All parent member reviews for Marley & Me

Adult Written byscreenmom81 October 12, 2009

Should have been PG-13--Parents of young children Beware!

Watched this movie alone one evening and could not BELIEVE how much sexual content it contained for a PG rating. I had to check the the rating twice because I thought I read it wrong. It was more than 'implied' sex. The word itself was used at least 4 times in reference to what the couple needed to do in order to "make a baby". I understand they are a married couple but my husband and I surely don't excuse ourselves from the room and tell our kids we are going 'to go make a baby', or have sex for that matter. Should most definitely been rated PG-13. I did not get to the sad ending so I cannot comment on the emotional impact it may have on your kids.
Parent Written byLucyinLA November 6, 2012

Not for kids or tweens!

Beware if you think this is a family movie! Within the first twenty minutes there were enough sexual references and bad launguage to embarass my kids (10 and 12). In one scene, there is even a joke the husband makes to the wife about lesbian sex. I was shocked at the rating and how this movie was being touted as a family film. The movie itself bored me too much to finish watching without my kids.
Parent Written byFrankinf May 28, 2012

sad

funny and fun but very sad
Adult Written byFooPets fare March 8, 2010

Depends on the type of kid, but overall an amazing movie.

I rated it 10+ because it really depends on what a parent wants a kid seeing, and what kind of kid it is. For example, my five year-old sister has seen it no problem. The sex scenes are not explicit, but depending on how much you know about sex you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. For younger kids it will most likely fly right over their heads. At most they might embarrassingly ask you what they're doing! It also depends on how sensitive your child is, because the ending is -SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER- very sad, and almost nobody will be dry-eyed. If your kid is extremely sensitive you might want to reconsider showing them this. The sex scenes don't show anything explicit, but like I said you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. Maybe younger, it all depends on how much you know about sex and such. Language isn't that bad, with the occasional Sh*t or D*mn and Ass, but not terrible. The violence scene with the girl again depends on how sensitive your kid is, for example my younger sister just kind of ignored it, but if you have a very sensitive little kid who could have nightmares from it you may want to skip this scene. I hope this review was helpful to you :).
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Better As An Adult Movie

This is a very sweet, touching, and humorous story. I recommend this to older teens due to the adult main characters and their mannerisms. There are some sex scenes and some nudity. Overall a great story, but might be something worth waiting for, adults will enjoy this more than teens.
Parent Written bylcswreview April 28, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

I saw this movie in the theater with my young daughter. Many of the other mothers walked out of the theater with their children. The movie was NOT for children. It should have been rated PG-13 and it angers me that the rating system broke down on this movie. Many parents rent this "family" movie for their kids thinking that it is okay because it is rated PG. It should be PG-13 and, believe me, it is going to give your young children an early education about sex. If the movie had been rated appropriately as PG-13 -- I would say it was a very good movie. For older teens and adults, it is a very good movie.
Adult Written byATMT March 27, 2012

Horrible stuff!!

Whoever created the publicity for this movie should be shot for grossly misleading advertising. We had to switch off after half an hour...
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Great movie

A really touching movie about having a family. There are some things kids won't understand.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Fine, but the dog dies

Couple sexy scenes. Not really for kids. Probably for someone over 13. The dog also dies and it's very sad...
Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 29, 2011

Cute But COuld Be Better

This movie was a very sweet movie and I thought that the whole subject behind the movie was very cute. In the beggining of the movie there was WAY too much sex and sex talk, they had three babies one after another. I wish that this movie talked more about Marley instead of the parents and having kids. John's friend Sebastian was a girl magnet, using John's kids and Marley to hook girls up... In the other half of the movie it is very sweet and more family time with marley as he grows older. The end is very sad, if you don't cry then there is something wrong with you! Cute but could be better
Adult Written bypvtplatypus August 16, 2011

Come on now.

I can't believe you people. Kids learn sex ed in 5th grade. If you're having your 6 year old kid watching a movie like this then you are a bad parent. It's not the movies fault, it's yours. It's not rated G, it's rated PG. Parental Guidance. I'm gonna go watch I Saw The Devil now.
Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 8, and 12 year old Written bybakercr January 12, 2011
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Cute movie, heavy on the emotion

This movie is tough, because of the scene where the dog is put down. It's very emotional. I would definitely gauge how your child would react to it. It's not really a family movie, so much as a coming of age movie about a man who's accepting what his life is becoming. Not really that true to the book either. Overall a good movie, not really for kids, as it were.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010

should have been PG-13

this movie is definitely too mature for a PG
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written by4hunters June 26, 2010

about adult lives with adult challenges

While I think it can be really good for kids to see adults having to struggle and work at work and at marriage, there's a lot of content that is just about adult lives, and really doesn't hold kid interest without coaching. We had to stop the DVD a lot and talk about what was really happening, and why it was interesting and/or hard for some or all of the characters. This was particularly true of the period when Jenny is just about to lose it under the stress of being at home with a difficult dog and two small children, and misses her job. These were worthwhile conversations, but the kids would have gotten little out of the movie without them.
Adult Written bykraber May 26, 2010

Good date night movie for mom and dad, NOT the kids

While I really liked this movie, it should have been PG-13 (at least) When a married couple discusses how long it's been since they've had sex, skinny dip, flounce onto the bed making out in preparation for sex, make the bed creak while having sex, it should have a PG 13 rating! I think our rating system really dropped the ball on this one. This may be a good date night movie for mom and dad, but NOT a family movie.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez April 28, 2010

13 and up.

Marley and me is a good family movie and a sad movie but parents expect a lot of mature themes about loss and mourning that maybe too much for your younger kids to handle and parents you need to know that this movie Marley and me has only one sex scene but never shown but you can hear the bed creaky characters use some mild language throughout the movie also characters drink wine or champagne when there in the beach.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrschrisc December 4, 2009

PG rating is misleading. Good movie but not for younger kids. Too much sex talk!

I was not happy that our local theatre played this during the summer family fun festival and many young kids were there. I would definitely have not taken my 9 yr old daughter if I knew that there were seeral implied sex scenes, especially one where the bed was squeaking and she calles her husband saying there is a naked lady here waiting for you. I felt bad that daycares and summer camp groups had taken 5 and 6 yr olds to the movie that day too. I am sure they would have chose not go go either if they knew about the sex material. Not cool, Marcus Cinema. Also, movie ratings should have made it PG-13 rating for sure.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAmyluya November 5, 2009

Extremely emotional film best suited to older teens and adults

This movie is not at all for the younger set. It is a movie about real life and, although there's nothing wrong with that, most younger kids don't need to be exposed to those things quite yet. There are hard lessons in this movie....coming to grips with a life that didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, the difficulties in raising children, and the emotional aspects of living with a pet who becomes a member of your family. There were a lot of positive things here.....a husband and wife who truly seem to be in a loving relationship where they both do things to help make the other one happy, showing the realities of being frustrated with a pet and yet still loving and caring for it as part of the family, and children who really seem to get along as siblings. The sexual aspects of the film are not explicit, and they could open a conversation with older children about where babies come from, etc., but it is not something that children younger than 8 or 9 need to even have an inkling of, I think. Overall, this is not a "for the whole family" type of movie. If anything, it is a movie that is best enjoyed by adults, although there would be little worry for teenagers watching it. It is, however, very highly emotional and could really upset more sensitive children and youths.
Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Not a movie for the whole family

The commercials make Marley and Me look a movie for the whole family. Don't be fooled. It should be at least rated PG-13. The movie is barely about Marley, but I still cried when he died, even though I hated the movie. Nothing inappropriate is shown, but it's talked about.