Kid reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Comic book creepiness, jazzy tunes, and fab cast.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf July 21, 2010

Pretty Funny, good movie adaptation

Violence? Seriously? Seymour feeds Audrey II newspapers and a boot instead of chopped-up-dentist! There is zero gore in this movie. The most violent part involves off-screen sound effects. The sadistic dentist, played by Steve Martin, is hilarious. Even a little kid who didn't find the dentist funny would only find him mildly scary. And there isn't a ton of swearing either. By the way, a plant that sings the blues is, like steve martin being a sadistic dentist, funny NOT scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydoggydogdoggy50 April 30, 2020

Great Musical Numbers! Some swearing but Great Musical Numbers!

This was a great movie!

Violence, 6/10

There was a bit of gun violence in one of the musical numbers, in the same musical number the main character (Seymour Krelborn) Gets injured a few times, and obviously there is the part where almost everyone gets eaten. It's pretty depressing.

Drugs 4/10

The Dentist (Orin) abuses drugs a lot, which leads to his death.

Sex 3/10

After Suddenly Seymour (a musical number) ends Audrey and Seymour kiss a bit, Orin abuses Audrey behind curtains, and Audrey II (The plant) does put the moves on Audrey (the girl, not to be confused with Audrey II) before killing her

Swearing 4/10

Sh*t is said twice A*s is said once and hell a few times

Overall entertainment 9.5/10
Kid, 10 years old September 26, 2012

My favorite movie of all time!!

This is my favorite movie of all time, by a long shot. There is like no violence whatsoever, and the feeding scene isn't graphic AT ALL. That trail of blood wouldn't fool or scare a four year old, and it's supposed to be that way. Infact, my four year old stepsister has seen the whole movie and doesn't flinch or look away at anytime, she just laughs. The plant has a trash mouth, no doubt about it, especially in the final scene. I first watched this a few months ago, but I could have handled it by the age of two. The average six year old will probubly be green light, maybe younger. Just know your kid.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 7, 2012

Not really violent.

Watched it when i was 7. I hate any blood, fake or real, but this movie has NONE.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 26, 2010

Words Can't Describe My Love For This Movie

I am in love with this movie. I love the play, too. A friend of mine and I are directing our own version of the play in which I am the voice of Audrey II, which is the evil plant. I can't wait! Anyway, This movie is creepy, but totally hilarious. Creepy humor is my sort of thing. It might be too scary for little kids, particularly the plant, but I know when I was watching it for the first time at age 8 I just thought the plant was funny. All the people I know love it. I say give it a try, you'll probably love it.

Kid, 8 years old July 24, 2020
Not very violent or gory sadistic dentist isn’t
Scary at all but kind of funny a little swearing like s**t and a** g**d***it

Teen, 13 years old Written byRichGirl1245 June 27, 2020

WAS NOT SCARY AT ALL

This was not scary at all. Kids, watch this one because you will enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written by80smoviekid November 1, 2019

Great Movie!

This was a great movie that I recommend seeing. It is about a poor man named Seymour that finds an exotic plant that eats blood. The story gets more interesting from there. The only gore is when Seymour cuts his finger or when he feeds the dentist to the plant. Nothing is shown, the dentist is wrapped up in newspaper. Orin (The sadistic dentist) could be a little scary to young kids, and his violence towards Audrey might need some explaining to 9 or 10 year olds, but other than that, most kids shouldn't have a problem with it! (There is some swearing but most kids are fine with swears)

Kid, 7 years old August 8, 2019

Awesome movie

This is my favorite movie. Great songs, great story, and great acting.
Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2019

It was a good movie.

It was a good movie. The movie probably could've been rated PG if it had less swearing. Violence isn't scary at all.

Kid, 12 years old July 20, 2019

Very Dark and Scary

This movie is very dark and features content such the talking plant that feeds on blood, telling the main character to slit his wrists and kill a person with a gun and continue to chop him up with an axe and feed it to the plant. Also, it had a very abusive boyfriend. As an almost teen, this really creeped me out and made me feel very scared and uncomfortable. My parents said that this would be a funny movie but this was absolutely not true. Also, there’s a very scary and possibly traumatizing dentist in about the middle of the movie. I thought that this movie wasn’t even that great of a movie and would be very scary and creepy for people under 15 years old.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRosie124 October 15, 2018

I love it but people are different

I absolutely LOVE the musical and the movie, but some might find certain things disturbing. The plot does involve an abusive relationship, a sadistic dentist, murder, and a man-eating plant, of course. Even though these themes are rather dark, it’s just for comedy. The songs are so catchy, and I have always loved this movie!
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2018

Amazingly Awesome!! 10/10

I love this movie! It's perfect for kids of all ages. There's one or two swears in the film, and lots of movies that are for kids have swears in them. (Shrek, Jurassic World, etc) It's an amazing movie and it has a good moral. (Don't cave into peer pressure and greed)

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoonReviewsThings April 14, 2018

Suddenly, this movie is great!

This movie is a great musical with only one or two bad songs. Everything in it is pretty good.
The romance wasn't done that well in my opinion, but still go check it out!

Teen, 15 years old Written byJack00101 January 7, 2018

Funny and good for kids

My parents let me watch this when I was 9 and I loved it definitely recommend for age 9+

Teen, 13 years old Written byoopsydaisy27 July 10, 2016

Great acting, amazing music, but movie plot is quite dark and twisted

Right, so as my school is doing a production of this, I was really interested in it. As I was watching, the movie suddenly became very dark and questionable at parts, especially if you are watching the original ending. The music is great, I guarantee, but the characters themselves are no role models. Poor Seymour is a sweetie, and will win everyone's heart, but him and Audrey (who is a bit ditzy) both suffer from low self image which impacts them hugely. Seymour sings " I keep asking God what I'm for, and he says 'well gee I'm not sure.'" which is heartbreaking. But when Audrey 2 starts asking for blood, Seymour almost jumps at the chance. Granted, he is slightly hesitant at first, but apon viewing Audrey's (the secretary, not the plant) sadistic boyfriend abuse her (in the silhouettes of curtains) he agrees to kill the dentist. The said dentist almost tortures his patients (you see him use the thing that controls the spit inside a patient's mouth, lots of screaming, and a girl come out in some headgear like contraption), and abuses nitrus oxide in a really creepy way. When Seymour comes to kill him, there is another patient, who is either a masochist, or not mentally stable, because he knows about the dentist, and still asks for a "long, slow root canal". When Seymour is dragged in by the dentist, he shows an image of a very unhealthy mouth, with blackened gums and misshappen teeth. The dentist wears a venturi mask which is also very creepy. The plant, AKA Audrey 2, eats *spoiler* Orin (the dentist), Seymour's boss, and in the original ending, *spoiler* Audrey on their wedding night. In the end, it creeped me out, but I had nightmares about Harry Potter when I first saw it. On a final note, remember that the killer plant has bad profanity (the phrase "no sh1t Sherlock" is used), and Is pretty creepy at parts, which sometimes takes away from the music, and Audrey wears very cleaving inducing dresses, but that isn't a big issue. All in all, a great movie, but some parts are inappropriate for young kids.

Kid, 8 years old July 5, 2015

Scary, thrilling musical is very violent, but great and gory.

This comedy/horror/musical fallows Simon a man who buys a little plant then he finds out the plant is man eating and grows so big its bigger than the shop that he works at. Now he must protect his girlfriend from getting eaten so they can get married. This movie has several scenes of strong gore, a man slaps his girlfriend, a man is chopped to bits alive blood spurts, some characters are shot at, a woman is shown about to get eaten by the plant but is stopped, blood is shown on her chest, several scenes of suspense, a few jumps. There is also quite a bit of strong language including s--t a-hole and b---h etc. There is some kissing and references to racy content. This movie has 4 genres musical/romance/horror/and comedy but most of it is pretty gory.
This movie is also hilarious, loads of fun, and great for older teens. My rating:R for some strong bloody horror violence, sensuality, and language throughout.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 October 20, 2014

Little shop, little shop of horrors!

As I am currently doing a performance of this musical, I'd thought I'd reveiw the film. I enjoy it, but I was disappointed by the poor casting for some characters.

Teen, 15 years old Written bydoctor11 October 10, 2014

great if you like different musicals

I loved this movie. I was skeptical at first but I ended up really enjoying this movie. Why it's supposed to be a tad on the dark side, it freshened things up with happy tuned songs that you want to hear again and again. My favorites being Suddenly Seymore, Dentist, and Grow for Me :) and believe it or not this ridiculous movie made me cry. Very well done. Also Ellen Greene has such talent being able to go from high pitched and whiney to deep belting. Here are the complications. Violence: well for one this movie is about a giant man eating plant. The first whole person he eats is chopped up by Seymore. The chopping isn't seen though. Just a shadow and to make things less gory he actually wraps the parts in news paper and there is almost no blood. So nothing is really seen. The other people are swallowed whole so no blood. Also tge dentists is a sadist. He likes to hurt Audrey and his patients so maybe not for a kid who is afraid of the dentist. Sexy stuff: little here. Audrey wears lower cut neck lines. And she subtly hints at kinky activities but it will go right over a kids head. I almost didn't even catch them. The good thing is that Seymore is never in love with Audrey's boobs or hair and he never looks at her wrong it's a very innocent love. Swearing: hell and d*mn are said a few times. But the worst part is the Audrey II sings at the end. He has a pretty fowl mouth. Using words like titties (only a few times), sh*t, *ss, mother (a very mild profanity the was popular in the 80s. Don't know if you count this.) Drugs (sort of): the Dentist breathes "giggle gas" sometimes before he works on a patient to make it even more fun. This seems like a nod to drugs to me because he will put a mask to his face, take a beep breath, then laugh like a maniac. He even has a special mask for special occasions. Take this as you will. Well that is all I hope I helped you decide :)

Teen, 14 years old Written bymrnewbe October 3, 2014

Feed me

This is not a movie for people scared easily, and if you have seen the play it is way different. But the humor is great, the puppetry is even better, and the music is the best.