Parent reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Comic book creepiness, jazzy tunes, and fab cast.

Adult Written bynduns May 3, 2010

Anyone could tell you this isn't a kid's movie

I mean, come on, Audrey II uses words like Sh*t and A**. That alone is more than enough to give you the idea. Nonetheless, it's not too bad for teens. The goriest it really gets is showing an arm after a guy gets chopped up, but that's about it and you don't even see realistic-looking blood. I guess the only thing I can really say against this film (To explain the missing star) is that it can get too weird at times even for its own twisted interpretation of Skid Row. (Even if that is part of what makes it laugh-out-loud hilarious)

Adult Written bySpencer H. August 1, 2020

Wonderful musical, not for younger children, fine for teenagers and up

Considering this came out in 1986, a time where PG rated films really were closer to PG-13 or even a soft R rating, this one actually did get a deserved PG-13. I am not a big musical fan but this is an exception. Rick Moranis is just fine in the lead role and has a surprisingly good singing voice. Who would have thought the dad from Honey I Shrunk the Kids had that hidden talent? Steve Martin in a supporting performance is hilarious as a sadistic, violent dentist and the songs and interactions with the man eating plant are entertaining and witty ad well. That being said this is no "Sound of Music" to watch with little ones. There is some violence including a brief, non-graphic moment of domestic violence, there is some blood as Moranis feeds his plant, though it is not graphic, and it has a very dark albeit funny theme to it as a whole. Also the language is definitely a red flag. No f words but plenty of GD's, balls, the s and a words, damn and hell tough titty. just to name a few. So it is very entertaining and well done and the songs are wonderful. Frank Oz aka Yoda, Miss Piggy does a fine directing job and the cast is excellent, the sets are well done and the songs are not in other musical where they have the potential to annoy or wear out their welcome. They are catchy, memorable, well written and sung. For 13 and up this should be fine. Younger kids might be able to see it with heavy adult supervision but may not understand the humor or situations. For teens and up enjoy. Have some big laughs especially from Steve Martin's character and enjoy one of the few good musicals in my personal opinion that Hollywood has offered us.

Adult Written byAlexandria C. September 7, 2019
When I was 7 my parents let me watch Little shop of horror I really didn't understand it but I remember loving that movie and re-watching it over and over again and i still love that movie today
Parent of a 2, 4, and 9-year-old Written byJanet P. August 19, 2019

Fabulous!

We love it! It’s a great movie to watch with an older child. We had a conversation about Audrey being abused and some of the other content. My daughter loves the songs and we can’t wait until the little ones are able to watch it!
Parent of a 11-year-old Written bycoolmom11 August 18, 2019

not at all 12+

This is a great movie which I think all ages can watch.

Adult Written byTeej007 June 23, 2019

It's fine for kids

You really have to know your kids. Mine weren't freaked out by ghostbusters, so I had no hesitation showing them this. It opened up some good discussions around domestic violence, which was great as we have two little girls. Good conversations to be had about drug abuse as well. For kids like ours, I highly recommend.
Adult Written byCamron March 31, 2019

Adult Written byGamer4056 October 20, 2018

Little Shop of Horrors Parent Guide

This is an old popular movie musical based on an old musical show about a guy who finds a venus flytrap-like plant that drinks blood like vampires and mosquitoes. Some funny moments are present. Violence: Audrey II the plant, tries to bite his owner's bleeding finger twice before his owner squeezed the blood out of his cut to feed the plant. A mentally unstable dentist violently tortures his patients. The mentally unstable dentist accidentally kills himself with a dentist tool by putting it on over his head like a psycho. Audrey II's owner takes the dead body with him to slice it up and feed it to the plant because the dentist been abusing Audrey, the dentist's girlfriend until the day he died. Audrey II eats his owner's boss in the flower shop. Audrey II tries to eat Audrey. After Audrey dies from her wounds, Audrey II's owner feeds her to the plant. Some gun violence. At some point, a few Audrey II look-a-likes take over the world and destroy everything in their path. Alcohol drinking/drugs/smoking: Not much. Mild Language: Some cursing used including the word "slut". Since it is a kids movie, there are no clues given on what the word means. Audrey II uses curse words. Crude humor: Audrey II makes two crude gestures. Rude humor: Audrey II says rude things. Nudity: None. Sexual content: None. No sex scenes. Great messages: Learning what is right and wrong. Shows people that bad consequences could happen if you trust someone evil like Audrey II.

Adult Written byWesley D. June 10, 2018

don't remember all of it but what I do remember its not so bad

he says "d*mn

Adult Written byMarek B. April 27, 2018

Very dated

Normalized domestic violence against the main female character. Continuous references to money as the primary objective in life. Stereotypical portrayals of minorities. The main baddie is constantly high on nitrous oxide.

Film develops into a weird comedy but it carries zero positive messages to children.

Adult Written bysharvahw January 5, 2016

Parent Written bychlewis899 January 18, 2015

great musical but a bit of language

I expected the sh** and a** words based on other reviews but I was surprised that the gd*** word is dropped a few times!

Adult Written byhomealonefan123 August 2, 2014

Brilliantly acted, great music, lots of laughs, a 5 star musical!

Parents need to know that this is one of the best movies ever made, but it is not for young children or people who are scared easily. Although the movie has many funny comedic moments, there are also scenes that may frighten them, including the dentist scenes and the final scenes with Audrey II. The violence is very mild and comical, but a few people are eaten by the plant, which no blood is ever shown, and the first feeding scene may be a bit disturbing, but it is comical. There is a bit of swearing in the movie, (a couple uses of sh-t, and a few uses of damn and hell here and there). There is a tiny bit of sexual innuendo, and the dentist uses laughing gas in a somewhat creepy way. But not much of the creepiness is meant to be taken seriously because it is pretty much a comedy, the movie is very funny, it has fantastic acting, it has a great story, and the music is spectacular! It is best to wait until your kids are maybe 10 if they can handle some of the content.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

I hate most 80s movies,but I loved this!

This is a great movie! Great action,it was fun,ect.I'd recommend Little Shop of Horrors to ANYONE!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 30, 2012

NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING!

My parents wanted me to watch this movie, so I gave it a shot. At first, I thought the movie wasn't going anywhere, but as it continued on, I could see why the movie is called "Little Shop of Horrors"! I really like this movie now! Even though it is so 80's, I like it!

Adult Written byderek642 September 8, 2011

Grew up on it, so kinda bias, but...

I grew up with a Music teacher mom, so I saw this movie pretty young, but watching it now, and thinking about having our kids (11 and 12) watch it is tough. we are very good about protecting them from tv/movies with language and sexual content and gore.

For me, I have a bias opinion with this one because I love the music and movie because I grew up watching it a lot. I would say because of how outrageously fictional it is (huge man-eating plant, kinda corny in some spots) if you explain to your kids (at least 13) about the movie and what you expect them to watch but not repeat (both language and actions) it's a classic musical.

From listening to the music from it again more lately, the plant REALLY has a foul mouth in it's songs, especially the last song of the movie, so be prepared for that, but I would still recommend it (again, kinda bias though)! :-) ~Derek

Adult Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 21, 2011

cooooooooooool

A awesome movie there is a bit of creepy stuff like chopping up a dentist but it's still cool

Adult Written bycaitlin414 December 19, 2009

Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Kinda creepy musical

My little sisters watched this when they were 9, and they absolutely loved it! I was with them, and I was 12, and I was totally creeped out. The main character chops up another character to feed his plant. And the dentist freaks me out a lot too. He abuses laughing gas, and the song he sings is funny, but if a kid 7 or under hears a bit of it, they'll try and stay clear of the dentist for a long time.

Adult Written byMovie Man August 18, 2009

Creepy, Violent Musical has Outstanding Musical Numbers!

This is a pretty good movie, but I would just buy the soundtrtack instead. You're not missing much if you skip the movie; in fact, the movie itself is quite creepy (granted, some songs are creepy) and violent; many characters are chopped up and one person adores inflicting pain (although he does a great musical number). The cast is good, yes, but it's not as funny as you might think, especially with Rick Moranis, Steve Martin, and Bill Murray in it. Now, the soundtrack/musical numbers: spectacular! I adore some of the songs in this movie. So, just buy the soundtrack and you'll be golden.