All parent member reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Adult Written bycaitlin414 December 19, 2009

Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Kinda creepy musical

My little sisters watched this when they were 9, and they absolutely loved it! I was with them, and I was 12, and I was totally creeped out. The main character chops up another character to feed his plant. And the dentist freaks me out a lot too. He abuses laughing gas, and the song he sings is funny, but if a kid 7 or under hears a bit of it, they'll try and stay clear of the dentist for a long time.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 18, 2009

Creepy, Violent Musical has Outstanding Musical Numbers!

This is a pretty good movie, but I would just buy the soundtrtack instead. You're not missing much if you skip the movie; in fact, the movie itself is quite creepy (granted, some songs are creepy) and violent; many characters are chopped up and one person adores inflicting pain (although he does a great musical number). The cast is good, yes, but it's not as funny as you might think, especially with Rick Moranis, Steve Martin, and Bill Murray in it. Now, the soundtrack/musical numbers: spectacular! I adore some of the songs in this movie. So, just buy the soundtrack and you'll be golden.
Parent Written byderek642 September 8, 2011

Grew up on it, so kinda bias, but...

I grew up with a Music teacher mom, so I saw this movie pretty young, but watching it now, and thinking about having our kids (11 and 12) watch it is tough. we are very good about protecting them from tv/movies with language and sexual content and gore. For me, I have a bias opinion with this one because I love the music and movie because I grew up watching it a lot. I would say because of how outrageously fictional it is (huge man-eating plant, kinda corny in some spots) if you explain to your kids (at least 13) about the movie and what you expect them to watch but not repeat (both language and actions) it's a classic musical. From listening to the music from it again more lately, the plant REALLY has a foul mouth in it's songs, especially the last song of the movie, so be prepared for that, but I would still recommend it (again, kinda bias though)! :-) ~Derek
Parent Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 21, 2011

cooooooooooool

A awesome movie there is a bit of creepy stuff like chopping up a dentist but it's still cool
Adult Written bynduns May 3, 2010

Anyone could tell you this isn't a kid's movie

I mean, come on, Audrey II uses words like Sh*t and A**. That alone is more than enough to give you the idea. Nonetheless, it's not too bad for teens. The goriest it really gets is showing an arm after a guy gets chopped up, but that's about it and you don't even see realistic-looking blood. I guess the only thing I can really say against this film (To explain the missing star) is that it can get too weird at times even for its own twisted interpretation of Skid Row. (Even if that is part of what makes it laugh-out-loud hilarious)
Adult Written bytphillips April 9, 2008

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

I hate most 80s movies,but I loved this!

This is a great movie! Great action,it was fun,ect.I'd recommend Little Shop of Horrors to ANYONE!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 30, 2012

NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING!

My parents wanted me to watch this movie, so I gave it a shot. At first, I thought the movie wasn't going anywhere, but as it continued on, I could see why the movie is called "Little Shop of Horrors"! I really like this movie now! Even though it is so 80's, I like it!
Parent Written bychlewis899 January 18, 2015

great musical but a bit of language

I expected the sh** and a** words based on other reviews but I was surprised that the gd*** word is dropped a few times!
Adult Written byhomealonefan123 August 2, 2014

Brilliantly acted, great music, lots of laughs, a 5 star musical!

Parents need to know that this is one of the best movies ever made, but it is not for young children or people who are scared easily. Although the movie has many funny comedic moments, there are also scenes that may frighten them, including the dentist scenes and the final scenes with Audrey II. The violence is very mild and comical, but a few people are eaten by the plant, which no blood is ever shown, and the first feeding scene may be a bit disturbing, but it is comical. There is a bit of swearing in the movie, (a couple uses of sh-t, and a few uses of damn and hell here and there). There is a tiny bit of sexual innuendo, and the dentist uses laughing gas in a somewhat creepy way. But not much of the creepiness is meant to be taken seriously because it is pretty much a comedy, the movie is very funny, it has fantastic acting, it has a great story, and the music is spectacular! It is best to wait until your kids are maybe 10 if they can handle some of the content.