Parent reviews for Lady in the Water

Lady in the Water Poster Image

Good scare, NO GORE, good messages!

So what if their are cheesey beginning and cheesey end. This movie has no gore, no sex, no anti biblical message. It’s got a diverse cast and no gore. Magical storyline sending the message thst 1) You may be the most important person in any situation 2) you must take action and participate in groups fir good to happen 3) you may not play the role you think- God may be using you for other purposes you won’t understand yet on the journey- just do your best 4) great things can be accomplished when we all try 5) your thoughts are with writing down- your thoughts could change the world! 6) Greater danger than you realize may exist and you’ll need courage! There’s smoking in the movie. It was perfect for my tween who wanted to be scared a bit on Halloween!

A Glass of Water

Classic M Night movie with lots of twist and turns and over the top funny moments from a decade long passed. In consumerism people looking akward at cererals.

One of my favorites

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's not your typical Hollywood formula, has more of an indie/artistic feel to it. Very clever weaving of foreshadowing and hints of fantasy into what otherwise seems like a mundane world. Shows character growth and people learning how to handle loss/grief, how to learn to have confidence in themselves, how to trust others and work together to overcome a challenge/crisis. I absolutely love this movie and have watched it countless times. HOWEVER, this is not a movie for kids. I would recommend this for older teens only, maybe 15+. Very little violence, but there are some scary images and slightly mature themes about loss of loved ones. One man dies in a hallway - nothing gory is shown, but the scene is somewhat frightening and there is screaming when the monster attacks.

Movies With Depth Cultivate Brilliance

The engine of great writing begins with a spark of genius and continues with combustion, all resulting in great movement that does far more than entertain. Lady in the Water, which I first watched on a cross-oceanic flight in 2006, weaves a mystical plot that engages the mind, yanks at the heart and speaks to the soul. M. Night Shyamalan lives up to his reputation as a creative, multi-dimension film maker, by giving us a film experience that teaches real values; harmony, acceptance of diversity, cooperation and above all, faith. The film does not come right out and scream it at us but it is replete with spirituality that reassures us that we all have a special purpose in this world, that none of us are just secondary players in someone else’s story. Lady in the Water takes us through the saga of Story, a shy, innocent raven haired female castaway from another realm. Like Steven Spielberg’s E.T., Story either unconsciously or deliberately recruits an entourage of people who not only recognize her value to the universe but come together in a unified effort to help her return home. And like E.T., there are powerful moments of redemption and the inevitable Christ-like resurrection. But unlike E.T. that did not stray too from the rail road tracks of innocence, Lady in the Water has a gritty, tragic side that reminds us that beyond the apartment complex and its immediate surroundings, lies a world of predators, human and otherwise. The film is less of a child’s story and more of a not too innocent fable of man’s own struggle to rise out from the ashes of grief, self-loathing and guilt. It is no coincidence that the real protagonist of the film is a doctor turned apartment superintendent—Cleveland Heep. Heep is a man who harbors a terrible secret, spelled out in it in a private journal that Story choses to read. In the manner of a true empath, Story takes the former doctor’s pain in and give us insight into a very believable character. Heep is not a hero but represents every one of us who must struggle with regrets and continue to search for our version of the meaning of life. Only when all hope appears to be lost, does the former physician spew out all his pain while healing Story and in doing so, heals himself. Unlike most films that grace our media centers, Lady in the Water takes place in only one location—a Philadelphia apartment complex. There are not any street scenes, police chases, shoot-outs or breathtaking aerials. There is brilliance in this film’s Vanier of simplicity, a shroud that conceals much depth and leaves with much to think about. Lady in the Water is not for the faint of heart. There are a few scary and very sad moments. But for those of us who have suffered real loss, made mistakes or even blame ourselves for the evil of others, the film will offer a very good and very big blast of beautiful redemption. I give it FIVE STARS.

Eerie, at times terrifying Shyamalan thriller more thoughtful than bloody

Parents need to know that while this is not as gory or scary as some of M. Night Shyamalan's other films, Lady in the Water is a suspenseful horror/sci-fi/thriller that will have little ones on the edge of their seat, or cowering in terror. There is a frightening CGI wolf-like creature who, throughout the movie is intent on finding and killing the lead character. Big scratches are seen on her legs from the monster's attacks. There is an eerie feel throughout the film; tension ever growing. Like all of Shyamalan's films, there is an incredible plot twist at the end. While I won't give it away, I will say that this time the twist is not in any way provocative or inappropriate. There is some nudity, as the main character doesn't wear clothes. However, sensitive parts are cleverly covered by the positions she sits in/camera angles. There is some smoking, and the character's smoke anyway, knowing that it is against the rules in the hotel they stay at. Overall, Lady in the Water is a thrilling classic for teens and up!

M.Night does it again!!

This movie got the shaft by critics. My husband and I and our 12 year old son went together and all of us enjoyed it. I was weeping at the end which was very touching for those of us who have suffered a loss of a loved one. We found it intriging because of the "mystery" of the lady and the unusual camera angles and unpredictable dialogue. Have always enjoyed M.Night's movies. Maybe we are biased because of that. This movie is very much worth your time if you like art (something different than your average hollywood formula) in movie form.
not rated for age

its too much violence for kids today. They need any more bad ideas

This should only be for adults, even for the kids who are 17 + with an adult. Other than that, its not good for the kids because one of them could have 'water fear', 'water nightmares', or their trauma experience. Its best to have this for an adult. violence is what we need to control today because too many kids are killing each other.

Just go see it!

Just go see it. That’s what I tell people. That’s what I did. I'd like to think that's what you should do. For those who need more, read on. Shyamalan provides us with again with what he always does - something new and original. Unlike his other movies this one does not depend on his trade-mark surprise ending which has, at least in my opinion, disappointed at least once. There is a surprise ending but it is more charming than shocking and caps the story off brilliantly. More like Unbreakable than the Village, this ice-cream cone simply has a different flavor at the core, not sour bubblegum. Throughout Lady in the Water I felt a certain pleasant nostalgia. It only struck me later that the movie bears a number of similarities to the very successful Never Ending Story (the original movie, not the string of progressively more confusing sequels). Lady in the Water took the deadly risk of self analysis and capped that off with a bit of morbid comedy when the reviewer came face to face with the reviewed. I think it worked. I really enjoyed the elemental theme of water which was so strong throughout the movie. I really enjoy water, swimming, life guarding and teaching swimming lessons but I guess it's not for everyone. Water seems to play an important part in Shyamalan's movies. I wonder if he had a near drowning experience. This is a fascinating way of dealing with such an issue. So much wasn't said in the movie and that I really appreciate. He gives the audience a little credit and doesn't spoon feed us. It was never said that the monster was afraid of water, yet all the time it was clear that it was. The water seemed like a protective barrier. It was a symbol and a shield, and a surprise to make you jump out of your seat. Many elements were just disturbing but there was a clear sense of right and wrong and morality. The guardian and his weightlifting were just bizarre and that is what I remember most strongly about the movie because I've never seen that before. The morality of the healer and that the movie did not need gratuitous adult scenes to work was a welcome relief. I thought it was a fantastic movie. I'll have to agree that it is not for everyone. It is only for people who dream.