All parent member reviews for Madagascar

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byJennrleigh October 5, 2009

Ok for kids older than 5 or 6

I think it's a cute movie, but I'm bummed about the language. We're pretty strict about not using "stupid" "crap" "shut up" "hell" or name calling like "jerk" or idiot" and unfortunately, these are often referred to as "mild" insults which is OK for older kids (at least Kindergarten or 1st grade) but completely inappropriate for kids under 4 in my opinion. I don't think this language ever adds anything to the film, so why bother putting it in? I was really disappointed about the scene with "sugar, honey, ice tea"- although many little ones will miss it altogether, why bother putting it in- it doesn't add anything but shock value for the parents :(
Parent of a 2 year old Written byJaydensMommy February 10, 2011

My son loves that each character has very unique personalities. There is some innuendo, but he misses it at age 3, doesn't think anything of it. He has a lot of fun with the music and action. He's constantly singing the song "I like to move it!". This is a regular watch in our home.
Parent Written byWilliam8 June 24, 2012

Really bad movie for adults disguised as a kids' cartoon

Most of the jokes would only be funny to adults, except they aren't really funny to me or my wife (gay stereotypes, fake drug trips, etc.). Reminded me more of an Adam Sandler movie than a kids' cartoon. The child-oriented stuff would be better classified as "zany". My almost 4-year old was kind of bored, though he certainly remembered Alex's name. No good messages I can remember at all. We gave the movie away (bought on recommendation) before the bad messages could sink in anymore. I can't believe they made sequels to this.
Adult Written bySettingXSail January 11, 2009
Adult Written byhogweed1 April 9, 2008

Better than Shrek.

A funny movie that works on Dreamworks' often-used "Jay Ward" formula: slapstick and scatalogical jokes for the kids, some witty banter and references for the parents.
Parent Written bysamueld1 April 7, 2015

On one of a part it says help it brakes of and then it says hell
Adult Written byLowe's man January 18, 2015

A good lesson on friendship.

When Marty leaves the zoo in the hopes of getting more freedom and living with other zebras, his friends rightly and wisely go out to find him. When they're caught by police and shipped off in a boat, and especially after the storm at sea, all the animals learn to rely on each other, as that's the only way that they can survive. Most memorable is the way Marty (or is that Alex?) says happy birthday. I was told by one of my former fellow employees at Lowe's that I say happy birthday just like that. He's right! This movie's only potential drawback is that the very plot may frighten children under 7.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 18, 2012

Families can talk about the film's portrayals of friendships and how friends can deal with their companions' different personalities. Did you relate to any of the friendships portrayed here? Families can also discuss the film's use of cliches and stereotypes as jokes (the "island" music that characterizes the lemur community, the whiny hypochondriac, the fey lemur king). Why do movies use so many stereotypes? At what point do stereotypes do harm?
Adult Written by413804 January 28, 2012

This is a pretty good movie, and makes me laugh. It doesn't compare to Shrek, and is good for kids over 5. There are a couple of swears here and there
Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Although it says the sexual content will go 'straight over a kids head', I saw this when I was 12 and I was shocked at the film and very disappointed. There is a scene where the Lion also wants to eat the Zebra and drools for a second. I left the film VERY disappointed in this. I never saw it again
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

Good for 6+

I actually liked this movie because it was very funny.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMr. Karl May 21, 2010

fine for 8+

I was a little surprised with this effort from Dreamworks cause it was actually a bit funny.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written byj9smiles April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Not impressed

My kids (ages 2,5,8,10) love movies and couldn't wait for this one, but once the DVD arrived it took three days for us to finish the movie! They couldn't stay interested! The older two really tried to finish it but just didn't understand some concepts enough to stay focused. The younger 2 could have cared less. In fact my 2 yr old cried every time we mentioned trying to watch it! The loyalty of friendships was great but the language was a problem and some situations were, too. This is not a movie I plan on buying!
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Really good!

Very funny film with only a few vulgarities. Fine for most kids.
Adult Written byskybrett April 9, 2008
i thought it was great for kids they liked the animals. the music was hip and up beat. my kid enjoyed it that i had to buy him the game . i enjoyed watching it with him .
Adult Written bypocahantas200273 April 9, 2008

I cried of laughing so much

It was a really good movie and my 9 and 12 yr. old loved it. It was funny and entertaining.
Adult Written bycacwgrl23 April 9, 2008

Hysterically Funny!

I saw this movie with my 4 year old daughter and some friends. Some of the content in the movie was not suitable for her age group...the spitting of the drink out of the animals mouths was one of the biggest ones I had an issue with. She went home that night doing it...and all the next day too. She even taught her younger sister to do it. Other than was quite a hyterically funny movie. There was some adult humor to it too.
Adult Written bynytch April 9, 2008