Parent reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors Poster Image

Upsetting to watch

The domestic violence/sadism in the relationship between Audrey and the dentist is really upsetting, and definitely would be for children as well. The movie is aggressively sexist, with racist undertones. It aged terribly, but I don’t really know how they got away with a movie this violently sexist being so famous or being viewed as a comedy. Audrey is an extremely upsetting portrayal of a super submissive, gentle woman/basically a servant stuck in an abusive relationship, and an awful female role model. Kids have nothing to gain from watching this movie.

4 people found this helpful.

Upsetting moments

Watched this when I was a kid and our babysitter let us sit up to see it on TV. I must have been around 9. I remember loving it, but found certain scenes really disturbing and they really haunted me. It was actually particularly the dentist scenes, and the girl coming out of the room with a hideous structure screwed into her face. It really upset me, and made me afraid of dentists for a long time.

1 person found this helpful.

Wonderful musical, not for younger children, fine for teenagers and up

Considering this came out in 1986, a time where PG rated films really were closer to PG-13 or even a soft R rating, this one actually did get a deserved PG-13. I am not a big musical fan but this is an exception. Rick Moranis is just fine in the lead role and has a surprisingly good singing voice. Who would have thought the dad from Honey I Shrunk the Kids had that hidden talent? Steve Martin in a supporting performance is hilarious as a sadistic, violent dentist and the songs and interactions with the man eating plant are entertaining and witty ad well. That being said this is no "Sound of Music" to watch with little ones. There is some violence including a brief, non-graphic moment of domestic violence, there is some blood as Moranis feeds his plant, though it is not graphic, and it has a very dark albeit funny theme to it as a whole. Also the language is definitely a red flag. No f words but plenty of GD's, balls, the s and a words, damn and hell tough titty. just to name a few. So it is very entertaining and well done and the songs are wonderful. Frank Oz aka Yoda, Miss Piggy does a fine directing job and the cast is excellent, the sets are well done and the songs are not in other musical where they have the potential to annoy or wear out their welcome. They are catchy, memorable, well written and sung. For 13 and up this should be fine. Younger kids might be able to see it with heavy adult supervision but may not understand the humor or situations. For teens and up enjoy. Have some big laughs especially from Steve Martin's character and enjoy one of the few good musicals in my personal opinion that Hollywood has offered us.

1 person found this helpful.
When I was 7 my parents let me watch Little shop of horror I really didn't understand it but I remember loving that movie and re-watching it over and over again and i still love that movie today

Fabulous!

We love it! It’s a great movie to watch with an older child. We had a conversation about Audrey being abused and some of the other content. My daughter loves the songs and we can’t wait until the little ones are able to watch it!

not at all 12+

This is a great movie which I think all ages can watch.

It's fine for kids

You really have to know your kids. Mine weren't freaked out by ghostbusters, so I had no hesitation showing them this. It opened up some good discussions around domestic violence, which was great as we have two little girls. Good conversations to be had about drug abuse as well. For kids like ours, I highly recommend.

Little Shop of Horrors Parent Guide

This is an old popular movie musical based on an old musical show about a guy who finds a venus flytrap-like plant that drinks blood like vampires and mosquitoes. Some funny moments are present. Violence: Audrey II the plant, tries to bite his owner's bleeding finger twice before his owner squeezed the blood out of his cut to feed the plant. A mentally unstable dentist violently tortures his patients. The mentally unstable dentist accidentally kills himself with a dentist tool by putting it on over his head like a psycho. Audrey II's owner takes the dead body with him to slice it up and feed it to the plant because the dentist been abusing Audrey, the dentist's girlfriend until the day he died. Audrey II eats his owner's boss in the flower shop. Audrey II tries to eat Audrey. After Audrey dies from her wounds, Audrey II's owner feeds her to the plant. Some gun violence. At some point, a few Audrey II look-a-likes take over the world and destroy everything in their path. Alcohol drinking/drugs/smoking: Not much. Mild Language: Some cursing used including the word "slut". Since it is a kids movie, there are no clues given on what the word means. Audrey II uses curse words. Crude humor: Audrey II makes two crude gestures. Rude humor: Audrey II says rude things. Nudity: None. Sexual content: None. No sex scenes. Great messages: Learning what is right and wrong. Shows people that bad consequences could happen if you trust someone evil like Audrey II.

don't remember all of it but what I do remember its not so bad

he says "d*mn