All parent member reviews for Mama

Parent of a 14 year old Written byJeHaMo January 25, 2013

Typical Del Toro, MAMA

I viewed this film with my 16 year old daughter and her friends. It is a mix of historical fiction and modern. I find this, like most del Toro films, part mystery and part horror with a twist at the ending. As with most of his films, there is a happy ending for some, but not all of the characters. We enjoyed the suspense of this film and the lack of gore.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written byfancythat January 25, 2013

Total Turkey

(Possible spoiler alert) This is one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. A total waste of the actors' talents. I am very adverse to paranormal movies, but my husband wanted to see this. I was prepared to walk out if it was at all realistic. The "ghost" is totally unbelievable - a nine foot apparition with tree branch looking hands and a messed up face. And what's up with that stupid moth at the end? Not worth even renting it.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

good scare

We always preview movies before allowing our children to watch. Only you know what they are mature enough or able to handle watching. We allowed our 10 yr old to watch it she loves being scary stuff. There is very little to none of bad launguage , intamcy, or drugs. Nothing new that your kids aren't exposed to in public already. Its not gory but it does have violence which usually comes with scary movies anyways. If you have allowed your children to watch hunger games there is definetly nothing to worry about this movie.
Adult Written byChuckyRevengeFan October 7, 2013

Scariest movie i ever seen in my Life definitely not For kids maybe teens But it Nightmare stuff !!!!!!

i saw this movie at theaters i highly disagree with reviews say this movie is Fine for 12 year olds This most scariest movie i ever seen in my life it is full of Nightmare Stuff Would Give any kid under age 16 Very scary scenes mama is pure evil !!!!!!!!! would not recommend watch this at all it give me Nightmares im 24 !!!!!!!! don't watch it !!!!!!!
Parent Written bynimswa April 8, 2013

Don't Bother Even Seeing It On TV

One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The "ghost" is ridiculous.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 4, 2013

Interesting. I liked it!

I thought the story was very interesting. I wasn't expecting much from this PG-13 horror, but ended up really liking it. It's basically about two young sisters and their dad who, after a car crash, discover an old cabin in the woods and decide to check it out. But after their dad disappears, the two girls are left in the care of a scary ghost named "Mama" who raises them as her own children. Soon after, their uncle and his stuck-up girlfriend learn that they are alive and want to bring them home - but the girls aren't the same. After an accident causing the uncle to spend time in the hospital, it's up to his punk-rocker girlfriend to "play mom" and later discover who Mama is and what she's after. The story is kind of strange when you first watch it, the acting is excellent by everyone including the kids. Language isn't too bad with one quick "f" word during a voice mail message and a few other common words. Sexual content is mild which has some kissing in two scenes, one of them undressing each other but are quickly interrupted. Violence is mostly scary, there is an off-screen car crash. Some deaths but none shown. Chasing scenes, screaming and frightening images. Mama appears creepy and demented looking. Not much gore/blood at all. It has good messages and is even a little sad (in a heartwarming kind of way). Much too scary for young ones but great for teens 12 and up I think!
Parent of a 6 and 14 year old Written bysmita67 March 29, 2013

Brilliant Film! Quite scary for tweens and under

Mama is a horror movie about two girls who are abandoened in a cabin in the woods who bring back a sinister presence to their homes. The film is full of jumps and scares and some scenes may be frightening or upsetting for younger children, especially the ending which can even shake an adult up after watching it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCarsonherr January 28, 2013

11 years and up

I saw this movie the other day. And honestly it's not bad. A couple scenes a little scary but it think 12 year olds would really enjoy the horror. I saw it with my 12 year old daughter and she absolutely loved it. The language wasn't bad only a couple words here and there. Honestly I think 11 and up are capable of watching this movie.
Parent Written bymacd5678 January 19, 2013

Mama with Four Twelve Year Olds

I'm glad to be writing the first parent review on this title, because I've been searching for a review ever since my 12 year old told me he had his heart set on this movie (along with three of his friends). Initially, I was more worried about the subject matter as opposed to the scares and potential nightmares. I'm thinking a guy in a mask with a chainsaw is probably less impressionable than watching two young children abandoned at birth in a dark cabin somewhere in the woods. I'm thinking this movie is chock full of disturbing images revolving around child abuse and abandonment. In short, it's not half as bad as I had imagined. It's PG-13 and pretty much feels PG-13 --- save for a couple scares. And the "scares" aren't all that either. Overall, it's creepy. Super creepy. But it's not earth shatteringly nuts, either. I'd say this is a much better film if you can drag along a couple young teens who are terrified and excited to see it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMamakills February 10, 2013

Best review

It is an amazing film, which would be one to watch with the whole family !! It's very creepy and messes with your mind. Children should be about to watch it if want to !!!!
Parent Written byShivom Oza February 5, 2013

Mama (2013) Review by Shivom Oza - Naah Naah!

'Mama' begins on a mysterious note. It ends on an even more mysterious note. The film, which includes Guillermo del Toro as its executive producer, is based on a three minute-long short film of the same name. What lies between the start and the end, are some more mysteries coupled with a horrible second half, terrible CGI and preposterous acting! The film is already a big box-office success, for reasons unknown. Two little girls Victoria and Lilly are taken away by their father, after he's just murdered their mother. The father fakes a car crash and moves in with his daughters to a dingy-looking cottage house in the seemingly spooky woods. He gets killed soon after, by a horrendous apparition looming in that house. The girls are left all alone. Five years later, we have the father's brother Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) yet looking for the girls. He lives with the attractive lead singer of a local rock band, Annabel (Jessica Chastain). After much deliberation, the two girls are found in the same cottage. Victoria and Lilly, having been cut off from humans at such an impressionable age and for such a long time, have almost become beastly in their mannerisms and body language. Yet, Uncle Lucas and Annabel agree to take them in. However, the looming apparition reappears. Thus, we meet the dreaded Mama! ‘Mama’ sets up the premise nicely in the first half. The plot looks interesting, regardless of the clichés. The acting too, is passable. Jessica looks and acts fine and the two girls are also very convincing as Mama's loyalists. The conflict is also quite interesting and the half-way mark does set up an intriguing supernatural thriller. However, the second half makes up for all the lack of stupidity. Needless drama, out-of-place spooky sequences, two deplorable nightmare scenes, a barrage of unsolved questions and the anti-horrific climax later, the film almost becomes a joke. Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse do a decent job playing the two girls and Chastain is wonderful in her supporting act. However, the writers mar a potentially good first half with the same old B-movie tricks. Andy Muschietti, the director of the film, should just leave great short movies untouched henceforth. The seemingly scary humming music in 'Mama' is annoying. Check that out first. The rest of the film is even more annoying than that. Pass this one. Shivom Oza
Parent Written byjpschouest January 21, 2013