowie can be seen snorting an imaginary line of cocaine in the dance magic song if the video is slowed down, but it is otherwise unnoticable, a few funny explosions here and there, some funny moments in the film too, my 6 year old watched it , wasnt keen on the goblins under the bed, but often asks to watch it and listen to the amazing soundtrack that it has, and watch clips on youtube, know your childs limits!
Parent Written byjeb522 April 9, 2008