Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Fun sequel has some romance, peril, adult humor.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byjorgefromqueens March 9, 2009

Not A Kids' Movie

This is not a kids’ movie. It’s packaged as one. But the character situations, the dialogue, the music and the humor are all intended for a much older audience. Whether it was the penguins slapping on a Boston oldie while launching their deathtrap of a plane into the air or Gloria being smitten by the sexual rumblings of MotoMoto, the laughter in the audience was mostly adults (with confused kids following their parents’ cues). The characters actually CURSE during the movie. TWICE. Though it’s thiiiiiiinly concealed by not so clever plays on words. Did I laugh? Yes. But never at the same time as my girls. And the number of times they laughed, well, I could keep one hand in the popcorn bucket and the other on my drink and STILL have a pinky to spare toward the counting of that. [An excerpt from my original review. You can see the whole thing at www.kidkong.com]
Parent of a 15 year old Written byMarvin Martian May 14, 2011

My opinion and review

Well the film does have gross vilence like nipple twisting, and is sexual with flerting, and butts. But to be honest I don't like this film much, really its just a copy a of Lion King. I prefer Lion King more to this

Parent of a 1 and 7 year old Written byhippiemomma March 21, 2009

This is not a kids movie. PLEASE pre-screen.

This is NOT a kids movie. At. All. I had read about the "innuendo," but there's not innuendo about it. They make no attempt to cover the sexuality in this movie. I was watching it with my 19 month old, who was blissfully unaware of anything but "meenkees" and "peengins" and I was still uncomfortable with her seeing it. The self-declared "King" is an overtly gay character who dresses in drag declaring "look I'm dressed like a lady" and then asks "who is attracted to me?" Several times there are close-ups of the animals' butts and groins while sexual lines or music are being presented. There is also not-so-cleverly disguised cursing. And the penguins, who are generally presented as heros, steal throughout the movie. They also intentionally run over a little old lady with a jeep, ask "is she dead?" And when the answer is "no," they hit her again. This movie was just simply not made for kids. And it's not really that enjoyable for adults either.

Parent of a 8 and 18+ year old Written bynolemming December 17, 2008

What is with the old lady beating up the Lion?

She never stopped - even after she recognized the Lion. Did people really think this was funny? Nobody in the theatre was laughing and certainly not my 8 year old. The plane crash was extememly intense. This is not a little kids movie, but then what is? They are all made for adults, with all the stupid inuendos. God forbid a parent be bored for an hour so their kid could have a funny and enjoyable experience. All you parents that are taking your kids to these cookie cutter, money making bonanzas really should take the time to see these movies through the eyes of your child. Is it really to much to ask to let these kids have a childhood not filled with this intensity and violence? And if you don't think this movie was violent, think again. And there wasn't even a good story to carry it through.
Adult Written bylbrainbeck November 7, 2008

Better than the original!!

My husband, 8 year old son and I saw the movie tonight and loved it! Yes, there is a lot of humor for adults, but that's one of the things that made it enjoyable for my husband and me . We all agreed that it was better than the original (in which I fell asleep.) My son just said it was the best movie he's ever seen!
Adult Written byJubileeJigsaw November 28, 2017

Psalm 139:14

I really enjoyed seeing Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa! The movie is the reason why I am creative today. Alex really inspired me to just be myself and reminded me of Psalm 139:14. Alex was created to be an actor/dancer, even though his father, Zuba, wanted him to hunt. What Zuba didn't understand, before the end of the film, was that God created his son just the way he was. Even though Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa has some adult jokes, it teaches a valuable lesson about being fearfully and wonderfully made in God's eyes.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byarudek805 April 2, 2009

Movie with an Identify Crisis

There are some truly cute moments in this film, but it seems at times to forget that it is a children's movie. I liked the message about learning to love and appreciate others even if they are different. For example Alex prefers dancing to fighting like a lion and in the end his parents are proud of him. But why do so many children's movies have to have fights and violence? Also, the objectification of females (like the hippo) based on their physical appearance is disturbing. These themes were clearly for an older audience. The movie tries too hard to be both appealing to kids and the adults with them at the same time.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byFowlerFan July 1, 2011

Not for four year olds

I rented this as my friend who has seven year olds recommended it. Within the first few minutes, there was a barrel of a gun pointed at an animal and a granny and lion fighting each other (comedic violence). Fine for older kids, but for four year olds, we turned it off.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 21, 2010

great for 8+

Now when I saw the second Madagascar I thought it would disappoint but wow this was a huge surprise as it was better than the first.

Adult Written bythecoolpeoples November 7, 2008

HIPPO-M-G

Hippos flirt with each other. My hippo conspiracy theory is coming true, hippos will one day rule the WORLD world world. ECHO echo echo.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byJaydensMommy February 10, 2011

As fun as the first!

My son loves that each character has very unique personalities. There is some innuendo, but he misses it at age 3, doesn't think anything of it. He has a lot of fun with the music and action. He's constantly singing the song "I like to move it!". This is a regular watch in our home.
Adult Written byThe JP Show June 9, 2009

Beware-More content

Edgier Than the first

Parent of a 4 year old Written bybmommy November 20, 2008

big group of 4 and 5 year olds AND the parents, LOVED IT! Can't wait to buy it on DVD!

We are very careful about what our 4 year old sees on TV and in movies, and we are definitely NOT on the High School Musical/Hannah Montana bandwagon that everyone else seems to be on (that is so clearly not age appropriate to us). That being said, we took our son and a group of his friends, with everyone's parents in tow, to see Madagascar 2, and WE LOVED IT! The parents enjoyed all the jokes that were over the kids heads, and we laughed throughout it. The kids enjoyed the more simplistic aspects of it, and danced and giggled their way through it. I have to emphasize that we are not very liberal parents who expose our child to just anything. For example, we feel the Hulk and Spiderman movies are too much for him at age 4, and we are careful what is on the TV when he is in the room. While there were one or two eyebrow raising scenes in my eyes (but not in my husband's), we were not offended or concerned about this movie at all. If you see the lemur as cross-dressing, as one reviewer stated, then you are projecting your own view onto it. Comedians for decades have donned women's apparel for a laugh, and it hasn't gone out of style. Lighten up. Highly recommend this movie. We loved the first one and loved this sequel even more. The day after seeing the sequel, we watched our Madagascar original DVD again and definitely felt that the laughs in the second one exceeded the first, but who cares, really? They are fun, escapist movies where you can go with your kids and forget about the yucky economy and other problems and just laugh yourself silly. Enjoy!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybewize September 20, 2009

Great fun for the Adult - not good choice for little people

Running over old lady??? very bad! Fight with nipple pinching!!! errr Not a kids movie !!!!!!!!! what is up with the people who rate this movie for little kids??? they want to have demented children....errrrrrr

Adult Written bydebandtom May 25, 2009
Too much emphasis on the hippo romance. Too much violence by and toward Granny.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion January 11, 2009

A Mildly Amusing but Inferior Sequel...

MADAGASCAR isn’t classic by any stretch, but it was funny and entertaining. I can't say as much for the sequel. The animals are back, and this time they're in Africa. Alex meets his parents, Marty meets a clan of zebras, Gloria meets a man and Melvin becomes a witch-doctor. Impressed? I wasn't either. There are crude terms ("poop" and "moron"). There is quite a bit of sexual innuendo. As a male hippo walks (with "I like `em big/I like `em chunky" playing) as the camera focuses on his abs and butt. Another hippo says she might join the "breeding program" at a zoo, and hippos gawk at how "big and huge" they are. A lemur cozies up to a male giraffe with a gleeful smile. The same (male) lemur pops out of a cake wearing a skirt and coconut bra asking who is attracted to him. A male monkey willingly kisses a male penguin on the mouth, and pictures of a penguin kissing and fondling a doll are seen as blackmail.
Parent Written byunderdog November 13, 2008

I cringed at all the innuendo

I disagree that this movie is okay for 6 yr olds, just because it is animated. The frequent sexual undertones to this movie surprised me, and I found them to be unnecessary. It was hardly innuendo -- beginning with the opening scenes of the flaming-gay cross-dressing lemur jumping out of a cake (who's flamboyant behavior continued thru the movie), to the dripping wet hippos slow dancing while both admire each others bodies in stereotypic fashion, and continuing with the lead penguin having a seeming affair with a doll. It seemed many scenes were unnecessary to move the plot along, but I assume were added to make the movie long enough, and show off the (admittedly) amazing animation/technical ability of DreamWorks. Check your kid's morals at the door, or have a long discussion with them afterward of their understanding of these aspects.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

Good for 6+

A very good sequel that's better than the first so I'm shocked.
Parent Written bylldent2000 April 3, 2010

Great Family Movie

My children enjoy this movie. They do all the dances and they love the story. There are some moments of scary parts for young children

Adult Written by413804 January 28, 2012

Pretty Good

This made me laugh more than the first one. It gets a little sketchy for kids because of a womanizing hippo