Parent reviews for Lion

Lion Poster Image

Should be rated M in Australia

While this movie had a good plot, it should be rated much higher than PG due to the frequency of adult themes. Almost all the adults are exploitative and child abuse is only thinly veiled.

Excellent but harrowing movie

This is an amazing movie. Gripping and beautifully made. But it's incredibly disturbing in parts, and there's no way I'd show it to a child or teenager. There is a scary scene where children are snatched while sleeping rough, and another where a strange man gets into bed with 5-year-old Saroo and starts stroking him. The abuse in the orphanage is mainly implied but utterly horrific, including a small boy being taken from his bed in the night and given to a man who is told to have him back before the morning. Also disturbing is the way that countless adults, including those in authority, turn a blind eye while children are abducted or abused. This is a brilliant film, but I found it haunting and harrowing. Not suitable for children.

Family ties can be so strong

Suspense is woven through the whole movie. Amazing story of understanding family and roots. If the child trafficking scene and the bedroom scenes of him and his girlfriend in their uni days was minimised or removed, it would be a cleaner movie for younger children. Many great messages and a powerful ending.

Should be rated R

Children in peril in overt sexual situations. Warnings do not do this film justice. I wouldn’t want any of my children to see it because of the way the child/abduction rape places the viewer in the eyes of the attacker. I am in my 30’s and I am too young to see this film

Child trafficking life lessons

My 11 yr old was VERY upset with the whole child trafficking segment-but I am okay with that. I figure it's like teaching them that the stove is hot. Most folks don't figure it out until they actually get close. Sex is always my biggest concern. We know that it happens frequently but never see it so I was okay with it. Getting to know India was fascinating. In the end, even though the 11 yr old, 14 yr old AND my wife all gave me grief for picking such a HEAVY move, they all gave it 5 stars.

Best Movie

It’s very emotional,great role model. My son and I enjoyed it and he is conscientious of many values as family member. CEGO

Movie good/Book better

This movie is based on a true story found in a book, "A Long Way Home," which I found to be riveting. The movie, while also good, sometimes has difficulty bringing all of Saroo's experiences to life as he describes them in his book. The main cautions for parents in this movie from my perspective are some intense scenes of children in peril and implied premarital sex(Saroo is shown in bed with his girlfriend). Also, the scenes in India are primarily spoken in the Hindi language, with English subtitles. That was no problem for me since I am a foreign film fan, but children younger than 11 might struggle to be able to read the subtitles and understand the dialogue.

Amazing!

Was so amazing! So heart touching, would recommend

Outstanding movie about self-reliance and perseverance

It's a shame that a 17 yr old reviewer got nothing out of this movie and gave it one star, describing it apparently as an unnecessary documentary, because it's not a documentary, and such a dismissive attitude reveals how little he understood the movie. Because I had seen the 60 Minutes segment on the real people the movie covers, I had decided I didn't need to see it, but the high ratings kept the movie under consideration. The ratings are right; the movie is outstanding. Having seen it once, I'm taking my 12 year-old sons to see the movie because I want them to have confidence that they can survive on their own, if required, and to know what it means to rely on their instincts. I want them to see how a young child with nothing managed to survive in a very hostile environment. Witnessing these experiences can build confidence. I want them to understand the value of persistence. I want them to understand the value of adoption, and the boundless love that good parents are capable of giving. I want my sons to see a world without running water, social services or decent jobs so that they don't take things for granted and can have compassion for others. The movie is not without its moments that give me pause about taking them at this age, but I think there is more value in taking them than postponing. Seeing it on the big screen is impactful.