All parent member reviews for Lars and the Real Girl

Adult Written byslickjdj April 9, 2008

Adult Written byddue2be April 9, 2008

a must see

it is the exact oposit in what you think it is, it is touching and really makes you think, the only explict thing is the doll itself. It is less of a comedy and more of a drama but there a few funny scenes, Ryan Gossling did an amazing job this was on of the best movies i have ever seen! i would definatly take kids 11 or over to see this, trust me it is not that bad! Absouloutly not explict i dont think there was more than 2 curses in the movie.
Adult Written byyetijones June 27, 2009

Common Sense is Wrong Again: A Perfect Film Tainted by the Hands of Parent Reviewers

"Lars and the Real Girl" (2007) is a film directed by Craig Gillespie and written by Nancy Oliver. The story focuses on a man's emotional disturbances and how it affects not only his life, but the community's as well. It is a beautiful and very special message about the disparities, flaws in nature, and all the trivial quandaries we face as a culture, and how it is essential for everyone to come together in the end, even for just that one person. "Lars" is a spectacular tale for persons and children of a slightly older age, not due to questionable material ("Lars" is clean as a whistle, with maybe only one or two curse words throughout), but due to the complex moral, social, and emotional issues the film plays with, some of which might just be too far above your child's comprehension level at an early age. Also expect to see a LOT of symbolism in the film. If you have read "How To Read Literature Like A Professor" by Thomas Foster, this film will be constantly screaming symbolism at you :D. A beautiful tale, for all ages who can understand the deeper side of humanity. 5 out of 5 stars, indefinitely (I wish I could give more).
Adult Written byBoxscorboy April 9, 2008

Great movie, nice unique message

I and my family loved the movie. Not at all what you think. The sex doll is downplayed, the man's emotional issues are the real story. Loved it!!
Adult Written bywonder dove December 28, 2012

Cute flick with meaning!

Lars and the Real Girl is a beautifully told story about a painfully shy guy named Lars who's basically a loner and dislikes being around crowds. He's never had a girlfriend but a nice girl at his work appears to have eyes for him. When his co-worker tells Lars about a site selling life-sized sex dolls, Lars secretly orders one and calls her Bianca. Although, he never actually uses her for what she was built for, Lars believes she is his girlfriend and introduces her to his brother and sister-in-law. Things get funny when they think he has completely lost his mind but eventually they all go along with it and treat Bianca like a real human being. Luring Lars into taking his girl to get regular "check ups", he is actually the one getting help by talking to a psychiatrist and addressing his own real problems deep down. It really is a touching movie, but it's on the slow side. Ryan Gosling is lovable! No real violence, sexuality is mild, language is very mild, some smoking. I knocked one star off due to the pace of the movie which is kind of slow, but the actual story is excellent to curl up to in a blanket with hot chocolate :) Adults would appreciate it more but safe for 14++ crowd.