Parent reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Mary Poppins Returns Poster Image

"Don't bother" is a good way to put it.

This is the kind of junk (probably expensive junk, given the musical sequences and special effects) that Hollywood likes to produce, but I don't like to watch. There's really nothing to recommend about it, though Blunt's acting is fine. It isn't funny or interesting or entertaining, and as for the message, it is simply, "If you would only start believing in nonsense, your real-world problems would be solved." Pure drivel.
1 person found this helpful.

Pros and Cons, written by wife of user, needs to be at least 7 because of dangerous stunts, not exactly PG after that--more like G

Pros: Beautiful to watch. At the beginning I was thinking "this is going to be awesome" but overtime things began to change as you'll see in cons. It's also fairly clean with an effort to put it on par with the first movie in appropriateness. I also enjoyed the cameos--Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke are always a treat. Positive message about investing and holding onto what's most important. Characters have mostly good manners. One of the lead women is bold and active in her community without running afoul of the law or common decency like her counterpart in the last movie (though I do think the 1930s was pushing it as far as wearing pants all the time goes--you really have to get to the 40s-60s to avoid the shock it would have caused and possibly inability to be admitted to some places). The main character does a great service when a widower is about to lose his home. There's also a great message about not being rude--Miss. Poppins does not appreciate people asking her age or weight. Cons: The music rushes by far too quickly to be understood--perhaps in hindsight a good thing for the inappropriate song because even with subtitles I couldn't comprehend what they were saying (it takes place on the stage when the children enter the cartoon in case you are wondering where to fast-forward, they talk about what's underneath the covers--it's supposed to be about books, but there's a reason Miss Poppins changes from a victorian to a flapper haircut and she uses the term "covers" and a focus on people instead of "cover" and just book content if you catch my drift--but I didn't catch any sultry dancing and honestly you probably won't need to fast-forward just don't have them watch the movie too much). Too much of the movie was about nostalgics and making connections to the first. It's true that what happens to people when they die is a given a mostly atheist/agnostic perspective and is repeatedly brought up because the father feels uneasy, however it's not made into a frighteningly empty answer, they do dress it up with a little imagination and positive thinking dealing with her not really being gone because she's not forgotten like some kind of cherished lost sock presumably to hold the younger audience over until they can handle reality (think 1996 Little Princess without the angel explanation). Which is fine, it's their belief/movie company's policy to approach things in this way--I just paused and asked my child, "Hmm, that person seems confused as to where his wife went when she died--can you explain what actually happened?" My child shares my faith and gave a faith oriented answer, and that was that. There's no real moral to this movie except the bare bones plot--it's there to entertain and excite the imagination. Perhaps devoid of most controversy--but in playing it too safe it's not super worthwhile or edifying because of that. Your child might relate strongly to this more than you will, especially when the adults won't believe the children even though the children can see that dishonesty has taken place. However I'm not sure how they will process all the fast singing. The music is not nearly as good as the first by the way. Other than perhaps "where the lost things go", it's just a bunch of senseless not very catchy noise. There was really no point in visiting Cousin Topsy-Turvey from Russia/Poland/Ukraine, wherever, or throw in the side romance and Miss. Poppins discussing it--just more things to take up screen time. The scary scenes would make it a 6, borderline 5. However the dangerous stunts bump it up to a 7, unless you are with them and very diligent then probably a 5 or even pushing a 4 if they don't scare easily. A major character puts a ladder on the back of his bike and everyone justs sits on it, his girlfriend later rides it sidesaddle even though she has pants--not sure that was the best choice. Bike helmets were invented decades before then, they just weren't widely available until 50 years ago--so you'll need to explain why they aren't wearing them. Stunts are performed on them and look easy and inviting to do. The worst is when they just stack ladders on top of each other to climb a clock tower---UM NO, not for a children's movie, bad idea especially since I'm sure if you have children you notice they attempt to put pillows on top of chairs to reach things up high. When the children ask Miss. Poppins to turn back time no magic is involved, the message here is that you can just break into things and manipulate them to make what you want happen. It might be unclear to your children why Miss. Poppins doesn't always tell the truth, something magical will happen and she'll add that it's ridiculous, no such thing. She is also very vain, looking at herself in the mirror and talking about how perfect she is, although that happens in the first. There are also plot holes--the children's father is a starving artist/part-time teller during the depression but somehow he can afford a kitchen maid??? Also wouldn't the house have been paid off by now it's been many decades since the first?

The animation is a bit intense.

Excellent music, spot on performance by Emily Blunt and a technicolor energy that offers a dazzling array of visual delight. All of these things make for a memorable and joyous Mary Poppins experience. The only awkward part of the film is the animation which feels a bit intense for a children's film. My son was definitely scared and talked about the scary wolves for a long time after the film was long over (he was 4 at the time). But he also wanted to sing Trip the Light Fantastic for weeks on end, soooooo.
My kids really enjoyed this one and watched it several times. I thought is well done. Fantastic job bringing back Mary Poppins.

Should not have been done

This movie does not even come close to being the masterpiece Mary Poppins the original movie is. It is not even close to anything a sequel should be. I was so disappointed with the lack of everything. I have never said anything about a movie publicly before but I had to find a place to say how sad this attempt truly is. Negative 10 stars.

Magically Wonderful

It's absolutely wonderful! The live action makes it for a little older audience but it is just marvelous! A good movie night for the whole family.

Better than original!

I love this! Everyone should watch this one! I might even think this is better than the original!

Thank you Mary Poppins for warmly reminding us that anything is possible

Mrs. Shullivan and I treated ourselves to a special early Christmas present by attending the opening night of Mary Poppins Returns. Our anticipation for this night was more than just rewarded, we received a very pleasant reminder that although we are more than half a century old we are all still children at heart if we just allow our imaginations to wander as when we were children. Emily Blunt was perfectly cast as Mary Poppins as was Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack the Lantern lighter. The story line surrounds the now adult Michael Banks (Ben Whishaw) who lost his wife just a few years ago and is trying to raise his three (3) young children in the original Banks family home at 17 Cherry Tree Lane. Michael's sister Jane (Emily Mortimer) is single, never married, and has her own apartment while she fights for the rights of the low income workers. Michael Banks three children are Anabel,John and the youngest Georgie. The three Banks children love their father and sooner than they should have to worry about losing their home through a bank foreclosure , Mary Poppins magically appears. Mrs. Shullivan and I, as well as the rest of the theaters audience let out a noticeable sigh of relief because we realized that the magic of a Walt Disney movie is now upon us, and we were not disappointed in our faith in Mary Poppins. Quite the contrary, the evening was perfect as the films songs were beautiful, the dance numbers choreographed and animated to as many animals as were on Noah's Ark, the cinematography magical and the story of Michael and Jane Banks and the children that warms one's heart. We especially loved the Banks childrens first afternoon bath with Mary Poppins and their most colorful and animated underworld adventure with song and dreams of a magical world. Just believe and anything is possible!

"Mary...Poppins, you came back!"

There is some violence in the film, so I give it for 6 and up. Maybe this is even better than the first, because I like Mary's outfit better!

We love loved this film and so did our toddler

This is a really nice sequel to Mary Poppins. It is all about love and imagination. The mother has died in the past and their is some sadness about that, but it's in a way that isn't too upsetting. Their is a villain but he isn't too scary and is not in the film much. The scariest part would be an animated section with a chase scene. However, our son is sensitive and not exposed to violence, and he was fine with it.