Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Little Red Wagon

Inspiring story of a boy's efforts to help homeless kids.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written bySully February 28, 2015

One person, big difference, not for younger children

This movie seems like it should have been on Lifetime or the Hallmark channel. If it weren't based on a true story I would have turned it off. The story follows two families... the boy raising awareness for homeless children and a mother/son who find themselves homeless. Those two storylines would have been sufficient, but added was the conflict between the hero's sister and their mother with some alarming disagreements. The movie is rated PG, which is surprising given the daughter's mouth... "My life sucks", "I don't give a [email protected]%n", "a$$-crack of dawn" and a few other choice lines. The mother/son homeless storyline is heartbreaking and really shows how awful and desperate their situation is. It might be too much for younger children. The boy also falls and hurts his arm and they show a bit of blood. The hero and his mom, along with the homeless mother/son are fantastic stories, even if a little Hallmark-ie. It's got a great message and role models with the exception of the daughter. I could've done without her storyline, especially if it was embellished for the sake of the movie.

Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written bydanamarie262 February 29, 2016

Shows how even ayoung child can help others in a significant way

For exact details, you can read the summary on the main page, but I found this movie to be very good. The story of a young boy who at the age of 7 cared enough about others to go out and collect items for hurricane victims, and later for homeless children- is bound to make an impact on your children, and on yourself. We live in a sheltered suburb where homelessness is not something my children have ever seen or even know what to do with the term. The film showed how homelessness occurred through a series of unfortunate events that a recently widowed mom and her son experienced. I think this gives kids great compassion for homeless because this family was a "regular" family before tragedy struck and kids can identify with the young boy who is leaving all his stuff behind. This part of the movie is likely a little intense for some children, but it lends to excellent discussion. Our kids have brought up questions about "what happens if Daddy loses his job"- and we've been able to explain how we have saved money for emergencies, how it's important to not spend more than you have, and that our faith will sustain us and help us. Our kids also had a difficult time when the homeless mom steals a sandwich for her son after he breaks his arm and she has no money. It was a source of angst for the character as well, and my 8 year old said that even though the choice was steal or let the boy be hungry, the mom should have asked for help instead of stealing. The sister in the movie is a bit of a pill, she's self absorbed and doesn't want to help her brother initially with collecting items for hurricane victims and then eventually becomes jealous of her brother and almost sabotages his efforts by abandoning them on the last leg of the march to Tallahassee. I don't know if it was added for cinematic effect or not, but I do think this conflict adds value to the holistic message. If you are going to do something worthwhile and good and noble, it isn't always going to be easy. There will be people that do not support or help your efforts. There will be conflicts and things that do not go according to plan, but these obstacles can be overcome.