Parent reviews for Mama

Mama Poster Image

the story of the movie is different compare to other horror movies the storyline is really great all the cast has done fabulous acting the climax is what makes the story different from other horror movies the character mama even by been a ghost has given positive impact

A good movie, it really all depends on the person.

This movie is a great movie. It features a perfect balance of jumpscares and suspense. Personally, I would reccomend it for 12+ but it all depends on what your child / you are afraid of. It is a terrifying movie if disfigurement makes you squirmish. However, if you are prone to that, it will not be as scare (disfigurement is the main scare component). BE WARNED: this movie features some creepy and frightening disfugurement that could give a child nightmares for a while.

Horrifying Modern Horror That Is Beautifully Made

I Absolutely Enjoyed The Movie All The Way Through. The Story Is Brilliant And The Ending Was Very Imaginative, I Didn't See It Coming! The Violence Is A Little Abhorrent, With Moths And Black Slime Oozing From The Walls, But That's Okay. The Film Had Barely Any Sexual Content Of Any Nature. It Is One Of My New Favorite Horror Films And Had Genuine Scares That Got Me. Overall, The Film Was Very Well Thought Out And Imaginative. A Little Eerie But I Would Recommend!

good scare

We always preview movies before allowing our children to watch. Only you know what they are mature enough or able to handle watching. We allowed our 10 yr old to watch it she loves being scary stuff. There is very little to none of bad launguage , intamcy, or drugs. Nothing new that your kids aren't exposed to in public already. Its not gory but it does have violence which usually comes with scary movies anyways. If you have allowed your children to watch hunger games there is definetly nothing to worry about this movie.

Scariest movie i ever seen in my Life definitely not For kids maybe teens But it Nightmare stuff !!!!!!

i saw this movie at theaters i highly disagree with reviews say this movie is Fine for 12 year olds This most scariest movie i ever seen in my life it is full of Nightmare Stuff Would Give any kid under age 16 Very scary scenes mama is pure evil !!!!!!!!! would not recommend watch this at all it give me Nightmares im 24 !!!!!!!! don't watch it !!!!!!!

Don't Bother Even Seeing It On TV

One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The "ghost" is ridiculous.

Interesting. I liked it!

I thought the story was very interesting. I wasn't expecting much from this PG-13 horror, but ended up really liking it. It's basically about two young sisters and their dad who, after a car crash, discover an old cabin in the woods and decide to check it out. But after their dad disappears, the two girls are left in the care of a scary ghost named "Mama" who raises them as her own children. Soon after, their uncle and his stuck-up girlfriend learn that they are alive and want to bring them home - but the girls aren't the same. After an accident causing the uncle to spend time in the hospital, it's up to his punk-rocker girlfriend to "play mom" and later discover who Mama is and what she's after. The story is kind of strange when you first watch it, the acting is excellent by everyone including the kids. Language isn't too bad with one quick "f" word during a voice mail message and a few other common words. Sexual content is mild which has some kissing in two scenes, one of them undressing each other but are quickly interrupted. Violence is mostly scary, there is an off-screen car crash. Some deaths but none shown. Chasing scenes, screaming and frightening images. Mama appears creepy and demented looking. Not much gore/blood at all. It has good messages and is even a little sad (in a heartwarming kind of way). Much too scary for young ones but great for teens 12 and up I think!

Brilliant Film! Quite scary for tweens and under

Mama is a horror movie about two girls who are abandoened in a cabin in the woods who bring back a sinister presence to their homes. The film is full of jumps and scares and some scenes may be frightening or upsetting for younger children, especially the ending which can even shake an adult up after watching it.

Best review

It is an amazing film, which would be one to watch with the whole family !! It's very creepy and messes with your mind. Children should be about to watch it if want to !!!!

Mama (2013) Review by Shivom Oza - Naah Naah!

'Mama' begins on a mysterious note. It ends on an even more mysterious note. The film, which includes Guillermo del Toro as its executive producer, is based on a three minute-long short film of the same name. What lies between the start and the end, are some more mysteries coupled with a horrible second half, terrible CGI and preposterous acting! The film is already a big box-office success, for reasons unknown. Two little girls Victoria and Lilly are taken away by their father, after he's just murdered their mother. The father fakes a car crash and moves in with his daughters to a dingy-looking cottage house in the seemingly spooky woods. He gets killed soon after, by a horrendous apparition looming in that house. The girls are left all alone. Five years later, we have the father's brother Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) yet looking for the girls. He lives with the attractive lead singer of a local rock band, Annabel (Jessica Chastain). After much deliberation, the two girls are found in the same cottage. Victoria and Lilly, having been cut off from humans at such an impressionable age and for such a long time, have almost become beastly in their mannerisms and body language. Yet, Uncle Lucas and Annabel agree to take them in. However, the looming apparition reappears. Thus, we meet the dreaded Mama! ‘Mama’ sets up the premise nicely in the first half. The plot looks interesting, regardless of the clichés. The acting too, is passable. Jessica looks and acts fine and the two girls are also very convincing as Mama's loyalists. The conflict is also quite interesting and the half-way mark does set up an intriguing supernatural thriller. However, the second half makes up for all the lack of stupidity. Needless drama, out-of-place spooky sequences, two deplorable nightmare scenes, a barrage of unsolved questions and the anti-horrific climax later, the film almost becomes a joke. Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse do a decent job playing the two girls and Chastain is wonderful in her supporting act. However, the writers mar a potentially good first half with the same old B-movie tricks. Andy Muschietti, the director of the film, should just leave great short movies untouched henceforth. The seemingly scary humming music in 'Mama' is annoying. Check that out first. The rest of the film is even more annoying than that. Pass this one. Shivom Oza