Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Like a Boss

Raunchy jokes, sex, and language in female buddy comedy.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written bySlurpeefrap January 24, 2020

Sweet, rootable, funny underdog story

Could've been a lot tighter and tidied up and there's a bit of flaws narratively, but all in all, a sweet, rootable, and funny underdog story!

Tiffany Haddish and Rose Byrne both work really well together! Karan Soni ("Deadpool", "Office Christmas Party"), Jennifer Coolidge ("A Cindrella Story", "Best In Show"), Natasha Rothwell (from Isa Rae's HBO series "Insecure"), Ari Graynor ("Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist", "Avenues"), Billy Porter, and United Citizens Brigade alumni Jessica St. Clair steal a lot of scenes too! Especially in the dinner scene, this is the most fun and loose I've seen Ari Graynor in a movie since "The Sitter"! I could tell Miguel Artera let them improv a lot! Ari, Natasha, Jessica and their characters especially really smoothened the mood out a lot during the dinner scene with a lot of their funny lines cause during this scene, Tiffany and Rose's characters (Mel and Mia) were starting to have a lot of conflict due to Clair Luna (Salma Hayek, whom is also really good at portraying this really stuck up, sour, and discouraging character). Ryan Hansen and Jimmy O'Yang are sadly wasted as Tiffany and Rose's sexist competition. They're not mean to Mia and Mel or anything, their ideals just aren't in the right place at all. Ryan gets a few funny lines in, but Jimmy barely gets to do anything really. It was basically his "Happytime Murders" role all over again in an extended version (where he played one of the cops with no lines, whom Melissa McCarthy gets mad at in the beginning).

I think the message is great about staying true to your voice and what you believe. Most of the time whenever Clair Luna's in the movie, she's CONSTANTLY trying to pit Mel and Mia against each other. At nearly every turn, trying to tear apart their beautiful ideas, break down the community they've built, and just all out attempts to misguide Mel into directions she knows in her heart she doesn't want to go in. Mia has suspicions about Clair from the very get go, but one of the biggest character arcs for Mel is that she's often times scared to stand up and enforce her ethics (a flaw that she thankfully blossoms out of by the end of the film.) She's really nice to Clair (as she is to everyone), but doesn't stand up to her when she's putting her and Mia in unnecessary scenarios that either sabotage their vision or jeopardize their partner/friend's career. Whereas, Mia is much more vocal when she's uncomfortable with something. I think they're both great role models, but both of them evolve throughout all the drama with Clair Luna. It causes them to confront each other and clear up unresolved conflicts, not only with themselves, but with each other especially. And makes their personal life and work life a lot more healthier.

In terms of parental guidance, the film is rated R and a lot the content and humor is very edgy/mature so only show it's only for mature teenagers and up.

I'll also say that I personally understand where Joyce Slaton is coming from when she mentioned female writers. Not all the time, but often times, if women are writing films about women, it often feels a bit more authentic as they themselves are women (like Annie Mumolo with "Bridesmaids" and Kenya Barris and Tracy Oliver with "Girls Trip")

Parent Written byTami L. January 20, 2020

Selma Hayek Can’t Save This Train Wreck

This film is not funny and was a waste of money. Poor Giffany Haddish is typecast again playing the same foul mouthed, oversexed, carefree dumb girl while Rose Byrne is is typecast as the upstight, serious, business-minded of the two business partners. Selma Hayek plays a ruthless business woman who takes control of their company and works really hard to break up their life long friendship. The movie does a good job at depicting women in a man’s business world; friendship; and supporting each other. It also shows how caddy and petty women can be and the stereotypical woman boss which is tired and not productive in today’s society. It has a lot of sex , sex talk, sex innuendo, and sex references. It has a lot of cursing. The acting is terrible and the stars are wasted. It does not really show women in a good light. There humor is tired and there are no laugh-out-loud moments. It really is a bomb. I went with a group of gal pals and we had decent expectations. We wished we could have gotten our money back. We all thought it was terrible. This movie is raunchy and not for under 16.

Adult Written byD D January 12, 2020

Another bad, incomplete review by this reviewer

A bad review by this reviewer has some incorrect and incomplete items in the review. For one, the reviewer seems to take a misandrist view about men regarding how women in this film use the b-word to describe each other and that this movie was written by all men as a way to criticize the film. I don’t think this reviewer has been around women these days. Many women refer to each other using the b-word in a playful manner. Even the ladies of “The View” have done it on the air. Secondly, there was in fact a female writer for this film, so this reviewer is incorrect in this regard, and therefore the misandrist view bashing men in this review was uncalled for.

The reviewer also failed to mention that during a baby shower scene, there was a very graphic “vagina” cake that was shown multiple times in closeup with a fake baby’s head poking out (crowning). The cake depicts pubic hair, vagina and labia. It’s strange that this reviewer seems to always avoid mentioning female genitalia, as was done in other reviews like her review of the TV show “Sex Education” all the while not having problems mentioning male genitalia in her reviews.