Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Little Monsters

Beetlejuice wannabe with potty talk, a bit of heart.

Adult Written byheybrubakers4 November 5, 2011

THIS MOVIE HAS PROBLEMS YOU NEVER WANT TO ENCOUNTER

THIS IS A HORRIBLE MOVIE! Very inappropriate scenes and talk. Women are used as sex objects, and the main character watches a show dedicated to just that. One scene even includes the monster peeing in a bottle of apple juice as a prank (from the back side though). Bad language is used constantly throughout the movie. This includes p***, b*****, d***, s***, and others. Violent character RIPS KID'S HEAD OFF, after torturing him! Disturbing, violent, crude, inappropriate! Note to parents: Don't ever let your kids see this movie! KEEP THEIR MINDS SAFE. Don't let this horror into them. IT IS JUST COMPLETELY TERRIBLE STUFF!

Adult Written byardellm July 1, 2015

One of my favorites from my childhood.

I was almost three when I first saw this movie and it quickly became one of my favorites. My parents actually had to buy me my own copy because I didn't want to return the rental to the store. I think whether or not it is appropriate for a child depends on the child and the parent. My mother used Little Monsters as a tool to teach me about the nature of people and to get me to stop being afraid of monsters. She explained that like the monsters in the movie, there are good people and bad people. Just because some people (or monsters) may turn out to be bad didn't mean that you should avoid all people (or monsters) because then you miss out on the good ones. If your child is easily traumatized or you don't want to take the time to explain this principle, you probably shouldn't show them this movie. If not, go right ahead. Children are much easier to deal with if they can and will deal with their own monsters, and learn to overcome the ones that scare them.

Adult Written bywonder dove September 16, 2012

Great Underrated Monster Movie!

Let me start off by saying I first watched this movie when my mother taped it on TV when I was around 8. I loved it, and still do. Back then, bad words were dubbed so there was nothing bad I remember hearing. I bought the movie on DVD some years ago and I seriously cannot believe how much bad language is in it!!! Especially for a movie targeted towards kids. But - the movie is very fun and entertaining. Little brother Eric (Played by Ben Savage) hears noises and sees shadows in his bedroom which have him screaming half the night. He convinces his older brother Brian (played by Fred Savage - Ben's real-life brother) to switch bedrooms with him so he can prove there really are monsters. From there on, Brian discovers a real-life monster under his bed (Played by Howie Mandel). The two soon become best friends when Maurice the monster introduces Brian to his secret under world where only monsters rule. In monster world, there are no rules or adult supervision. After spending most of his time with Maurice, Brian learns that he is actually turning into a monster himself! Now the language is persistent (lots of uses of the word sh*t by kids, holy sh*t, p*ss, hell, b*tch, @ss, goddamn). Sexual references (Maurice pulls Brian's pants down and a girl monster says "Nice @ss!) some references to sex but not too graphic (like playing with yourself, a man's best friend is his right hand, reference to the playboy channel...etc) a boy crushes on a girl. Lots of violence (kid gets his eyes pushed in and his head ripped off, kids get bullied, violent monster play, explosives, monster pees in a school boy's apple-juice bottle, kids play pranks on each other...etc). The scare factor is huge for youngsters, it's super scary with frightening situations (a new born baby is terrorized by scary monsters for fun), the Master Monster "Boyd" is very scary and mean. Overall, the film is super funny and cool but the bad stuff is mainly humorous and fantasy - probably overlooked by most children. Watch it first before letting your young ones see it. For mature ages 9 and up but better targeted toward tweens and teens!

Adult Written byGeoCPU November 22, 2010

Watch Out! I was snookered by the On for 8+ common sense rating this had.

There is much too much in the way of questionable language, inuendo, and lude references in this movie for preteens to be watching it. We turned it off less than half-way through. The ultimate message may be positive, but you would have to wade through too much garbage to get to it. Different strokes for different folks, but I was shocked at the content based on the On for 8+ that this movie had.

Adult Written byBrenton B. April 22, 2017

Loved this movie as a kid! As a parent however...

I wish there wasn't so much bad language. There is no need. Other parents have covered the troublesome topics. Don't let your young children watch this.

Parent Written byLisa 1 April 21, 2016

age 8 is way too young

This movie is scary and leaves an uncomfortable feeling over all.
Adult Written byLisa H. January 21, 2017

Amazing movie, must watch

I grew up watching this movie and still love it to this day! It's the Kind of monster movie that makes you want a monster under your bed, I remember watching this movie at a very young age, then going under my bed hoping to find Maurice. Yes the movie does have swearing and some scene with that may be considered inappropriate in this day and age, but It's nothing compared to the music and movies that the kids are likely to see nowadays. Give the movie a chance, I think you will be surprised by how much you love it.
Adult Written bymoviemummy July 25, 2015

Very Bad

I wouldn't recommend this movie for any age. The acting is bad, the plot is terrible, the attempts at humor are completely inappropriate for kids, and the scary bits go way overboard. This movie is really dark, both visually and thematically. There are many other better monster movies for kids. SKIP THIS ONE!

Adult Written byGem92377 September 3, 2018

Inappropriate for kids/preteens

Completely inappropriate content for a "kids" movie. No need at all for the foul language, gross over the top pranks, and inappropriate jokes. 12 plus at least. Could have been a good movie, and could have easily been done without all the over the top crap.

Adult Written bysarahc152 October 30, 2018

Monsters aren’t all bad

One of my favorite 80’s childhood movies. It teaches not all monsters are bad. Like Most great 80’s movies it does have smoking and inappropriate language . It was the 80’s and it was great! Family movies now are so vanilla; very plain.
Adult Written bynjhna h. May 22, 2018

inappropriate scenes & language

it is bad because it has strong language a lot & there is this guy that smokes a lot. & i recommend kids not to watch this !