All teen and kid member reviews for Lars and the Real Girl

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

I really don't understand how CSM can rate this only two stars

Here is a beautifully simple film that doesn't try to be anything or try to do anything other than tell an original story. After seeing trailers for it on an indie movie site, and seeing what a great cast and concept it had, I looked forward to this movie greatly-- and I was not disappointed at all. There was a simple just pleasure and spark of movie magic that came from the film-- something that movies seriously lack nowadays, even the greatest of films. I wish I could talk about it, but it feels like that magic is destroyed picking apart the film. What I will say however is that this film is one of the best films this year (it easily outshines movies such as the over-hyped Michael Clayton or the pathetic Saw IV), and is very well-worth anyone's time to invest in. (I wrote that part back in October of 2007 for another site, so that's without taking such incredible movies as No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.) That being said also, as another review put it on another site, the movie is also about how the community comes together selflessly to help take care of someone who needs their help-- something that is obviously a good message. And while some people have complained that the film was too calculating in its sweetness and emotion, but I think the only people who would have that kind of problem with the film are those who actively analyze a film while watching it. If you want a sweet, funny but also serious, film that works as a breath of fresh air amongst all the somber movies that are so sure they are saying something, this comes highly reccommended.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 27, 2012

Quiet and thought-provoking

Ryan Gosling is really what's worth viewing this quiet, if a little overlong and repetitive indie movie. His performance has great nuances (notice how he blinks so hard in every scene like he's holding back painful memories) and Mortimer is great a woman who just wants to help him. It's worth a good quiet, Sunday view.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotatoTaco99 June 1, 2013

To Laugh, or not to Laugh?

'Lars and the Real Girl' is one of the few movies ever made which you leaves unsure whether you want to laugh like a maniac or bawl like a baby. It is a beautiful, quirky movie like no other, and will leave you thinking about it for days. The positive role-models are the townspeople, the way they support Lars' delusion and go along with it, and love him nonetheless. It's a good lesson of unconditional love. Swearing isn't used excessively, but there was a few words here and there. Despite the doll herself, raunchiness is kept to a minimum. However, I believe you must be a bit older to appreciate this movie, seeing as some of the elements and emotions go pretty deep. It depends on the person, but I think around 13 is a good age. In order to truly enjoy this movie, you have to be in a certain state of mind--one in which you aren't expecting your run of the mill Hollywood movie. But it is DEFINITELY worth seeing.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysweetbeat April 9, 2008