Parent reviews for Marriage Story

All-too-real divorce drama isn't kid stuff; strong language.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byWilmarmail August 3, 2020

Difficult yet formidable tool to discuss divorce with grade school children.

My 9 year old saw the trailer on Netflix and got very curious because of the actors (Adam Driver from Star Wars and Scarlett Johansson from Avengers). After I explained that the movie was more about a divorce than a marriage, she was even more interested. Her mom and I live together, however my daughter has had at least three close friends live through family dissolution due to divorce since she has been in school. She was really intrigued by the premise.
Once we discussed the issues of language, and I explained there would be a scene of sensuality (car kissing with explicit language) that we needed to skip, it was quite an emotional, yet worthy ride.
She took sides, she changed sides of whom she was rooting for, she then hated characters outside of the married (and divorcing) couple, and then was much more able to understand that, after all, divorce is something she still cannot yet comprehend, but at least can understand.
Watching this movie together laying close together while holding a tablet was a formidable father-daughter bonding and educational experience.

Adult Written byusername.username May 17, 2020

sad

I think that it’s a great movie that illustrates the struggle between parents as they divorce. I think that kids under 13 should be weary of the language used. But otherwise great and heartbreaking

Adult Written byChris_Feher April 17, 2020

For Older Teens and Adults

Marriage Story is definitely a mature drama about the breaking apart of a couple. The movie's contents include strong language throughout, a scene where a man accidentally cuts himself (blood), several instances of explicit sex talk, and one scene where a woman asks someone to finger her. I would personally say that anyone 16 and over should be fine. Anybody under that age may want to be cautious. Overall though, I give this movie a 5/5. It is very moving, realistic and riveting. A definite must-watch for adults.

Adult Written byjustice for movies March 28, 2020

this movie is the best

Warning it contains a lot of swearing and sexual and drug references

Adult Written byNoonYo January 26, 2020

One of the best movies of the decade

Not for kids. Deeply moving and it’s got Sondheim

Adult Written byMoneydog23 January 18, 2020

Adult Written bySannya January 7, 2020

Excelent Movie, but not with kids

Yes, there is no nudity but there is too much sex talk and bad language you wouldn't want to watch with kids.
Spoiler:
At one point the lead actress asks a guy she just met to just "finger"her while they kiss in a car.
And the list goes on...

Adult Written bySMBB December 15, 2019

Masterpiece, potentially painful

To any kids, including adult children, who have gone through their parents' (or their own) divorce, this film touches , and could rekindle, extremely hurtful moments and memories. Divorce, particularly when children are involved, is surely one of the greatest tragedies that people can go through, even when it happens for all the "right" reasons. This film takes the subject on through brilliant writing and directing, and truly memorable and profound acting, which makes the movie a rare masterpiece, but also carries the risk of forcing people to either relive some of their most painful memories, or (for younger children especially) see the possibilities of marital disaster that they probably shouldn't be (and certainly don't need to be) exposed to before they have more knowledge and experience of life under their belts. It's a tough journey, but a magnificent film.
Adult Written byMLS404 December 9, 2019

A solid delivery about Divorce and Communication

Although some of the language can be harsh, if you swear around your teens they will be fine watching it. Teenagers with parents going thru the divorce may get insight to how divorce is between adults and has nothing to do with them and that they can still love each other. Also how important communication can be as they enter their own dating period and understanding how giving up what you want to please another could come as regret down the road. There is an f bomb dropped during the argument scene in reference to sex that should blow past teens however and a scene after a party the mom attends has sexual word that only offers value to adult viewers and could be misinterpret by teens. It's not shown. There is a reference to occasional drug use that could also be misinterpreted by teenagers as not a bad thing in the way it's presented. Without these elements I would say 12+ could gain from watching, however its in there and in key places so more suitable for mature minded teen.

Adult Written byjacobmovie December 7, 2019
Adult Written byDarylTheStudent November 23, 2019

Marriage Story

Marriage Story is a really excellent drama about how a couple divorcing, based on director Noah Baumbach's divorce, with Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson giving great performances, and a funnier than expected script. The MPAA rating states "language throughout", but there are less than 50 f-words in the movie, I'd say around 30 or 40 of them are used, mostly in two scenes where the couple argue. Other profanities are used as well. Additionally, a woman makes out with a guy and asks him to stimulate her, and a person admits to doing drugs.