Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008

Heartwarming

This touching film was created in the same vein as the novel - an honest but optimistic look at the 19th century and an affirmation of the power of love. Though sad at moments, the value of the film is not in the events but rather how the March family reacts and copes.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bySierraAmie April 8, 2015

One of my favorite movies! Good for young kids too!

I am surprised the site has given this movie such a high age recommendation. My daughter has been watching this movie since she was 5 years old and she loves it. And my daughter is very sensitive to violence and trauma, so much that she can't watch Finding Nemo or Free Willy. The story definitely has some hard scenes - with Amy falling into the icy pond and Beth dying - but overall the story is just so sweet and innocent - and I love the values that are conveyed especially for young women. My favorite scene is when Marmy is brushing Jo's hair and they are all talking about the desire to be beautiful and rich and have multiple suitors compared to Marmy's perspective that you be valued for your mind and virtue and her girls thinking "that's all they are." I also appreciate the movie showing the girls being good friends with Laurie (a young man) since most stories of mixed-gender relationships are mostly romantic, silly, rude, or even conflicted. It's rare to find movies that address these issues for girls in contrast to all the Disney princess movies that focus on beauty, riches & male attention as if those are the primary considerations for a girls' life. Little Women is beautifully acted (all-star cast: Susan Sarandon, Christian Bale, Claire Danes, Daniel Byrne, Kirsten Dunst), beautifully filmed, wonderful soundtrack, etc. Can't say enough about the value of your kids getting to know this movie!
Parent of a 3, 5, and 8 year old Written byDeniseArts June 10, 2014

A great version of the book.

Wonderful acting, inspiring role models, and a family that truly cares about each other during difficult times. That, and the beautiful music and acting all around make this a holiday favorite.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Five Strong Women who are Very Big in Spirit

"Little Women" was a favorite of my mother's, and became a favorite book and film for me. The March sisters and Marmee are chock-a-block with positive traits. Marmee, in particular, isn't shy about delivering wise messages, such as that wealth and beauty can't beat self-respect, selfishness is a vice, physical punishment is the easy way out, and gender roles shouldn't confine someone to societal expectations. However, nobody in this film is preachy. Instead, this all comes across as a pro-family, pro-feminine slice of life. As for the male characters: Dad is loved and feels his daughters' pride, Professor Baher is a wise mentor and friend, as well as love interest, to Jo, and Laurie, though flawed, grows up gradually and realistically. The major caveat here comes from Beth; her illness and death will likely disturb young viewers. It's implied that Laurie has a wild streak, which he indulges. A few minor characters drink and/or smoke. Amy's teacher hits her (not shown onscreen, but we do see the results). For whoever is prepared for these, though, the March women are well worth getting to know.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama September 5, 2010

Wonderful, but mostly for girls.....mostly...

When Beth dies is very sad, and it can be scary when Amy fall's into the ice. There are a few kisses, but no sex. Women are sometimes treated in a sexist way, but Jo seems to go against that, and even does against that. It is mostly for females, but some males may want to sneak watch it ;).
Parent of a 10 year old Written byninoca100 June 30, 2009