All parent member reviews for Marley & Me

Adult Written byscreenmom81 October 12, 2009

Should have been PG-13--Parents of young children Beware!

Watched this movie alone one evening and could not BELIEVE how much sexual content it contained for a PG rating. I had to check the the rating twice because I thought I read it wrong. It was more than 'implied' sex. The word itself was used at least 4 times in reference to what the couple needed to do in order to "make a baby". I understand they are a married couple but my husband and I surely don't excuse ourselves from the room and tell our kids we are going 'to go make a baby', or have sex for that matter. Should most definitely been rated PG-13. I did not get to the sad ending so I cannot comment on the emotional impact it may have on your kids.
Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Not a movie for the whole family

The commercials make Marley and Me look a movie for the whole family. Don't be fooled. It should be at least rated PG-13. The movie is barely about Marley, but I still cried when he died, even though I hated the movie. Nothing inappropriate is shown, but it's talked about.
Adult Written byFooPets fare March 8, 2010

Depends on the type of kid, but overall an amazing movie.

I rated it 10+ because it really depends on what a parent wants a kid seeing, and what kind of kid it is. For example, my five year-old sister has seen it no problem. The sex scenes are not explicit, but depending on how much you know about sex you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. For younger kids it will most likely fly right over their heads. At most they might embarrassingly ask you what they're doing! It also depends on how sensitive your child is, because the ending is -SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER- very sad, and almost nobody will be dry-eyed. If your kid is extremely sensitive you might want to reconsider showing them this. The sex scenes don't show anything explicit, but like I said you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. Maybe younger, it all depends on how much you know about sex and such. Language isn't that bad, with the occasional Sh*t or D*mn and Ass, but not terrible. The violence scene with the girl again depends on how sensitive your kid is, for example my younger sister just kind of ignored it, but if you have a very sensitive little kid who could have nightmares from it you may want to skip this scene. I hope this review was helpful to you :).
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written by4hunters June 26, 2010

about adult lives with adult challenges

While I think it can be really good for kids to see adults having to struggle and work at work and at marriage, there's a lot of content that is just about adult lives, and really doesn't hold kid interest without coaching. We had to stop the DVD a lot and talk about what was really happening, and why it was interesting and/or hard for some or all of the characters. This was particularly true of the period when Jenny is just about to lose it under the stress of being at home with a difficult dog and two small children, and misses her job. These were worthwhile conversations, but the kids would have gotten little out of the movie without them.
Adult Written bykraber May 26, 2010

Good date night movie for mom and dad, NOT the kids

While I really liked this movie, it should have been PG-13 (at least) When a married couple discusses how long it's been since they've had sex, skinny dip, flounce onto the bed making out in preparation for sex, make the bed creak while having sex, it should have a PG 13 rating! I think our rating system really dropped the ball on this one. This may be a good date night movie for mom and dad, but NOT a family movie.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Better As An Adult Movie

This is a very sweet, touching, and humorous story. I recommend this to older teens due to the adult main characters and their mannerisms. There are some sex scenes and some nudity. Overall a great story, but might be something worth waiting for, adults will enjoy this more than teens.
Adult Written bypvtplatypus August 16, 2011

Come on now.

I can't believe you people. Kids learn sex ed in 5th grade. If you're having your 6 year old kid watching a movie like this then you are a bad parent. It's not the movies fault, it's yours. It's not rated G, it's rated PG. Parental Guidance. I'm gonna go watch I Saw The Devil now.
Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 29, 2011

Cute But COuld Be Better

This movie was a very sweet movie and I thought that the whole subject behind the movie was very cute. In the beggining of the movie there was WAY too much sex and sex talk, they had three babies one after another. I wish that this movie talked more about Marley instead of the parents and having kids. John's friend Sebastian was a girl magnet, using John's kids and Marley to hook girls up... In the other half of the movie it is very sweet and more family time with marley as he grows older. The end is very sad, if you don't cry then there is something wrong with you! Cute but could be better
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrschrisc December 4, 2009

PG rating is misleading. Good movie but not for younger kids. Too much sex talk!

I was not happy that our local theatre played this during the summer family fun festival and many young kids were there. I would definitely have not taken my 9 yr old daughter if I knew that there were seeral implied sex scenes, especially one where the bed was squeaking and she calles her husband saying there is a naked lady here waiting for you. I felt bad that daycares and summer camp groups had taken 5 and 6 yr olds to the movie that day too. I am sure they would have chose not go go either if they knew about the sex material. Not cool, Marcus Cinema. Also, movie ratings should have made it PG-13 rating for sure.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byreasmoma April 28, 2009

I should have read the reviews before sitting down to watch this movie with my 4 year old. It is not a movie for young children...parents be warned! There are inaprropriate love scenes, a doctor's office visit. There are some crass scenes where the dog is shown, pardon me, "humping" a lady's leg, pooping in the water at the beach, etc. There is also the issue of language such as when the owner called the dog a "son of a @#$%^" --Among other words such a "d@#$."--- And then the ending was horrible...the dog dies! Never would I let my child watch this. We were lured in by the cute picture of the puppy on the cover of the DVD, thinking it would be a sweet movie about a dog.....WRONG!
Adult Written byasambrook June 13, 2009

mature 10 and Up---- VERY TOUCHING

My 10 year old brother and I (12) watched this together. Although this is a PG movie we ttly think that some part were pushing the PG rating such as some of the sexual content and the brief (well actually not so brief) scene where the teenage neighbor gets stabbed. Overall, the movie was extremally touching, but I do think that if you are seeing this with kids, no one under 10 should see this movie, and only extremally mature 10 year olds should watch this. (maybe younger if you fastforward?)
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAmyluya November 5, 2009

Extremely emotional film best suited to older teens and adults

This movie is not at all for the younger set. It is a movie about real life and, although there's nothing wrong with that, most younger kids don't need to be exposed to those things quite yet. There are hard lessons in this movie....coming to grips with a life that didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, the difficulties in raising children, and the emotional aspects of living with a pet who becomes a member of your family. There were a lot of positive things here.....a husband and wife who truly seem to be in a loving relationship where they both do things to help make the other one happy, showing the realities of being frustrated with a pet and yet still loving and caring for it as part of the family, and children who really seem to get along as siblings. The sexual aspects of the film are not explicit, and they could open a conversation with older children about where babies come from, etc., but it is not something that children younger than 8 or 9 need to even have an inkling of, I think. Overall, this is not a "for the whole family" type of movie. If anything, it is a movie that is best enjoyed by adults, although there would be little worry for teenagers watching it. It is, however, very highly emotional and could really upset more sensitive children and youths.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion February 28, 2009

A Charming Comedy That Shouldn't have Slipped By a PG-13!

Okay, just to get this out of the way, this is a great movie. It is funny and charming, and the acting is surprisingly clever. However, it is for teen and adults. No kids. Trust me. No one over 12 or 13 should see this film. Period. However, I will still supply a post of objectionable material, for those who are still on the line. Sexual content is the biggest issue in the film, with numerous, numerous references to sexual activity ("honey, you should hurry home...there's a naked lady waiting in your bed") and getting pregnant ("are you pulling the goalie?") For Owen Wilson's 40th birthday gift, Jennifer Aniston strips (off-screen) and jumps into a swimming pool. He follows (nothing is shown). They are both seen making out on a bed. Marley humps a dog trainer’s leg, and there are many crude references to neutering a dog. Language is also iffy too, with several "a*s"s and "godd**ns".
Educator and Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bysmileyschoolmom April 14, 2009

Good Core Values but too much "content"

The movie would have been a wonderful family values postive , all ages film, if they had not put in the sexual content. we felt there was way too much kissing (and yes I understand they are married) implied sex and the nudity. none of it was neccessary. with out those it would have been a VERY strong statement to the value of commitment,marriage,family...I was very dissappointed by the content and trying desperately to understand how it got a straight pg rating
Adult Written byjoshua martinez April 28, 2010

13 and up.

Marley and me is a good family movie and a sad movie but parents expect a lot of mature themes about loss and mourning that maybe too much for your younger kids to handle and parents you need to know that this movie Marley and me has only one sex scene but never shown but you can hear the bed creaky characters use some mild language throughout the movie also characters drink wine or champagne when there in the beach.
Adult Written byNinjaGuy788 April 13, 2009

:'( This is a sad but great movie.

This is one of the saddest movies i have ever seen. The dog dies, a woman gets stabbed, Jennifer Anniston's baby dies in the womb. Don't get me wrong, i love this movie, but the emotional impact it causes might be too much for kids to take. What really stinx is that it was advertised as a really cute, kids movie but was really mature and sad. My rating: PG-13 for sexual content, language, a drug reference, and brief vioelnce.
Adult Written bylangesyd January 13, 2009

Marley and Me is a PG movie!

Look if any of these parents had actually read the last chapter of the book or any book about a dog for the matter, the dog always dies, unless its "spot" or "101 dalmatians" this book was made for adults, not kids.. Yes the dog dies, which was sad, but kids already know these things. Most people who saw this movie were not crying because he died, they were crying because they have had a dog like Marley and can relate to how special he was to the Grogan family. I am shocked that parents are blaming the movie for making their kids "depressed". They did hint to him getting older in the move and slowing down. I just cant believe you would take your kids to it and not have known that in the book the dog dies and that in the movie he was probably going to also. Now i wish they would have added the last part of the book into the movie where they go and adopt another lab, it would have brightened things up, but i understand why they didn't. I just think parents should have done more research before they blame the movie.
Adult Written byTMDad December 29, 2008

commonsense let me down

The majority of the reviews here that believe this movie was inappropriate for children under 13 are right on. Unfortunately, commonsense.org was not.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byHeatherokc December 25, 2008

I took my 7 and 9 year old am I am mortified!!!

This movie should have been PG-13. The movie had content that was way too mature for children under the age of 13. Th family looses a child, has a horrible fight scene and sex is referred to at least 3 times. I am horrified that I took my young children to this movie because we thought it was a movie about a family and a dog.
Parent Written byFrankinf May 28, 2012

sad

funny and fun but very sad